Gaming Firefox 13 has some changes actually worth noting to users.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Stuff I've gathered so far...

1 - The new tab page has been changed to a speed-dial (inb4 chrome fanboys; Opera did it first).

2 - Smooth scrolling has finally been implemented. It might take me a day or so to get used to it, but I like it so far.

3 - Tabs left alone for a while are unloaded or paged to disk? I'm not sure on this point, but if I go back and bring up a tab from a few hours ago into focus, it seems to have to load for a second (including the loading swirl on the tab's icon), 12 and below didn't do this. If it's unloading that could be annoying, if it's just paging that could be useful (as far as RAM usage and such).

I mean of course there's more stuff...
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_13_for_developers
But it's not stuff normal users concern themselves with.

EDIT: Typos.

Reactions: 3 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
But did they fix the memory leaks?

This is what I would like to know. I used Firefox since the beginning, and it was hard to pull me away from it, but with the inclusion of extensions on Chrome, and the still to be addressed memory issues with Firefox, Chrome is just too good to pass up. Firefox hasn't been uninstalled yet, but I haven't used in in a good month.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used it for a while (not from the beginning hah) but the memory leaks i think, are worse for mac users and drive me crazy. So now im happy with Chrome.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been using firefox since pre-1.0, and I've never noticed memory issues everybody keeps complaining about.

Counting all of my setups and versions backwards (upgrades included) as accurately as I can...

4GB (Now, v4+ or so)
2GB (3.5+)
1GB (3+)
768MB (2+)
512MB (1.5+)
386MB (0.7 is the earliest I remember seeing).

Yes firefox uses more RAM than other browsers, but in all the cases I've seen under normal usage (even with proper plugins) the RAM usage of firefox is on par with other browsers, nothing to wet your pants and change over.

There's likely two major points why I don't think there's such major problems in every version, though.
1 - I don't keep my browser running for multiple weeks straight. A few days at the most before I close it for whatever reason.
2 - I'm not one of the people that will close Explorer.exe when I game to temporarily gain back 50MB of RAM.

EDIT: Formatting and wording fixes.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't had memory issues with Firefox since FF 3.0 to 4.0. 4.0 forward, I've been memory leak free. On my old computer with a myriad of issues, they'd happen maybe once a week on 4.0 (and that's a rather big maybe). On this computer running Aurora (Firefox Alpha, which has had smooth scrolling for awhile now), and even before when I was just running with the latest version of FF that was advertised, I haven't had even one memory leak issue.

Anybody still having issues may want to consider entirely uninstalling Firefox, and installing it anew. Maybe it's your computer to blame at this point, and not Firefox.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I will point out that a tech friend of mine did find a memory leak in a semi-recent version of Fx that affected him, but it was on the order of a few MB a week (on a work computer where he needed the browser open all the time for remote site access). I don't know if it was fixed or not, or if so, how long ago (this was about two years back).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still have a lot of memory leak in Firefox12 (I restart it every 10-15 days, when it's up to 1.5GB of RAM).
It leaks more when there's a flash or animated menu (javascript menus constantly updating etc.).

If they are now freeing the unused tabs it would be great :)
I like opening them all using session managers, but I don't use them every day.
I always have 3 windows, with multi-tab groups each.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They got rid of -moz-border-radius... (and maybe other -moz- stuff) thus breaking several firefox optimized websites...

I know we should use the standard border-radius... but what about people still using old firefox versions? :(

The smooth scrolling is great, but I'll need to mess with it it's too much sensitive.

The only thing I regret is that firefox is becoming more and more yet another chrome, just less optimized/fast, I think I'll end up switching to another browser (opera).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't like the smooth scrolling effect.
We can mess with it instead of simply disabling it?

Yeah, they got rid of the "-moz" prefix for radius and shadow. If there were more, they would have mentioned it in the detailed page for developers.
I'll have to change some of my webpages now.

In Gecko 2.0 -moz-border-radius was renamed to border-radius; -moz-border-radius was supported as an alias until Gecko 12.0. In order to conform to the CSS3 standard, Gecko 2.0
Gecko2.0 is Firefox 4.0 renderer.
I think a lot of people updated past 4.0

There are still users with 2.0 and 3.5 though, but most of them updated (I can see stats on my firefox addon's statistic page).
10% are still on 3.6 :unsure:
Code:
            	        Firefox 12.0	Firefox 3.6	Firefox 13.0	Firefox 3.0	Firefox 3.5	Firefox 11.0
Tue, Jun 5, 2012	12,336	           1,814	       919	     844	       772	        707

edit:
I think you can set condition for CSS.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But did they fix the memory leaks?

That +1
I've downloaded it once when it was in 1.0 or 1.5 and quitted it when the memory leaks started to appear, It did nothing more but hanging up, crashing and eating RAM.
Switched back to Opera which is imho a far better browser then FF.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I kept a javascript heavy page opened, and the browser is now lagging, the ram is maxed out.
The page has no animation, no reloading feature, just loaded once in a tab, and I used a second tab until now.
I can say that Firefox 13 didn't fix the memory leak.
The computer at my work is not a good one, but I expect that at least it doesn't leak continually once loaded.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the RAM usage annoys you so much, there are add-ons out there that really improve the RAM usage. I've got one (Memory Fox), that you can enable by clicking the button and it REALLY does a lot of 'damage'. I've seen it reduce my 700MB process too 200MB or even less.
I must say the browser doesn't work as smooth then, but that's only logic.

I only use it at times when I really need my 4GB RAM, but it does it's job wonderfully.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, firstly, Firefox keeps going down the shit shoot every time they release a new update/version. Secondly, its slow, I have monster gaming rig and it still runs like crap, the last time I remember fox every running smoothly was way back with 2.5 or was it 3.0? either way there's a reason why Chrome has become the most used browser in the world.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I still have a lot of memory leak in Firefox12 (I restart it every 10-15 days, when it's up to 1.5GB of RAM).
It leaks more when there's a flash or animated menu (javascript menus constantly updating etc.).
Firefox.exe or the plugin-container.exe?

Check about:memory in the address bar and see if you can pinpoint what's causing it. Firefox is unfortunately to the point now that IE was famous for; 3rd-party software installing addons and making modifications without asking or even alerting you. I can't tell you the number of people who look at the addons (and about:Plugins) list and are surprised at what managed to sneak something into firefox without asking.

If they are now freeing the unused tabs it would be great :)
Yeah I'll have to do some reading or checking to see if the stuff is being paged. I suppose it might have taken so long because the process for determining whether a tab is critical to leave running or not isn't that simple.

They got rid of -moz-border-radius... (and maybe other -moz- stuff) thus breaking several firefox optimized websites...

I know we should use the standard border-radius... but what about people still using old firefox versions? :(
Considering that updates also fix security concerns, people shouldn't be using old versions anyways. 13 appears to work just fine on XP (SP3) for now still, too.

The smooth scrolling is great, but I'll need to mess with it it's too much sensitive.
I found it easy to adapt to because I've been using tablets (iOS and Android) for a while and they pretty much demand smooth scrolling capabilities, but you can always turn it off if you don't like it (Options - Advanced - General).

I don't like the smooth scrolling effect.
We can mess with it instead of simply disabling it?
Head into about:config and search for "smooth", you'll find the values there. There will likely be some sort of plugin developed to add a GUI for these tweaks seen enough.

I've downloaded it once when it was in 1.0 or 1.5 and quitted it
You know the English used to try to force taxation on the US when the US was just a colony of theirs. That means they still suck, right? :P

Well, I kept a javascript heavy page opened, and the browser is now lagging, the ram is maxed out.
The page has no animation, no reloading feature, just loaded once in a tab, and I used a second tab until now.
I can say that Firefox 13 didn't fix the memory leak.
The computer at my work is not a good one, but I expect that at least it doesn't leak continually once loaded.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode
And screenshot the about:memory page for me in that mode when the issue shows up, please? Pinpointing the leak to submit to mozilla will likely be helpful.
EDIT: And yes this may be a little redundant as i know you're a plugin developer, but mozilla's not that public with the "about" pages so many people don't know about the memory one (or about:support, which I just realized you might want to know about).

Ok, firstly, Firefox keeps going down the shit shoot every time they release a new update/version. Secondly, its slow, I have monster gaming rig and it still runs like crap, the last time I remember fox every running smoothly was way back with 2.5 or was it 3.0? either way there's a reason why Chrome has become the most used browser in the world.
Yes, for mainly the same reason Firefox was previously the Chrome of it's generation; companies had not yet figured out how to fuck with it without your permission.

Two key points though.
1 - Mozilla's had enough and has added some warnings when outside programs modify firefox, but these only cover some cases and only appear at the time of the incident, so for example if something you installed fucked with firefox's config values previously, the warning won't show up since the change has already been done. This is partially why a complete uninstall and reinstall (for people having issues) is suggested.
2 - Chrome was designed with not letting other programs fuck with it from the start (Google don't tolerate that shit), which is likely why it's stayed cleaner longer.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've downloaded it once when it was in 1.0 or 1.5 and quitted it
You know the English used to try to force taxation on the US when the US was just a colony of theirs. That means they still suck, right? :P

Errr.....
How does that relate to Firefox having problems with memoryleaking?? xd

If England suck because they try to force taxation on the USA then I could also say that the USA suck because they kind of want everything their way.

In that aspect nearly every country would suck because of something lol.
Every country has it's ups and downs and I'm not judging over something that happened like ~300 years ago?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive already gotten used to the smooth scrolling
from what I can gather, firefox will eat up memory for as long as its open, caching more and more items as you browse
is there a reason why some people leave their browser open for weeks?
I close mine all the time so it wont effect me and the big majority of users

wish they updated the android one also, with better features or even flash support would be nice

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
If the RAM usage annoys you so much, there are add-ons out there that really improve the RAM usage. I've got one (Memory Fox), that you can enable by clicking the button and it REALLY does a lot of 'damage'. I've seen it reduce my 700MB process too 200MB or even less.
I must say the browser doesn't work as smooth then, but that's only logic.

I only use it at times when I really need my 4GB RAM, but it does it's job wonderfully.

memoryfox don't do shit, i uninstalled that crap a long time ago, also i must be in the majority then because my version of firefox is still on version 4.0 i haven't upgraded since then and i doubt that will change, when i get a new pc i don't think i will be reinstalling firefox on it, will be using chrome instead.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I knew about:memory, but I didn't know about:support

I just installed FF13 on my home computer, so I'll wait a little before taking a screen, until it attains a lot of RAM.
it's currently around 500MB after activating all my tabs and 40% on Js (and I have 2GB or RAM). (only 500MB of RAM on my work place PC, but not using as much tabs as home).
If it stayed like that it would be great, but without opening more tabs it usually increase by itself. I'll try to watch about:memory more often.

Also, it's firefox.exe, not the plugin container.
I enabled sending memory usage to mozilla, but I don't know on which basis it's send nor if it's useful to them.

The tab thing is just that they are not initialized at launch if they are not used.
They are loaded when enabled to speed the launch process.
I guess it will help with my memory problem as I always load all the tabs at once with session manager. Now only the one I visit will have active content which can create memory leak.
I didn't notice unused tab going in an unloaded state yet.

Edit:
It could also be a Windows XP problem, not freeing unused RAM correctly?

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh right, people still use Stable. From what I've seen they have been messing around with better memory management, but it's fluctuated rather heavily though. Loading JS heavy pages will still make FF hang and all that, which undoubtedly sucks.

Also the one thing I hope they don't keep is the "new" download manager. In an attempt to make the ecosystem more contained, they managed to clutter it even more with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2