Firefox sets record for most single-day software downloads

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
firefox4_with_mozilla.png

In its first 24 hours, Firefox 4 was downloaded 7.1 million times, followed by a second day boost of 8.75 million, blowing away the previous Guinness World Record record for single-day software downloads.
QUOTE said:
The previous record was held by Firefox 3.0, which saw 8.1 million downloads in one-day in 2008.

After a year of development, 12 betas and two RCs, Firefox 4 launched to much fanfare last week.

The new record will be unofficial because there were no Guinness representatives on-site this time around to independently audit the number.

Mozilla also crushed Internet Explorer 9's download numbers, with Microsoft reporting 2.3 million downloads for the first 24 hours. That number may be deceiving, however, as many Internet Explorer users are in corporate environments where updates are controlled by the IT team and are normally rolled out slowly. An overwhelming majority of Firefox downloaders are personal and "power" users, not corporate, says CW.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/...tware_downloads

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gokujr1000 said:
I still like firefox 3 better so until the day when I absolutely NEED firefox 4 then I'm not to worried.
What, exactly, do you like about Firefox 3 that you dislike about Firefox 4?
Because I bet with just a few minutes most of your 'problems' could be solved.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think I'll switch to FF..
The browser race is awesome atm
biggrin.gif

Even internet explorer is trying his best. And he's finally somewhat succesful at fixing a lot of bugs, crashes, slowing stuff.

But I don't mind having 3 different browsers installed on my pc O_O

Edit: Wait, wut? It has no 64-bit version?
frown.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At first I was turned off by Firefox 4. No refresh button and what not, of course, i fixed it, now it's a great browser. I love the "paste and search" function.

I installed this update on my parents computer, and my dad was complaining about the security features that were in the old firefox, 3.6 or whatever, they're not in 4. That's not true is it?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I barely notice any difference to be honest. Or I just got used to the new one lol.

Also, I am not surprised
smile.gif
. I myself refered at least 100 people to use Firefox. lol

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
At first I was turned off by Firefox 4. No refresh button and what not,It's been merged with the Stop button, it will switch between Stop and Reload depending on the status of the page.
If a page isn't loaded you don't need to RE-load it, and if a page IS loaded there's nothing to stop.

ShadowSoldier said:
I installed this update on my parents computer, and my dad was complaining about the security features that were in the old firefox, 3.6 or whatever, they're not in 4. That's not true is it?What security features? or does he mean in general?
The Security tab of Options is still there and I cannot fathom why they'd remove any security features, nor have I heard of it happening.
Now that I look at the Security tab, there was an option that got moved off (Warning Messages section) and I'm not sure where it got put. But I know the Warning Messages still show.

WiiBricker said:
I'm still on firefox 3.6.16. Doest like the layout of 4.0.QUOTE(Terminator02 @ Mar 29 2011, 05:42 PM) QUOTE(gokujr1000 @ Mar 29 2011, 05:23 PM)
I still like firefox 3 better so until the day when I absolutely NEED firefox 4 then I'm not to worried.
you may want to check this out
People complained about Firefox 3 being a huge change from Firefox 2 at first as well...

Though I admit I do use some of those suggestions... Status-4-Evar, Tabs on Bottom, but that's just because I think it's more functional to have the tabs above the page itself and I frequently use the statusbar, so it's easier to use for me.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
At first I was turned off by Firefox 4. No refresh button and what not, of course, i fixed it, now it's a great browser. I love the "paste and search" function.
It has a refresh button. :wtf:
It's to the right of the URL box, next to the star.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
gokujr1000 said:
That day is now, seeing as 3.6 is retired.

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vuln.../firefox36.html

As you can see firefox (like any major product) has vulnerabilities, and future vulnerabilities will not be patched.

Just deal with the UI changes and switch to 4, your computer will thank you.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
gokujr1000 said:
That day is now, seeing as 3.6 is retired.

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vuln.../firefox36.html

As you can see firefox (like any major product) has vulnerabilities, and future vulnerabilities will not be patched.

Just deal with the UI changes and switch to 4, your computer will thank you.
It's not about the UI changes, but the functionality. I have a lot of extensions I depend on, some that haven't been updated in a long time.
I'm worried Firefox 4 will kill some of those extensions, ones I really can't live without.

I already have glasser making my Firefox 3.6 look transparent, which is pretty nice.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
It's not about the UI changes, but the functionality. I have a lot of extensions I depend on, some that haven't been updated in a long time.
Me too, but I got over them when I found there were alternatives that did the same things, and most likely better since they were actually being updated.

Seriously, you might be surprised at how there's like 5 plugins that all do the same thing on firefox... in addition the jobs of some plugins are no longer needed in 4 (like how personas was integrated in 3.6), such as the text area resizer.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been using 4 beta at work for a while now and I don't really like it compared to 3. Firefox 4 tries too hard to be Chrome, which I don't like.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I'm worried Firefox 4 will kill some of those extensions, ones I really can't live without.Many older addons still work even if they're outdated.

QUOTE(RupeeClock @ Mar 29 2011, 06:31 PM) I already have glasser making my Firefox 3.6 look transparent, which is pretty nice.
You can fully glass all of Firefox without any additional addons* now. It's all done through CSSv3:
Firefox4_glass.png

How much or how little glass is all up to you.

*You won't need a specific addon to give glass, but you will need Stylish, which is a CSS editor much like GreaseMonkey is for Java, that can be used for many things.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/all/glass

I use slightly modified (and combined) versions of these for my glass (PM me if you want it):
http://userstyles.org/styles/39290/firefox-4-windows-7-style
http://userstyles.org/styles/19561/downloa...nsparency-ff3-5

(corrected a link)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since...