Hacking Firmware upgrades to stop loaders/modchips?

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is likely that firmware upgrades will attempt to stop loaders and modchips once they are available. How will hackers get around this problem?

One option is to never upgrade your firmware, because all future games should work on the original firmware because Nintendo has to assume that some people don't have internet connections. But what if games start including firmware updates on the disc, then we're screwed!

How do
psp.gif
modchips handle the firmware upgrades, if at all?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't need a mod chip in the psp. All you need is a 1.5 psp, you can downgrade from firmware 2.71 or below. The you can either use devhook or the custom fimware which will install 2.71 on your psp. You can still run games from the memory stick. Every time sony releases a firmware update, within days its been cracked. Sony can't win with firmware updates, I can't see how nintendo can either.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I can confirm that Nintendo will ship Wii firmware updates with future Wii games. So yes, PSP scene all over again, unless Nintendo doesn't want to stop loaders. They didn't really try hard for the DS. Passme to Passme 2, that's about it.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't need a mod chip in the psp. All you need is a 1.5 psp, you can downgrade from firmware 2.71 or below. The you can either use devhook or the custom fimware which will install 2.71 on your psp. You can still run games from the memory stick. Every time sony releases a firmware update, within days its been cracked. Sony can't win with firmware updates, I can't see how nintendo can either.
While it is true that Sony hasn't been able to stop the loaders, most of their problems are with exploits from security holes in older firmware.
This may or may not be a problem for Nintendo, only time will tell.

My personal bet is a drive firmware hack similar to the XenoGC and DuoQ modchips for the cube or the chips and firmwares available for the 360 drives will be the first route into hacking the Wii. Firmware updates for the Wii may well not be able to do anythingto stop that.
Like the 360 I don't think we'll see any homebrew at first or maybe for a long time. Backup loading though I reckon will be a reality sooner rather than later.

It's all just speculation and personal opinion though..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM