First book you ever read?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by shlong, May 1, 2013.

1. shlong
    OP

shlong in memoriam of gravitas

GBAtemp Patron
    shlong is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 18, 2009
    Italy
    Charlotte's maze
    dunno if this thread's existed before, and honestly if it did then it's FAR too old to necrofuckbump so yay new thread :toot:

i was thinking about how terry pratchett's got alzheimer's and how there'll be no one to continue his work; how the harry potter series is finally done in every sense and finally how ian m banks is dying from cancer, and i tried to remember what the first book (without pretty pictures in) i ever read was, and im pretty sure that it was The Hobbit, followed by the LOTR series, and then all the HP books by my 8th birthday.

just wondering what everyone else's first books were

:toot:

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I'm pretty sure "first book" is a bit of a stretch, I remember reading shit when I was 6 or 7 but I don't remember what books. I suppose the first "serious" book>100 pages I read would be like...The Adventures of Robin Hood or something. Then I moved on to King Arthur and LOTR series, the Hobbit, the HP books, and...I'unno, a bunch of other stuff.

shlong likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I honestly can not remember as I was probably around 4 at the time and prior to that I looked over the shoulder as siblings had books read to them and apparently the ability to memorise things started early.

Assuming it was not jungle book or one of the other book versions of disney films, spot the dog, star duster (it had a little cardboard duster that would go through the pages and was awesome) then.... probably Gobbolino, the Witch's Cat. Failing that I did used to like the encyclopedia/timeline thing I had (the penchant for nonfiction also started earlier on it seems). Later on it was all about Roald Dahl though.

shlong likes this.
  4. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    I think it was probably something like "Run dog, run". I don't remember the title because I was too young to care at that time. I was just excited that I was reading (even though it didn't have words longer than three letters and few sentences longer than three words.)

The first book I read that I remember the title for, though, was definitely "Green Eggs and Ham."

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Somehow I missed out on Dr Seuss though various cousins, friends and younger siblings of similar ages took to them in a fierce way, I think to this day I have only ever seen the old animated versions of them we had on VHS

6. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    First real memorable books for me with 200+ pages were Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, and an awesome book called Me and Caleb.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    This was years back. Little 5 year old me was making my way through the local library; it was a small building, attached to the munincipal court. I had just learned how to read the letters of the alphabet and I was dying to read my first story. Their selection was simply overwhelming. They had everything, from Dr. Suess to Sesame Street to The Little Engine That Could. I was mesmerized, but I just didn't know what to take. How was I supposed to choose?

I continued to search, weighing out the options ("Well, I want to know if they'll ever stop hopping on pop, but what about that engine? I mean, he thinks he can, but can he?" I thought to myself.), when I found it. An oddly colored book, it hung from the row, looking like it was ready to leap to the floor at any second. I knew, in that second, that I had found my book. I took it to the lady behind the desk, who had nothing but nice things to say; she's the sort of person that radiates kindness and warmth.

As soon as I climbed into the back of our minivan, I set to work reading it. The book was a bit challenging at first, I do admit, but I kept at it, and eventually, I persevered. I think the experience made me the voracious reader I am today. I admit, the book was a bit dry, but I think I just enjoyed the experience of reading it most of all.

And that's how I read James Joyce's Ulysses.

8. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    I remember it well. It was Kindergarten. Every time we were given books I would find the Magic School Bus in Space book and try to read it. Took me a little while (I started before I even knew most of the Alphabet.), but after about 2 weeks I read it cover to cover. Probably why I still love Science to this day.

9. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    My first serious reading (not stupid BS that the teachers made me read in school) was....
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

What an awesome book! I read it when I was 10. It was really influential to me, it woke my interest in science (specially Geology). Now (after a long 7 years of hard work) I'm finishing my college degree in Environmental Engineer :).

The story is intriguing... but the ending sucks (just like with all of Jules Verne's novels :lol:). It always the same with this guy, he makes an amazing plot only to found out that it's really difficult to end it without resorting to a near impossible scientific explanation.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Anyway, the book is awesome... you should read it.

10. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    My mom tells me that at about 3 years old, I could read "Hop on Pop" and "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Suess, with no help at all. If you mean stuff like expansive book series, then it would be Series of Unfortunate Events, or Warriors. That would be when I was around the 2/3rd grader age. The first books I read as actual school assignments were "Secret of NIHM" and "The Cay" (4th Grade) "To Kill a Mockingbird" (5th grade) and "Enders Game" (6th grade). I was an ambitious little reader.