GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wii-motecrashjapan.jpg

Look at the post's date: December 2nd. The same day that the Wii went on sale in Japan, some unlucky gamer ended up with a Wii-mote flying into a pricey TV during a game of Wii Sports Tennis. He blogs:
"I was thinking that this had happened a lot in America, and that we better be careful. And then I was thinking that my son's game play looked dangerous..."
The damage in this priceless pic yielded a 200,000 yen (approx. US $1,750) repair estimate. All this despite those lengthy safety warnings!

[Via post date site here]

Australia or Euro Next!
blink.gif

------

Wii + broken HDTV = Price of PS3
dry.gif

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
And if you go on to read his following posts, you`ll see his son only had the strap over his hand, and not tightened at all. The strap didn`t break. As he didn`t use that little plastic stopper thing, it just flew off his wrist when his son *threw* the remote - when he was very close to the front of the tv.

I don`t really think this is quite the same as snapping straps.
smile.gif
He has said that it is totally his fault because he didn`t bother to tell his son to use the strap right, and didn`t bother to make him cool down when he was flinging the thing all over the place as only an elementary school kid can do.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
..He's not the only one

We`re talking about in Japan - which this seems to be the only reported case so far. I`m personally not really going to count this as such because a kid without a strap on right pretty much intentionally threw the thing.
When I see reports of broken straps in Japan, then I`ll be worried.

(BTW, I have a TV pretty similar to that.
biggrin.gif
)

Stormingsoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its not like the wii uses HD anyway. Just shove it on a cheap TV your not bothered about. I'm surprised Nintendo have never commented yet on the wiimote strap breaking.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I`m not doubting these things are happening - I was just saying that the case in Japan isn`t really a case because it doesn`t follow the problem thread of all the others (Strap breaking).

I personally will only worry when those sort of things start happening in Japan, where people aren`t such idiots as to violently throw their electronics about. Otherwise, I will just continue to view the problem as that of frighteningly over zealous misuse on the part of the user. The video on Youtube - besides looking staged - scares me. That guy deserves to have something bad happen with how violently he is throwing that thing.

And in regards to not using it on a nice tv - I prefer to play games on a large screen, regardless of their resolution. I think that most people will agree.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Its not like the wii uses HD anyway. Just shove it on a cheap TV your not bothered about. I'm surprised Nintendo have never commented yet on the wiimote strap breaking.

Because the only comment that would sound appropriate and polite enough would be "YOU FUCKING IDIOTS! CAN'T YOU EVEN HOLD A FUCKING REMOTE CONTROL!?"

Stormingsoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
...Could be..

But on the other hand, the strap isn't working as it should be for the cases above.
I mean.. come on everyone gets dragged into a game now and then, and when your flying around with your wiimote....you don't want to launch it

How would you feel if your safety belt in your car would snap everytime you had to break kinda hard.. and bump ya head into the windshield. It's kinda useless then..

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was already scared of misjudging the wiimode with a ball in wii sports baseball but now i am certainly sure that i really can do it !
tongue.gif

oh my .... i think i won't play that baseball ....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)