First Look of New R4 shell and PCB

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ahtin, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ahtin
    OP

ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hong Kong
  2. suppachipmunk

suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    Very cool. Anything different other than the cosmetics?

3. Icarus

Icarus fire walk with me

Feb 3, 2006
    United States
    Big Appleu
    Hmmm the pins aren't seperated on this new shell. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

4. cory1492

cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2005
    Canada
    Home, WhereElse?
    Shouldn't matter unless you have done something to seriously damage your DS. The pins in a DS are fairly rigid.

5. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    Still uses the same ATF01 IC, looks like just updates to the shell along with a loader mechanism for the Micro SD.

To the posted above, it might fix a issue which some people complain about when there R4 doesn't read when inserted, most usually fixed it by putting paper between the case and PCB. I for one haven't had this issue.

6. 4saken

4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Nov 28, 2006
    Holy shit. That's fugly >_> I liked the spring and the little curve in the case..

7. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
    Is it possible to do the hardware english/chinese switch with it?

8. 4saken

4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Nov 28, 2006
    Doesn't look like it. You can probably still do the software/kernel conversion thing

9. Kellicros

Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2006
    LOL, it is kind of funny when there are many people find the spring troublesome, there are people who like it. I myself have my MicroSD card springed out once accidentally, and I had to look really hard to find it. But the good thing is, I am more careful when inserting the MicroSD after that incident. Now, now, if only they launch this new shell with a new... better firmware.

10. h8uthemost

h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2006
    United States
    Why not just make a better spring, rather than just taking it out? That really sucks this new isn't going to be spring loaded.

11. 111111111

111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2007
    glad I got one of the early R4's with spring-loaded microsd slot. any friends who ask me which cart to get now will be recommended the cyclods.

12. Joey Ravn

Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Aug 29, 2007
    I much rather have a broken spring on my R4 than on my DS (the one that holds the cart). IMO, it's a bad move to make it hold the microSD card on its side, like the EZ Flash V.
    On slot-2 carts, it wasn't much of a problem, because they were stuck with pressure onto the DS, but taking a slot-1 cart in and out everytime you want to somehow change the contents of the microSD card...

13. Nero

Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

Aug 11, 2007
    United States
    I guess I'll report back here when I receive the "new-shelled" R4.

I'm getting it, probably by Monday.

([​IMG]) I'm pretty charitable, so I'm giving my old R4 to a family member.