Firmware 3.2 to 4.1 - 4GB non-SDHC card issues?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dent, Aug 30, 2009.

Aug 30, 2009
  1. Dent
    OP

Member Dent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am currently on firmware 3.2U and use the Transcend 4GB non-SDHC SD card mainly for Rock Band 2 DLC and GHWT DLC. Right now, on 3.2U, the card works perfectly with RB2/GHWT and with other games that want to save to the SD card. It also can be accessed in the Wii data menus with no issues. I have read that when others upgraded their firmware to 4.0/4.1 that it affected their use of this non-SDHC 4GB card. The Wii no longer recognized the card after the upgrade in firmware. They had to resort to other tricks to get it to work again (swapping different cards, waiting for certain times to insert the card, etc.), basically a lot of hassle. Even when they got it to work it didn't always keep working (the Wii would stop recognizing it again if they did certain actions). Also the Wii data menus are not able to access the card at all even though they got RB2 and GHWT to recognize it so they must use a second card in order for other games, Wiiware, and VC to save to an SD card.

To others here that have upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0/4.1, do they verify these same issues?

If these issues are true, then for me, this is a big reason to stay on 3.2 on which I can still currently play all games that are out there.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The compatility is an IOS question. The games run still on the IOS they run on before the update, but the system menu uses a totally different IOS now(IOS60 instead of IOS30). That's why the games still detect the card and the system menu does not. If you will get the same issue, i don't know.

3. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    The SD standard only goes up to 2GB. 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards are not compliant with SD standards, and run into a plethora of compatibility issues on most devices.

4. ViciousXUSMC

Newcomer ViciousXUSMC Advanced Member

United States
    You can consider 4gb SDHC it is not a legacy device.

2GB is the max safe size if you want it to work on everything. I would love a single large SD card but just ordered a 3x2GB SD card pack from newegg for like $16, for the most part 2GB of space is more than enough for the Wii as long as your not using it for video/music or a huge rom collection.

if you do need to use a lot of files often look into some of the wii programs that let you network to your pc. I use FTPii so that I can change files on my SD card without removing it, and I have seen in the past another type of networking program that lets you run homebrew aps that are stored on your PC instead of your Wii.

5. FirenXe

Newcomer FirenXe Advanced Member

Hong Kong
    try do a bootmii nand backup and update safely to 4.0 and try if it works.

If it doesn't you can always restore your bootmii backup and dwongrade back to 3.2