OP
Trophies
Website
www.webcreation31.com
XP
Country
France
Hi all,
I've just bought a black 3DS XL with 4.5.0-10E firmware and planning to buy a Gateway in a few days.

But, I'm also planning to buy Mario Kart 7 tomorrow.
And before that, I'd like to know if the game will auto-update the 3DS firmware or not?

Thanks for your answer! :bow:

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will always ask you anyway. Even if you get a newer game that requires a newer firmware, you can just use Classic Mode in the Gateway launcher to override it.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can play retail carts in classic mode without actually having possesion of a gateway. (Still need a DS-mode cart to install the exploit though)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look for the version of MK7 that has the update included so you can play online :P

It's super common here in America, but I believe if you look at the back of the box, you will see an A or a B in the product number. You want the one with a B (not sure about Europe but at least here that's how you can tell)

tjexp

Happy New Year!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
I've just bought a black 3DS XL with 4.5.0-10E firmware and planning to buy a Gateway in a few days.

But, I'm also planning to buy Mario Kart 7 tomorrow.
And before that, I'd like to know if the game will auto-update the 3DS firmware or not?

Thanks for your answer! :bow:
MK7 needs the 1.1 update from eshop so you'll need to find a cartridge with the update built in

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Look for the version of MK7 that has the update included so you can play online :P

It's super common here in America, but I believe if you look at the back of the box, you will see an A or a B in the product number. You want the one with a B (not sure about Europe but at least here that's how you can tell)
Yeah he will need the 1.1 patched version if he wants to play online, but the box as a way to identify would be hit and miss if he is buying the game used, in the uk at least most shops have the empty boxes out and just pick any copy to put in the box....so the box he would get would be unlikely to have the exact cart that got bought in with that box, only 100% way I know of checking would be booting it up and seeing if it says 1..1 in the corner of the multi player box on the main menu

There's probably a sequence to the serial on the back of the carts too that would work similar to how the finding out if a console is 4.5 or lower but in reverse I.e looking for a higher serial

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
This is one of the few reasonable question relating to Gateway. Remember, read the FAQs so you don't do something stupid and lose the exploit.

If only the FAQs were updated,,,,

Anyway I am in the same position as the OP so the way I understand it is that if for example you buy Mario Kart (or anygame thats <4.5) then you can play it offline with no worries, however if you buy the older version then you would need a update from the store which will update your firmware to the latest.
Is it right that in my understanding however even if you buy the older version then you can play online using the "classic mode" and play online anyway once you get a gateway card....

I am hoping my Gateway comes soon, I ordered it now I am waiting...
I also have a feeling that I might have to update my 3ds to at least 4.1 its coming tomorrow :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn