First gaming experience on a retro console?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pong, Christmas 1975. It wasn't a retro console then, it had just been released. My cousin got it for Christmas and my uncle brought it, and a 19" TV, to our house for the big family Christmas day get together. I was 8 and he was 7. We played on it for hours and I neglected basically everything I got for Christmas that year, which displeased my parents quite a bit. That little TV was ruined by burn-in before they even left that day. I didn't get a game system until I guess three years later, one of the 2600 six-switch models. Wish I still had it.

Zyvyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did you first play a retro game or console for the first time?

Mine was the original Super Mario Bros arcade machine when I was a little kid on holiday. I pumped loads of money into that thing over that summer, mind was blown when I discovered the warps!
Playing Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s hard to tell because, at the time, my consoles weren’t “retro”. :P Obviously I grew up with a NES (or in my case a Famiclone, since Nintendo didn’t have a presence in my country until the N64) and a Game Boy Color, but I wouldn’t consider that to be a “retro” experience since that’s what was contemporary to me.

I think the first time I went out of my way to purchase a retro machine and play something from the past was the time when I bought a second-hand Dreamcast, which at that point was discontinued, if only by a couple years (it must’ve been the mid-2000’s since I’ve already owned a GameCube for a while). Funny story, one time at a PC enthusiast meet I saw someone selling a copy of Sonic Adventure and I knew that I just had to own it. It’s Sonic, I don’t have it yet, I don’t need any other reason. I purchased it, foolishly hoping that my PC would be able to emulate the Dreamcast at least semi-decently. It could not, but it wasn’t a big deal - I had to own a copy anyway. Some time after that, during another PC meet, I saw someone selling a Dreamcast in decent condition. Eureka! Now I can play that video game I bought and couldn’t play on account of not even owning the console it was made for. :lol:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s hard to tell because, at the time, my consoles weren’t “retro”. :P Obviously I grew up with a NES (or in my case a Famiclone, since Nintendo didn’t have a presence in my country until the N64) and a Game Boy Color, but I wouldn’t consider that to be a “retro” experience since that’s what was contemporary to me.

I think the first time I went out of my way to purchase a retro machine and play something from the past was the time when I bought a second-hand Dreamcast, which at that point was discontinued, if only by a couple years (it must’ve been the mid-2000’s since I’ve already owned a GameCube for a while). Funny story, one time at a PC enthusiast meet I saw someone selling a copy of Sonic Adventure and I knew that I just had to own it. It’s Sonic, I don’t have it yet, I don’t need any other reason. I purchased it, foolishly hoping that my PC would be able to emulate the Dreamcast at least semi-decently. It could not, but it wasn’t a big deal - I had to own a copy anyway. Some time after that, during another PC meet, I saw someone selling a Dreamcast in decent condition. Eureka! Now I can play that video game I bought and couldn’t play on account of not even owning the console it was made for. :lol:
How big was the let down of finally playing Sonic adventure (presuming you had done the 8-16 bit era stuff before then of course)?

Pong, Christmas 1975. It wasn't a retro console then, it had just been released.
Personally I count mechanical games in arcades as retro.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How big was the let down of finally playing Sonic adventure (presuming you had done the 8-16 bit era stuff before then of course)?

It wasn’t a let-down at all, to be honest. I grew up on 1-3 and enjoyed them thoroughly, but I also really like the Adventure series - Adventure 2 Battle is one of my favourite games on the GameCube, and one of the reasons why I didn’t consider it a complete waste of money. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It wasn’t as good as Adventure 2, but I did have fun playing it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I remember a trip to Ocean City MD in 1972 (I think) and nights on the boardwalk ... pinball and electro-mechanical arcade machines as far as the eye could see LOL. Oh and Skee-ball of course. But I was just a little 5yo runt then.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generic black & white Multi Game Pong tv games from the late 70's/early 80's. It also had a light gun. I remember it was basically a white square that would fly across the screen for you to shoot. I must of been about 5 or 6.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You only had manuals?
That is unfortunate.
@FAST6191 i kept these manuals,i first have the SuperNintendo(Pal 1993),then i changed it with a SuperNes(USA 1994))until February 1996 and then in April 1996 i bought the Playstation SCPH-3000(japan version)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait, you guys count arcades too? Well damn, I did skip primary school once to play at the arcade. In my defense, I *thought* we had a day off, but... as it turns out my buddy was lying so we could play games all day. Of all the machines there I distinctly remember Operation Wolf, or one of its many clones. Two UZIs, baby!

Reactions: Mama Looigi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When I had some change I used to go to the bowling alley which had a few arcade games, they mostly had racing games though. I was like 8 at that time.
But I think me playing NES for the first time predates that, as moms boyfriend at the time had a NES. I wasn't more than 5 or 6 at the time so I don't really remember any of it, but I do remember playing Super Mario Bros (not sure which one, I think 3?)

Reactions: Mama Looigi
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, you guys count arcades too? Well damn, I did skip primary school once to play at the arcade. In my defense, I *thought* we had a day off, but... as it turns out my buddy was lying so we could play games all day. Of all the machines there I distinctly remember Operation Wolf, or one of its many clones. Two UZIs, baby!
I think Op Wolf only had one uzi so it was probably the sequel Op Thunderbolt.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have this image burned into my brain forever from playing the game so much..

hqdefault.jpg

Latest photos

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: