Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ English Translation Project

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Blazer, Aug 14, 2011.

Aug 14, 2011
  1. Blazer
    OP

Member Blazer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu~
    AKA Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~

The 12th Installment in the Fire Emblem Series

Translation Project

Most of us know that Intelligent Systems created a remake of Fire Emblem 3: Mystery of the Emblem, originally for the SNES, for the Nintendo DS. If you don't know about it, then there's a very good reason--the game seems to have been neglected by Nintendo and has still not made a release outside of Japan, despite being a well-received game by Japan and other fans who have played the game despite not understanding Japanese.

Fans waited and waited in agony, but the wait will soon be over. The Fire Emblem 12 Translation Team has taken up hex editors and compression programs to translate this great game in the stead of those who haven't. So without further adieu, here's our proof that we're actually translating this thing:

[​IMG][​IMG]

MORE SCREENSHOTS Below:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I'm sure you guys have a lot of questions, but before you whack us with them, make sure they aren't answered here:

Fire Emblem 12 Translation FAQ

README Below:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

With all that important information out of the way, the FE12 Translation Team would like to present you with our current patch, a menu patch covering most gameplay aspects to allow players to play the game without needing to understand Japanese or use logic to figure out what certain menus say. We've worked really hard on this, so we hope you enjoy it, or at least like it, as this is a sample of what our complete translation will be like (for those of you waiting for us to finish the entire game).

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION

Updates

News

A graphics editor has already been found. If everything goes to plan, we should be able to work on the graphical side of text soon. This includes stuff like the opening demo, various headers and the in-battle stats.

Known bugs in 2.0.1

If you go through erasing of all data, the message that tells you data is being erased doesn't show up. Also, because of this, another super rare menu text may not display properly. These issues are easily fixed.

nxwing, jinny-jin and Satangel like this.

2. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Awesome!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!

3. celeron53

Member celeron53 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ive been keepin up with ur blog. and u guys are amazingly fast. keep up the good work.

4. Blazer
    OP

United States
    Are we? We're trying, but I don't know how fast other translation groups generally are. Admittedly, working at this pace is tiring me out kinda fast, heheh.

Also, if anyone wants, there is a poll on the blog. You can go and vote there as we like to have opinions on things! This is a fan translation by and for the fans so we try to please you (when it's convenient for us anyway, heheh) and when you bug us hard enough, so go vote and let your voice be heard [​IMG]

Just note that we can't please everyone and so we do a "say your piece, we'll take it, then you live with the result" kind of approach in terms of suggestions, so no flame wars on decisions we make, please. ._.

That is all~

nxwing likes this.
  5. demitrius

Member demitrius GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Love Fire Emblem series, so I appreciate this project. Will wait for a finished product.

6. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Awesome [​IMG]. Good luck with the translation, i was literally just thinking earlier about how much i wanted this translated [​IMG]. (I had downloaded an Incomplete patch that just translated a few stats and stuff, was that you guys work also?)

7. Blazer
    OP

United States
    ^That was a preliminary patch from about... 1 week after the game came out. We released a new menu patch, currently up to version 2.0.1, which is much better, and has a lot more translated, and better translations, less glitchy translations, etc., although it's still not 100% complete menu patch due to graphical text and I think a couple other things.

We're currently aiming for a full translation patch now, dialog and all.

nxwing likes this.
  8. dgwillia

United States
    Yeah its quite awesome, downloaded and just tried it [​IMG]. Not sure if im gonna wait (For a while) for the full version or play through it now. Im such a sucker for the story of Fire Emblem games

9. Umbra

Newcomer Umbra Advanced Member

Mexico
    Looks really awesome so far! Good luck and keep up the good work with the translation.

10. amfness20

Newcomer amfness20 Newbie

United States
    i found a bug in the 2.01 patch..
    not sure if it is one...

after you finished the prologue..
    when you click the armory.. you see no Funds/Money/Gold

and if i can remember it should have about 10,000 after finishing the prologue..

=)

11. panmusic

Member panmusic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    I followed the instructions but while the clean rom is 128mb in size,the patched rom is only 82,1mb.Is this natural or am I doing something wrong?Also,it gives me a white screen using AKAIO 1.8.7.
    Any help,please?

12. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    The screenshots look nice, i'll download the patch and game now. Good luck

13. Seicomart

Member Seicomart GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I hope the "fans" don't ruin another translation project and you take your own good time to finish the thing, maybe a paypal button for coffee n doughnuts donations wouldn't go amiss..

I appreciate your time and effort and look forward to playing this when all is done, whether that's in a year, or 5 years it doesn't matter to me : ) Good luck!

14. Blazer
    OP

United States
    ^I am not going to work on this past 2012, as I have other things to do than translate this game for 5 years haha

@Toushiro thanks

@panmusic yes, I didn't add extra space to the end of the ROM to make it 128MB, the game's data is really only ~82MB and so that's how large the patched ROM is.

You should be able to run it with Desmume or on a flashcart with the latest firmware, although some flash carts don't support the game without an anti-piracy patch, which, ATM, I cannot help you with.

@amfness20 loooool you wish

@umbra thanks

@dgwillia, I am too but this game had really good music, interesting gameplay, sidequests (something I've been missing ever since about FE7, really, since FE8 only had 1 sidequest and FE11's sidequests were crap), etc., so even without the plot I liked the game a lot, and I'm glad I didn't wait for me to finish the translation to play it, haha. But you can do what you want, I don't think you'll regret either choice.

15. 727

Member 727 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

16. Blazer
    OP

United States
  17. dgwillia

United States
    I swear, theres so many damn idiots out there

18. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    Thanks Blazer [​IMG]
    I'm REALLY happy to see this being translated [​IMG] and you are working at a godly pace too~

Keep up the good work!!! [​IMG]

19. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    thanks blazer for doing what nintendo doesn't want to do
    I really appreciate it [​IMG]

btw... @FrozenIndignation why so many penguins??? xD

20. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    First, those are prinnies, not penguins, and secondly, because you need alot of prinnies to make a prinny squad [​IMG]