First concept images for Mad Box console's controller revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jan 22, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Wonder if they faced similar flak for when people dared to criticise the aero stuff on Vista.

2. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    The touch-screen keyboard is at the most inconvenient place.

3. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    My fingers feel unsafe looking at it.'
    Also, I think the screen is unnecessary expense. People will just see that information on the TV

4. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    People overreact about that screen thing. Wii U did it too, and despite being commercial failure this actualy worked well.
    I'm more concerned about the overall shape of the pad, but it's an early design so it will proparly change 101 times before release. It seems that Madbox is realy trying to make something more than another Android crapbox so i'll give them a chance to show what they are cookin', especialy that Sony did what they did and pretty much they are irrelevant on gaming stage. We have space for another contenter in this fight.

5. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    The Twitter feed leads me to believe this is a farce and that I should no longer give attention to it until we see something more than terrible concepts.

6. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

Oct 27, 2014
    United States
    I hate this screen idea. It's just gonna use more battery life for something nobody is gonna look at while gaming. If you really need a touchscreen, just go the PlayStation route. Gyro keyboards are also underrated

7. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    the console looks a lot like a asus RT-AC88U router, i'm not liking the controllers at all either

8. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    I'm starting to think this is all some elaborate prank

AlexMCS, Memoir, Bosca and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Why does every render from slightly mad studio look like from scammy kickstarter campain.

10. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Agreed! Fuck the PlayStation layout!

Back to the topic on hand. I LOVE the idea of these controllers! My concern is that these controllers will be expensive as fuck! Also, I'll be highly disappointed if I can't play the games off the controller. Let's be honest. These things are smaller Wii U Gamepads. If done right, they could be really good.

11. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    It's like the Wii U gamepad and the OG xbox controller had a son

12. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    This is just gonna be ouya 2.0 isn't it.

fadx likes this.
  13. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

GBAtemp Patron
    fadx is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 15, 2016
    United Kingdom
    You're not supposed to look at the controller, what a waste of money putting a screen etc. on that. About as useless as the touchscreen on the front of the console. Do they even think for 10 seconds about these design choices because they make absolutely no sense.

14. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Its actually my favourite number 1 option :)

I wish every single fan with leds on my PC had a extra cable to control their leds and shut them all OFF. My GPU RX480 Asus Strix also comes with that fancy RGB Shit, but I just flashed a RX580 bios and flashed leds OFF, it only turns white when turning PC ON and it shuts down all leds other than the small white power led.

On my PS4 sadly I had to put black tape on my controller as the shitty annoying light on the controller was making my whole room and bed blue, nothing is more distracting than playing a game with a whole bed in front looking like a lit swimming pool just in front of the TV and even reflecting the blue light in the TV frame FFS (Sony sadly only gives the max-min settings and no OFF option :whip: and in fact the DS4 have already shitty battery time and the stupid led actually eats quite a lot, theres a lot of time difference between dim and max actually for just stupid leds that I don't care).

15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Check their Twitter. The PR is atrocious and really leaves a lot to be desired.

Quoted the wrong person..

Last edited by Memoir, Jan 22, 2019
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    People learning or needing a refresher might be taught to look at the controller rather than an on screen pop up. Similarly there were plenty of things the old dreamcast VMU did -- everything from health in Resident Evil to direction/secret helps. Things which might have had a menu you were now spared, or make it a kind of tradeoff as you risk glancing down but also taking your eye off the game. On the gamecube with the GBA-link it saw a few things like the different maps for final fantasy crystal chronicles forcing teamplay as nobody had a complete map.

Whether it is worth the money and will anybody make any particular use of it? Those are good questions. There are however plenty of examples of games doing things "off screen" with handheld screens in years past.

guily6669 likes this.
  17. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Whoever is desigining this probably didn't get told they were designing something for video game industry but for some random futuristic car startup or something. It's way too ambitious, it doesn't work. We want technological stuff, but not like this...

18. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    I'd like it, if my hands weren't bleeding just by looking at it. Even Sasuke had less edges than this.

19. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    @FAST6191, yep I agree with you on the controller screen, I actually love it... I wish the DS4 controller was a touch screen instead of just the stupid touch panel.

The real problem is PRICE, with all the fancy stuff they keep showing the more and more I think this will be everything but not a "comparable price to the other Next Gen consoles", I'm already smelling 700$ on this shit or more and I bet the next feature they will show I will smell 1000$ :).

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  20. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    does anyone know the specs for this? if its like a ryzen5 with a rx480, thats ps5 specs right there, and i would maybe think twice.