Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
via Massively

While Multiverse, the development platform that was supposed to be the driving force for possible Buffy and Firefly MMOs, suffered a studio shutdown, the source code lives -- and has been snatched up by the newly formed Multiverse Foundation. Fortunately for those who were holding out hope for an online version of Joss Whedon's scifi western, it looks as though this new company wants to pick up where the previous team left off.

Massively was contacted by Tristan Bacon, head of communications for Multiverse Foundation. He says that the company has acquired the source code and is "starting work full-time on the actual MMO creation platform." Bacon says that if there is still interest from fans, the team intends to use the platform to make a Firefly MMO.

Don't get overexcited at the prospect of saddling up for the 'verse in your own ship, however, as this might be as long a shot as it ever was. There are substantial obstacles to overcome, including permission to use the IP. Bacon also says that the current team is just a small group of volunteers working on it in their spare time, and would appreciate more developers to sign on to the project.

This news comes hot on the heels of revelations that Netflix is attempting to resurrect the Firefly TV series.

Is anybody else hoping that Multiverse takes a note from Bioware
and adds the possibility of sharing a bunk with Kaylee? :creep:

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Multiverse Software Foundation homepage
:arrow: More discussion at Blastr
:arrow: Discussion at /r/firefly

Reactions: 1 person

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I would literally would give Netflix my subscription money back if they would revive Firefly. I hope they do, just like they did with Arrested Development.
Edit: Also, I would play this game too.

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote we tie him to a chair, tape his eyes open and make him watch a seven minute clip of Homeboyz In Outerspace until he dies of starvation.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Firefly was a really great series, and that Serenity was pretty good too, so you can call me a fan. Still, I think people need to stop holding their breath; it's only going to make the next disappointment that much worse.

As much as I'd like to see more of the 'Verse, I think the time has ultimately passed.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Firefly was a really great series, and that Serenity was pretty good too, so you can call me a fan. Still, I think people need to stop holding their breath; it's only going to make the next disappointment that much worse.

As much as I'd like to see more of the 'Verse, I think the time has ultimately passed.

This... Exactly this. And Bioware? >.> I Look forward to a few more months when SWTOR is another forgotten Free2Play MMORPG.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I loved the series and the movie was pretty cool, as for a mmo, it could be good or bad, depending on how it'd be made.. I wonder why never continued the series tho...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the series and the movie was pretty cool, as for a mmo, it could be good or bad, depending on how it'd be made.. I wonder why never continued the series tho...

Considering how screwed over it was by Fox (airing the episodes out of order, not promoting the show, placing the show in terrible timeslots, etc.), it's no mystery as to why it didn't last longer. Serenity only happened, actually, because the DVD sales were so great. When Serenity fizzled at the box office, though, that effectively nixed any other plans for the series (save for the occasional comic mini series).

Reactions: 2 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
What's Firefly.

i kid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...