Firmware Update -> No USB Mode

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Blick, Oct 8, 2007.

Oct 8, 2007

Firmware Update -> No USB Mode by Blick at 7:00 PM (1,125 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Blick
    OP

Newcomer Blick Newbie

United States
    The card I have is an Ultra FlashPass 1.0 Gb. It's just a slot-1 deal, there's no slot-2 device or anything. Here's a picture of it for further clarification. Currently, the only way I can load stuff on and dump stuff off of it is to use an old version of ufpex, 1.0.0.1. If I try using a more recent version of that software, I just get a blank menu when I start up my DS.

x_x Hopefully, that's enough to identify what this is.

Anyhow, I'd like to upgrade the card's firmware so that I don't have to mess around with that hoop and have better support for savetypes. There's also something I hear about that one can change the savetype settings for games without reloading all the data from a PC, which would just be raw awesomeness for me.

So, I have no problems loading udisk.nds onto my card, and running it. I do a full format, and everything checks out good. I'm then prompted to copy menu.dat to the card. This is where I'm having the problem.

Turn off DS. Plug card into computer. Windows XP doesn't recognize the drive as a USB drive. It just shows up as "Removable Disk" on My Computer.

So, uh, are there some drivers or something that I need to download for Windows, or is this just one of the instances where I should just go, "Screw it, birthday's coming up anyways, get a better flash card"?

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I think that would be best. There are much better flashcarts out there cheaper

- Sam

3. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    I had that as well, just carry on as normal. But this time remove the usb from your DS and replug it before you use your DS every time. [​IMG]

4. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    If you want to get rid of it, I want to buy it.
    Do you want to sell it?

EDIT:
    Looking at your post again, It would probably work if you dragged the Xmenu.dat onto the Removable Disc icon.
    Or double click the Icon and drag the file into the window that shows up.

5. Blick
    OP

Newcomer Blick Newbie

United States
    You've got guts to ask some random single-count stranger on the internet to sell something. I'd rather not sell it, as my current place of residence has lousy postal service, and it actually wouldn't be the first time if the thing would take 3 months for it to reach you. Additionally, unless I get a new one, this is my only one.

Anyhow, double-clicking or dragging files to the Removable Disc icon just pops up an alert box asking me to insert a disk, it won't actually write anything to it. I've also done the silly thing, and inserted the USB stick in without the cart, then put the cart in when it asked me to insert a disk, to no success.

6. quartercast

Member quartercast GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Those old USB readers are shocking, you need to get your hands on a slot-2 fireline writer. Then, you can flash a later version of the UFP/N-card firmware on it via slot-2 USB, and say goodbye to the UFP PC software forever! [​IMG]

7. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I contacted the owner of minionlinestore and he sells USB writers for 5GBP with free shipping.

8. Blick
    OP

Newcomer Blick Newbie

United States
    Ah, cool, so I just need to get a fireline writer? Well, if they're what paul1991 says they cost (about $10.00 USD, it seems), that sounds like a really reasonable price, so that sounds the way to go. [​IMG]