Firmware corruption? White screen of death?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Asaki, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Asaki
    OP

Asaki Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2007
    United States
    I'm probably a few years too late, but I'm having an issue with my original "phat" model DS. It must have started somewhat recently, within the last year.

I first noticed it when I went to change the time settings on the alarm clock. On the main menu screen, I tried going into the options screen, and it started to load, and then just froze right up. I thought taking the battery out and popping it back in might help, but it actually made things worse. Now, it won't even boot up at all. I'll get the "Nintendo DS" boot screen, then it'll fade to white and stay there.

I do have my DS set up to autoboot, so I can still play games with it, but it would be nice if I could fix this. I've never flashed the firmware, so that shouldn't be the issue. A search tells me that this is a common issue with n5 cards, with a fuse in the console getting blown (the "fix" was a dead link), but I don't have one of those. I do have a newer R4i card from r4ids.cn with SCHD support, but it says those are supposed to be safe.

If it is the R4i causing this, should I keep it away from other DSes, and especially my 3DS??

2. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    You wont like this but here is what you have to do:
    1. Open the console
    2. Put your multimeter to do continuity test and probe the fuses
    3. Replace the blown one with a new one
    It seems easy but its not. You first need to identify the fuse and then you have to hope that the continuity test wont show that it is working because it leaks from elsewhere in the circuitry. This is why you shouldn't do continuity test on soldered components because if the meter says that there is continuity, the results are unreliable.

If there are only like 3 fuses or so just replace all of them or maybe start replacing them until it works.