sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
jpn release isnt coming out for months, it "should" work though
and speaking of which http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...takes_shape_as_two_separate_releases_in_japan
2 different boxed copies of the game, I don't know about other people but the direct led me to believe that both were on the same cart

also they are selling an incomplete game at that requiring people to pay for the dlc to unlock the "3rd path"
I want to believe each game is the size of awakening, so when you buy Hoshido you have a complete game, when you buy Nohr you have another complete game (with a related story) and when you DLC the 3rd path you have yet another complete game, with a related story again.
And when I say complete game I mean new and different maps, missions and story segments that add up together but could also stand perfectly on its own as a complete game.
I want to believe, otherwise I would feel ripped off, and with it being from Nintendo I don't see any reason not to believe.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't they say it would mainly branch after chapter 6 or something? Chances are the first bunch of chapters will overlap at the very least. After that it should be different per path yeah.

sarkwalvein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really like the idea of this game and also the fact that even with it using the same engine as Awakening, people now have feet ;) .
I suppose the original 3DS is kind of reaching its End Of Life, it is good to see AAA games still being planned for 2016 (Western version, I know)

Reactions: 2Hack

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Didn't they say it would mainly branch after chapter 6 or something? Chances are the first bunch of chapters will overlap at the very least. After that it should be different per path yeah.
I've read that the story stays the same until chapter 8. At the end of that chapter you gotta choose a side.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've read that the story stays the same until chapter 8. At the end of that chapter you gotta choose a side.
Oh, 8 then. Yeah, I remembered something like that too, I just didn't remember the chapter number. So that's one-third of the game overlap, then (unless the third path branches earlier or later).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk I just hope NOA gives us the full content at a fair price. I'm sure complaints are reaching them. Not much Nintendo Dlc bothers me like this one.

megazero1x1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I for one was disappointed with the multiple versions releasing part. I mean this game is now becoming more and more like Pokemon !!

JoshuaBojangles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk I just hope NOA gives us the full content at a fair price. I'm sure complaints are reaching them. Not much Nintendo Dlc bothers me like this one.
Thats what Im hoping too. I wouldnt mind shelling out the $80 to have all three paths as I adored awakening but I just dont see this kind of shit flying over here in the states. People threw a big enough fit about only getting the N3DSXL over here, this would be Armageddon on every gaming board.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap like this makes me glad I'm a pirate. The digital copy has the equivalent of locked on disc DLC. Didn't capcom get in trouble for that? Who would pay $16 for something they technically have access to before it locks? Also, $80 is stupid.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I LOVE fire emblem, but I'm hoping NoA condenses both stories into one cartridge. I'll probably buy it regardless, though.
Well there is a planned limited edition release of a version that includes all 3 paths, however I expect at least one of those 3 paths being attached to a download code.

As for the file size of the DLC, all we can do is speculate until release. For an implementation like this, where players buy one of 2 retail versions and the other version's DLC to get a complete experience, there are a couple things we can surmise. These are assuming that we're not going to see all DLC already on the cartridge, hidden behind DLC lock flags.

1. Some assets are going to be shared between the two versions to reduce overhead. I wouldn't be surprised if both versions use the same set of maps themselves, but with different sets of missions attached to the maps.

2. Assets that wouldn't be shared between both versions would be faction cutscenes, its related sound files, and scripts that define the specifics of each mission. Most of the scenes that use the in-game models, as opposed to pre-rendered FMVs, are more likely to be downloaded as scripts instead of FMVs to reduce their size.

3. The third path is probably going to download-only, even if the two main paths are on the cartridge itself. Besides all cash-grab arguments, it makes sense from a production standpoint. For a project of this scope, making sure that the two faction versions work with each other's content as DLC means that the third path didn't see development begin until the two main paths were finalized and cartridge production had begun.

4. I think the two versions might actually share the same titleid. Enough of the visuals can be changed to make the players think that they are two separate versions, but really be read as the same exact game to the 3DS itself. That would make it marginally easier to release updates, but primarily reduce the amount of redundancies needed to have two titleids work with a singular set of DLC. The fact that the distribution model is promoting buying the retail of one and DLC of the other version, as opposed to the Pokemon route of "Buy Both Games", lends some credence to this theory.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah,hey, what zhdarkstar said... give 'em a cookie'.. cigar..... 'er or what ever

Seriously though

Actually, when first I had heard of the 2 versions and DLC, after giving it some through, that pretty much is the only, logical sensible, efficient way to go about it, from my perspective. I'm no expert, certainly, but I do know a little about programming, nesting commands and such, heck, over my 50+ years I've forgotten more than I (care to or can) remember... They are going to share as many resources as possible. Being a long time Fire Emblem fan (since first GBA release.. AW Series too/moreso) I'm not sure how I feel about this new direction. Then again, I'm still not sure how I feel about Awakening...Oh the battles are fine, but the structure of the rest of the game? It prevents it from being cannon-ed so to speak. I'm pretty sure that's why no guide was released/made for Awakening. I have all the original guides (for collection purposes) and would love to have added the art work for this one too.

Advanced Wars (all of the GBA/DS and Fire Emblem, all systems prior GBA, DS and earlier were/ are responsible for my video game dependence/addiction, if you can call it that.
Shalom/Chow/Later

sarkwalvein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah,hey, what zhdarkstar said... give 'em a cookie'.. cigar..... 'er or what ever

Seriously though

Actually, when first I had heard of the 2 versions and DLC, after giving it some through, that pretty much is the only, logical sensible, efficient way to go about it, from my perspective. I'm no expert, certainly, but I do know a little about programming, nesting commands and such, heck, over my 50+ years I've forgotten more than I (care to or can) remember... They are going to share as many resources as possible. Being a long time Fire Emblem fan (since first GBA release.. AW Series too/moreso) I'm not sure how I feel about this new direction. Then again, I'm still not sure how I feel about Awakening...Oh the battles are fine, but the structure of the rest of the game? It prevents it from being cannon-ed so to speak. I'm pretty sure that's why no guide was released/made for Awakening. I have all the original guides (for collection purposes) and would love to have added the art work for this one too.

Advanced Wars (all of the GBA/DS and Fire Emblem, all systems prior GBA, DS and earlier were/ are responsible for my video game dependence/addiction, if you can call it that.
Shalom/Chow/Later
Well, they have promised the FE/if: Nohr side to be more like the old installments, not sure about the third path but I hope so too.
You know, the "free roaming" (to be called something) allowed in FE:Awakening allows for unlimited grinding, and makes the game challenge-less to some point.
I hope FE/If:Nohr feels like a challenge.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a difficult time playing any sort of fire emblem game since I came over from Shining Force, where death isnt permanent. Secondly, the vast departure from the colorful imaginative characters the GBA games had to the CoD muddy brown of awakening and uh, whatever the DS one was called, was really a let down. I did give Awakening an honest try and couldnt gel with it.

That said. What do you guys think? Will we get both on one cart, but you can buy a different case or whatever? Meaning you decision isnt tied to a physical (or digital) version you purchase?

storm75x

Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!
Trophies
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
Website
www.fort42.com
XP
Country
I have had a difficult time playing any sort of fire emblem game since I came over from Shining Force, where death isnt permanent. Secondly, the vast departure from the colorful imaginative characters the GBA games had to the CoD muddy brown of awakening and uh, whatever the DS one was called, was really a let down. I did give Awakening an honest try and couldnt gel with it.

That said. What do you guys think? Will we get both on one cart, but you can buy a different case or whatever? Meaning you decision isnt tied to a physical (or digital) version you purchase?
I've played both Shining Force and Fire Emblem games. I'll say that Fire Emblem connects the player to the game more than SF does. The amazing story, the dark side of reality, and so on.
Don't get me wrong, Shining Force isn't a bad game either, I find it very enjoying but inferior to the Fire Emblem series.

Awakening was supposed to be the company's last FE game. That's why they but so much effort into making it a masterpiece. And FE: IF seems to be building on top of that.
The concept of the game is similar to Mass Effect in a sense which connects the player to the game even more. Being the protagonist, making choices and all.

As long as the player does not have their mind set on "I'm going to finish this game and it has to be perfect" but rather play along with it, when you accomplish it, you will feel the satisfaction.

Reactions: 2Hack

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I for one was disappointed with the multiple versions releasing part. I mean this game is now becoming more and more like Pokemon !!

From what I been reading from various gaming sites, Japan got the game released in two different parts/versions, one version for each path. Everywhere else it's one version with a choice once you get far enough.

EDIT: 3rd path? I have not seen anything on a 3rd path, not even in the Nintendo direct.

storm75x

Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!
Trophies
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
Website
www.fort42.com
XP
Country
Why? Each one is a full complete game. The plot is HUGE, and I mean HUGE.
So basically we are getting 2 full games with the gigantic plot unfolding from different sides. Not some minor changes like Pokemon.

From what I been reading from various gaming sites, Japan got the game released in two different parts/versions, one version for each path. Everywhere else it's one version with a choice once you get far enough.

EDIT: 3rd path? I have not seen anything on a 3rd path, not even in the Nintendo direct.
I can confirm on this. There is a 3rd path. Neutral path. Forgot where I got the info from but it's legit.
The 3rd part will be DLC.

Reactions: chartube12

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, i am glad i my gateway can handle all of them, i though i do not like dlc's, because gateway can't handle dlc's. So which means i have to use cia files. which is pretty tedious to setup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4