Hacking Question Finished setting up Nereba & have some questions about EmuMMC & staying safe

shano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys I got Nereba & Pegascope setup and done following this guide now i have a few questions. The guide doesnt followup with emunand stuff and such.

1. Do i make EmuMMC with 1.0.0 og NAND backup (maybe safer if ever going online?) or with the 1.0.0 NAND backup i made after finishing Nereba setup?

2. Any extra things/steps i need to do to prevent the gamecart being updated and fuses being blown when in higher firmware on the emunand?

3. How do you go about updating the EmuMMC to later firmwares?

4. Is it possible my Switch can get updated whilst connected to the net with the DNS changes provided by the guide?

Cheers.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Do i make EmuMMC with 1.0.0 og NAND backup (maybe safer if ever going online?) or with the 1.0.0 NAND backup i made after finishing Nereba setup?
Whichever NAND you plan on using online, if any, should be clean (i.e. no hacks have been used with it). If you plan on using your emuNAND for online play, it should be made with the earliest/cleanest NAND backup you have. If you plan on using your sysNAND for online play, it should be clean.

2. Any extra things/steps i need to do to prevent the gamecart being updated and fuses being blown when in higher firmware on the emunand?
If you use Atmosphere, your game cartridge slot will automatically be blocked from being updated if your fuse count is low. As long as you don't update your sysNAND, your fuses also won't be burnt. However, if you refuse to update your game cartridge slot, you will be unable to use game cartridges on your up-to-date emuNAND.

3. How do you go about updating the EmuMMC to later firmwares?
If your emuNAND is meant to be clean for online play, it should be updated through the system settings officially. If it is meant to be dirty, it should be updated with ChoiDujourNX.

4. Is it possible my Switch can get updated whilst connected to the net with the DNS changes provided by the guide?
No. If you have an update-blocking DNS and/or Incognito installed, your Switch will not update over the internet. If you have a functional cartridge slot, newer game cartridges could update the system.

Reactions: shano

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great, that you were successful!

1. the emuMMC is always generated out of the current sysNAND.

2. when using atmosphere and hekate, the Gamecard slot is automatically protected. If you want to protect fuses as well, don’t upgrade your sysNAND. Upgrading the emuNAND does not blow fuses.

3. use a homebrew tool called ChoiDuJourNX

4. it can happen if you connect to another network, and forget to set DNS settings. So just be very aware.

If you want to play online, you should consider doing an RCM hack and upgrading the sysNAND (can be done without blowing fuses). This is safer from the ban perspective than going online with emuNAND.

shano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks Lacius & mav2010 much appreciated. :)

Will have to take a look at that Incognitio thing you mentioned.

One more question with ChoiDuJourNX (ive used it a couple times to update without burning fuses) i assume i untick AutoRCM when updating via ChoiDuJourNX?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more question with ChoiDuJourNX (ive used it a couple times to update without burning fuses) i assume i untick AutoRCM when updating via ChoiDuJourNX?
That's correct.

Will have to take a look at that Incognitio thing you mentioned.
Incognito alters your prodinfo in a way that makes your Switch unable to send Nintendo any personally identifying information and makes it impossible to be banned for anything you do with the NAND that has Incognito installed. However, it will also make it impossible to connect to Nintendo's servers. The only way to remove Incognito is to restore a prodinfo backup, so make sure you keep it somewhere safe if you plan on using Incognito. Incognito should only be installed to your dirty NAND, not your clean NAND you plan on using for online play.

dangobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to play online, you should consider doing an RCM hack and upgrading the sysNAND (can be done without blowing fuses). This is safer from the ban perspective than going online with emuNAND.

What are the benefits of not blowing fuses by upgrading the sysNAND via RCM? From what I've understood, online play is less risky with a clean sysNAND but in order to upgrade it any other way than official requires RCM, which means that it wouldn't be a clean upgrade? If that's the case then why not upgrade sysNAND officially, and do offline stuff with emuNAND?

mav2010

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are the benefits of not blowing fuses by upgrading the sysNAND via RCM? From what I've understood, online play is less risky with a clean sysNAND but in order to upgrade it any other way than official requires RCM, which means that it wouldn't be a clean upgrade? If that's the case then why not upgrade sysNAND officially, and do offline stuff with emuNAND?
You are completely right. There is a way to preserve fuses and keep the sysNAND clean at the same time. It basically means to catch the reboot after the official upgrade with jig and button combination and bring the console into RCM. The fuses are only burnt on first boot with the new firmware. Then apply autoRCM and launch OFW with hekate. The ban risk is minimal higher, but it preserves fuses just in case there is a better hack available in the future that relies on native booting a lower firmware.

Reactions: dangobear

dangobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are completely right. There is a way to preserve fuses and keep the sysNAND clean at the same time. It basically means to catch the reboot after the official upgrade with jig and button combination and bring the console into RCM. The fuses are only burnt on first boot with the new firmware. Then apply autoRCM and launch OFW with hekate. The ban risk is minimal higher, but it preserves fuses just in case there is a better hack available in the future that relies on native booting a lower firmware.

I see! So if I'm not too fussed about fuse count and only want to keep sysNAND as clean as possible, do I need to restore NAND, update officially, backup the new sysNAND version/delete the old clean sysNAND, and then emuNAND it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back