MrSpud

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well it just hit me, 1.1.3 was done a long time ago now, maybe six months, but it will never get released.

The reason? I would guess because of legal problems associated with the arm7 protection. I think this must be the reason Ds-x is dead, they can't released a new firmware without breaking the law, so what's the point? This is just a guess but there's a reason why they WON'T release 1.1.3, a perfectly fine firmware. Maybe they are just doing out of spite? Hope not!

It's been quite a while since 1.1.3 is out, they claim that it's almost perfect except for a bug or two but it wouldn't take this long to fix. They have no reason whatsoever to not release it and call it a beta.

What do you guys think? Is it ever going to be released? If not, why do you think that is?

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MrSpud said:
Well it just hit me, 1.1.3 was done a long time ago now, maybe six months, but it will never get released. The reason? I would guess because of legal problems associated with the arm7 protection.
I disagree, for 2 major reasons;

1. the protection in question (let's stop calling it "arm7" already; it's just another way of checking whether a real ROM is inserted into the NDS) is just one of the many protections and other things you have to do/bypass in order to enable the running of ROM dumps using a flashcart. If Nintendo went to court against DS-Xtreme, submitting v1.1.2 or v1.1.3 as evidence would hardly make a difference, would it?

2. surely DS-Xtreme is one of the *least* used flashcarts? Wouldn't Nintendo rather go after R4/M3/etc, which has a huge professional manufacturing plant, advertises publicly on the Internet, and gains new customers every day? Does the fact that parts of Team Xodus aren't based in China/HK/whatever really make such a big difference?

Virusak

Trophies
XP
Country
It *leaked* so lets be happy about at least about this, cause its the only improvement we will see in another *few* months......

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
pbolmstedt said:
MrSpud said:
Well it just hit me, 1.1.3 was done a long time ago now, maybe six months, but it will never get released. The reason? I would guess because of legal problems associated with the arm7 protection.
I disagree, for 2 major reasons;

1. the protection in question (let's stop calling it "arm7" already; it's just another way of checking whether a real ROM is inserted into the NDS) is just one of the many protections and other things you have to do/bypass in order to enable the running of ROM dumps using a flashcart. If Nintendo went to court against DS-Xtreme, submitting v1.1.2 or v1.1.3 as evidence would hardly make a difference, would it?

2. surely DS-Xtreme is one of the *least* used flashcarts? Wouldn't Nintendo rather go after R4/M3/etc, which has a huge professional manufacturing plant, advertises publicly on the Internet, and gains new customers every day? Does the fact that parts of Team Xodus aren't based in China/HK/whatever really make such a big difference?
It's so much harder to sue a company in China than a company in USA...

MrSpud

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pbolmstedt, you do have a point but It's much more difficult to sue a company from China, or Brasil or even where I'm from, Canada, since each country has their own laws. Not impossible, just a lot more difficult.

I just think that Ds-x must have got in trouble at some point and got too scared to carry on. Someone got them by the balls and they got scared, just an assumption. Releasing a new firmware is like opening a new can of worms, better leave it alone.

Either way, there must be a reason why 1.1.3 doesn't get released, it's not because of problems with the firmware itself, it must be other kind of problems.

selamat.tingal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to agree with MrSpud. These guys simply underestimated the competition and chickened out of this gray market business. I think they do want to make 1.1.3 available, but not go through the hassle of supporting it.

DS64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amemoryoncelost said:
it doesn't get released because the ds-x team does not care about it's customers. Period!

This is true, Ive seen it first hand, people get banned for asking the littlest of things.

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DS64 said:
amemoryoncelost said:
it doesn't get released because the ds-x team does not care about it's customers. Period!
This is true, Ive seen it first hand, people get banned for asking the littlest of things.
You have to distinguish between the official board moderators and the development team. They aren't even in contact anymore, according to Rabid1's posts.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had been really patient but I don't believe it will ever be out. And I notice yesterday and today their http://news.ds-x.com is offline and so are the forums
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com. However the main site with old never updated info is still there www.ds-x.com So I think that is the final say or should it be
nail in the coffin. I'm tired of waiting so my next purchase will be the Cyclo Ds. I'll be ordering it within the month with memory of course.

Heck even bout half of the legal homebrew roms don't work with the DS-X anymore anyways expecially if they are wi-fi.

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's been down before, I'm sure both sites are hosted on the same server, so that would explain the reasoning for them being down. Nothing works for me, not even ds-x.com

should sell your carts before they're officially done...

stefer

Trophies
Website
stefer.weebly.com
XP
Country
Canada
My guess:

They work on and have many different projects. The thing is, they probably make most of them half-assed, and they just try to make the most money they can from all those projects. Some work great from start, some work bad, like the DS-X.
It can be team Xodus like someone mentionned, it could be any other company we don't know about. They don't have to put an X at the begining or ending of each of their products...

And my opinion :

They really really don't have serious plans of supporting the DS-X. By now, logically, we'd either have seen them dissapear, or like right now, no news, and just some random facts thrown in the air. Dissapearing would crush the sales, so by staying around and just making false promises, they are keeping the sales "up".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water