First Dragonball Promotional Image!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nottulys, May 12, 2008.

May 12, 2008
  1. Nottulys
    OP

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/First-official-Dr...g/49/aid/119977

Since they didnt use nobody good for Goku, the rest of the cast is some pretty well known actors(with the exception of the ladies, but they look pretty hot anyway), and the guy from Kun-fu Hustle & Shaolin Soccer is producing it.

I still have high hopes for this movie, since the show is one of my favorite animes, heres to them not screwing it up! [​IMG]

2. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    You have high hopes for THIS movie? Seriously? I was about as diehard a DragonBall fan as one can be years ago, but I don't have anything but contempt for this film. It never should have been made. The hair alone is impossible (as proven by Goku). All this will do will tarnish the already tarnished image of the DragonBall franchise. I'm willing to give almost anything a chance, but in this case, not only should this film never have been made... I'll bet it's going to considered one of the worst films of all-time.

3. Nottulys
    OP

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, being that it has Stephen Chow and Chow yun Fat, two already established Legends, this movie shouldnt be bad, if at all. After I seen the fight scene in Matrix 3, I was pretty sold on the fact that if they made a Dragonball Movie (really hoping for the Z series) the air fighting would be insane. I didnt want a remake of the Original Dragonball movie, entitled "DragonPearls"...that movie is a great movie, but now we get a modernized version.

4. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
  5. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    While they may be legends, you could have said the same thing about Jason Statham, John Rhys-Davis, Ron Pearlman & Matthew Lillard. All of whome had their fingers in "In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" which is by your favorite director and mine, Uwe Boll....

(this could be an interesting movie, because the director is NOT shit, unlike whome i just previously mentioned. Its Peter Wong, of Final Destination 1 and 3 fame, so there *is* potential goodness that could come from this [​IMG])

6. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    This movie could not be packed more full of fail.

I pity who ever ends up stuck with doing publicity for this ... this is a potential 'career killer' for any publicist ... as well as any actor or director ...

7. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Dragon Ball, the Magic Begins...
    It's a crappy Dragonball knock off flick, done cheaply with unknowns and a bunch of cheesy effects... I mean lots of wire-work, etc...

It's crap, but it's really really fun crap. Maybe the new movie will at least.. well, ok.. it prolly won't even be good and cheesy. *sadface*

8. Ace Gunman

Canada
    I really expect this film to end up like Speed Racer except worse. With Speed Racer you at least have the benefit of a really interesting stylistic look. The thing is, that's all it is. It's all pretty colors and nothing else. It's the cotton candy of films. I expect this film to be the same, except without the colors; all of the sugar and fluff, and none of the visual perks.

9. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    This is either gonna get fastballed at the public ... solid bombardment, loads of merch ... or they are gonna ghost it into the movies ... and pray ... a lot ...

10. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    The only thing that tarnished Dragonball here was GT and thats pretty well forgotten. I can still get Dragonball gachapon all over the place or walk into Village Vanguard and get any number of crazy Dragonball goods.

11. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I watched the English dub of Dragon Ball Z first and loved it.

Dragon Ball and GT made me puke, GT especially. The movie looks low-budget and shabby.

12. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    I think it has potential, the quality of the cast is high enough to make it a fairly decent movie.

13. Chotaz

Member Chotaz I'm back! :D

Portugal
    Goku without the hair ain't goku no moar [​IMG]

14. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Truth. [​IMG]

Personally I would have chosen Trigun and not DBZ. [​IMG]

15. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    His hair actually isn't that hard to achieve, realistically. I actually had hair like his before.. LOL. I dyed my hair copper-goldish and had it spiked. Somewhat fohawkish (is that what they call it?) and had bangs sticking out at random places. Wow, high school days. That was fun.

As for the movie, it has potential seeing that computer graphics nowadays is so much better. Imagine Square enix making DBZ movie, now THAT's worth watching IMO. I just love their FF7 movie.

16. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    DBZ movie will suck. Their first mistake was it to make it as a live action movie.......

17. Ace Gunman

Canada
    GT was actually my favorite. It was a fanboys wet dream. We got to see how the Z warriors lives continue to develop and change. Zs ending was a non-ending, it felt like another beginning, in fact (which is how GT approached it); whereas the finale of GT gave me closure. I finally felt like Goku's journey had come to an end. Plus, they tied up pretty much every loose end from DB and Z.

Another reason I enjoyed it was because to me, it felt like the perfect balance of DragonBall, and DragonBall Z. DragonBall was this adventure story of growing up, whereas DragonBall Z was this epic series of battles and about getting stronger. DragonBall GT had the adventure element and the youthful spark, but the fighting and constant struggle for power was still very much there.

As for DragonBall GT tarnishing the franchise... no. I speak for myself and every DB fan I knew in real life when I say that we looked forward to GT more than anything else. For most of the late 90s and later it was this mysterious thing to we North Americans because the internet was still young, information was scarce, etc. It was this mythical amazing thing that we wanted no matter what. Oh, and for the record, all of you people who say "DBGT doesn't count because it wasn't by Toriyama?"; it was. He didn't write every storyline, but he was heavily consulted on every plot element, every character design, and so on.

No, the reason the franchise is tarnished is because DragonBall is the most well-known anime franchise in the world. So much so that its popularity polarized (just like Pokemon, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc) and people started hating it. It happens with everything popular. If it gets too popular, it's automatically crap to the general public. DBZ is the single most common example I see when people bring up bad animes. They look at it and they say "This is all anime is. Yelling and screaming and muscles and 30 episode fight scenes". Now obviously I don't feel that way, as a fan, but to many DBZ is the anime equivalent of Wrestling.

To make a long story short, the DragonBall franchise is simultaneously the most beloved and despised anime series in the world. It is its own worst enemy. I don't care though, I loved it. [​IMG]

18. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    My argument mostly isn't that GT sucks (though I maintain it wasn't that good, especially after reading the manga), it's that Dragonball being tarnished doesn't apply here.

I guess, if you live outside of Japan - while it's anime outside of here, in here it's just another series, though well loved and well known (I am trying to think of a good analogy and not many come to mind - there are some series that were like that for my generation in the U.S., but not as generally popular as Dragonball, in large part thanks to the manga). One of my ex's fathers read the whole manga while my students still have DB pencil cases, lunch boxes, etc. I remember first hearing about this movie - I was having lunch with the other teachers and Nakano-sensei was surfing the web and was like "Oh, they're making a Dragonball movie in America." What she was talking about needed no explanation, even among 30, 40 year old teachers.

I guess though it's not the same - most people, especially adults, here know the series through the manga, while those in other countries (and I guess most of my kids that are into it) know it through the cartoon or the games.

In the U.S. anime nerds argue about it I suppose, but DBZ is too mainstream for that here. Anime nerds (a few of my students very much included) argue who is better Rei or Asuka, not about Dragonball.

19. Ace Gunman

Canada
    Ah, I see. Well actually, that's the problem here. It's too mainstream. In North American culture too mainstream = bad. We're obsessed with making things popular, having the whole world love something. And then as soon as they do? People hate it. That's why we're obsessed with our so-called indie bands these days. We latch on to bands no one has ever heard of, turn them into the next big thing, and then as soon as they are we call them sellouts and their music crap, and then we repeat the process with a new band.

That's what DragonBall suffers from... our culture's tendency to make something so popular, so mainstream that people start to hate it. We're actually quite stupid. We want unpopular trends to be popular, but then when they are, it makes them unpopular again. It's all very confusing and odd. [​IMG]

20. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    So true! [​IMG]