OP
Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
500x_nintendo_dsi_only.jpg
QUOTE said:
Nintendo's Masato Kuwahara, project lead on the Nintendo DSi hardware, revealed that games playable only on the latest revision Nintendo DS were in the works at this year's GDC. Those first DSi-only games will hit this fall, sources tell Kotaku.

Software that will only work on a Nintendo DSi will join titles playable on a Nintendo DS or DS Lite that also feature DSi-specific enhanced capabilities, like Ubisoft's Jam Sessions 2 and My Healthy Cooking Coach. Games and apps that will only be playable on a DSi will be visually distinct from past product, sources say.

Those DSi-only games will be packaged in all-white game cases, making them stand out from the standard dark gray cases of currently available Nintendo DS games. Those cases will sport a warning that the software is only compatible with the Nintendo DSi. DSi-only game cards themselves will use a similar white plastic, but it's unclear if those re-colored cards will have any difficulty fitting into a DS or DS Lite cartridge slot.

Another unknown is if DSi-only software will take advantage of the expanded tech specs unique to the Nintendo DSi.

It appears that, like Wii MotionPlus, that Nintendo will be letting third-party publishers take the lead in offering DSi-only software. Nintendo itself has offered plenty of downloadable DSiWare games that are system specific, but it has yet to announce any DSi-only retail games as part of its future lineup. Still a risky proposition, considering the comparatively smaller userbase of the DSi platform and the possibility for consumer confusion.

We contacted Nintendo for comment on the introduction of DSi-only games this year, but the company did not respond to requests before publishing.

Source: Kotaku

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The faster the first DSi only game comes out, the sooner we'll have DSi Only Capable flashcarts.
smile.gif

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This might get good anyway there are few good games that currently actually utilize DSi enhanced capabilities and only 1 coming soon. I still need more information on what games will be DSi cart only.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems more a plot of trying to "out maneuver" pirating fans than a chance to take advantage of such a small increase of technology.

The entire concept of the DSi reeks of the days of Mii Parade updates slinking through, thinking it was quite stealthy in its obvious intent at trying to stop exploits. You know, the useless junk piled over what it's really for.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Celice said:
This seems more a plot of trying to "out maneuver" pirating fans than a chance to take advantage of such a small increase of technology.

The entire concept of the DSi reeks of the days of Mii Parade updates slinking through, thinking it was quite stealthy in its obvious intent at trying to stop exploits. You know, the useless junk piled over what it's really for.
Except in this case, we actually have better hardware capable of better games.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Spikey said:
The faster the first DSi only game comes out, the sooner we'll have DSi Only Capable flashcarts.
smile.gif
Hrm, would these work on current cards? Theoretically that is. Might have to hold off after all then I guess

QUOTE(Celice @ Aug 31 2009, 10:39 PM) This seems more a plot of trying to "out maneuver" pirating fans than a chance to take advantage of such a small increase of technology.

wut, DSi has 4x the RAM of the original DS and 2x the mhz

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing this isn't going to last for very long.....I figure that there may be between 20 and 100 titles total for DSi only.

The DSi is not much of an upgrade to the lite, hmm added functionalities such as the built in camera and expandable ram so they can have downloadable content, and even though it may have a faster processor I highly doubt any of the games made for it will really take advantage of the extra power(which isn't much in the first place).

Nintendo Really needs to come out with a next gen handheld now, they need to bring out a handheld that's capable of at least 128bit graphics.

What they're doing with the DSi is trying to prolong the life of the DS before they have to come out with a new handheld.

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally a dsi only game. But uh, what is it? From the sounds of it it's a first party game but plz can they give us a little more info.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because if there's anything parents buying video games for their kids know, it's how to distinguish a DSi from a DS. I predict a lot of angry+otherwise innocent customers and returns if these indeed end up on retail shelves.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Charmandersrule said:
Finally a dsi only game. But uh, what is it? From the sounds of it it's a first party game but plz can they give us a little more info.

the article specifically states that at first, there will only be 3rd party dsi games
wink.gif

QUOTEIt appears that, like Wii MotionPlus, that Nintendo will be letting third-party publishers take the lead in offering DSi-only software. Nintendo itself has offered plenty of downloadable DSiWare games that are system specific, but it has yet to announce any DSi-only retail games as part of its future lineup.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No big deal, this actually no different from the Gameboy Color titles.

Black cartridges meant it was Gameboy Color enhanced, whilst clear cartridges would only work on the Gameboy Color.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spikey said:
smile.gif

Yep, I second that, the sooner the pirates(privateers?) get their hands on a dsi only game, the quicker they can reverse engineer the cartridges and we will get true DSi capable carts for homebrew/piracy. We have seen that they are not above cheap tricks (danny phantom anyone?) in order to get the job done.

Only thing now I have to decide: go ahead and buy a DSi now (with a new DS flash cart) or not? Since I keep up with the scene, I'll probably wait as I'll know the point to jump in.... I just don't want to get burned like with the PSP... I Started messing around with some old PS1 games, looked at getting a PSP to play them on the go, and come to find out new ones I see on the shelves now are limited in the CFW option enabling old PS1 game image use...

Before I start getting flamed:
1) I'm not saying the cloning the boot signature on flash carts is not a viable option to make sure your product doesn't become crap, just not the clean solution they seemed to promise...

2) I have heard about the Chick/HEN option for newer PSP's, but that's a hit or miss work around each time you power on, not a permanent solution as with the old pandora battery trick for a persistent CFW... guess it's wait and see, or find a shop selling PSP 2000's pre-modded.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
But but but all our game boxes are white
smile.gif
Guess that means Europe'll get DSi software in those slim black ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]