OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
American-pilot-Amelia-Ear-007.jpg

American pilot Amelia Earhart in her plane.​

The riddle of Amelia Earhart's disappearance has only grown more complex in the 73 years since the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic went missing attempting to fly around the equator.

One theory had it that she crashed into the sea after running out of fuel during her expedition over the Pacific Ocean. Others claimed that Earhart was executed by the Japanese for spying, was pressed into making propaganda broadcasts from Tokyo during the war, or that she secretly returned to the US under an assumed identity.

But now an array of artefacts from the 1930s and bones found on the uninhabited Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro suggest that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, endured lingering deaths as castaways on a desert island and were eventually eaten by crabs.

Researchers from The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (Tighar) found what appears to be a phalanx from a finger and two other bones, one of them from the neck, alongside a host of other clues after two decades and 10 expeditions attempting to solve the mystery.

The suspected finger is being tested for human DNA. It may turn out to be from a turtle – which have similar bones in their flippers.

But the other discoveries lend credence to the theory that Earhart died on the atoll after going missing en route to Howland Island in July 1937 at the age of 41 – she was declared legally dead 18 months later.

They include part of a mirror from a woman's compact, a zip from a Pennsylvania factory and travel-sized bottles made in New Jersey as well as a pocket knife listed on her aircraft's inventory, all manufactured in the 1930s.

Alongside the goods are the remains of small fires with bird and fish bones, and empty oyster shells laid out in a row as if to collect water, suggesting someone was trying to survive on the island.

Three years after Earhart disappeared British colonial authorities, who then administered Nikumaroro, found 13 bones from a human skeleton at the site of the latest discoveries. The bones were later assessed to be "more likely female than male" and "more likely white than Polynesian or other Pacific Islander". Those bones have since been lost.

Ric Gillespie, the executive director of Tighar, said the combined evidence points to Earhart dying on Nikumaroro.

"The bottom line is we have this archaeological site on this island where so much other evidence points to the Earhart flight having ended up. We know there was this castaway found there who appears to have been an American woman of the 1930s and there's only one of those missing out there," he said.

Gillespie said that the condition of some of the discoveries added to the evidence that there were people attempting to survive on the island.

"We could see that the knife had been beaten apart with a blunt object … apparently in order to remove the blades. We can only speculate but if you're a castaway and you need to make a spear to catch fish, maybe the blades are more useful that way than still attached to the knife," he said.

Gillespie said a member of Earhart's family had provided a DNA sample for testing if the suspected finger bone turned out to be human.

But he added that the family would prefer a different ending to the Amelia Earhart story.

"A crash at sea, that's nice and clean and a quick ending. Ending up as a castaway on a waterless atoll, and struggling to survive for a time and failing and ultimately being eaten by crabs is not nearly as pretty. They're hoping that we're wrong and I can't blame them for that," said Gillespie.

source

If this it true, It would be good to finally know what truly happened.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
I watched this on the discovery channel special last week.

well, this is the first i've heard of it. and I actually saw it on the news today, so I assumed it was pretty new, not a week old.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ZaeZae64 said:
QUOTE said:
Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, endured lingering deaths as castaways on a desert island and were eventually eaten by crabs.
Now that is a terrible way to die.

Yeah, like wtf. How do you get eaten by crabs? Unless she was dead first.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Julian Sidewind said:
She would clearly be already dead to be eaten by crabs, how would anyone allow themselves to be eaten by crabs.
No one would, but if you go so weak from no food or water then they could have got stronger than her and eaten away anyway. She did crash land too so that isn't going to make you any stronger.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
ZaeZae64 said:
QUOTE said:
Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, endured lingering deaths as castaways on a desert island and were eventually eaten by crabs.
Now that is a terrible way to die.

Yeah, like wtf. How do you get eaten by crabs? Unless she was dead first.
Yeah too bad she wasn't alive a couple years ago for E3 she might have learned how to kill a crab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g1fr5vk72M

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lol who? This is the first time ever in my life that I'm reading about Amelia Earhart?? Eh? Hmm getting eaten by crabs is lulzy but when you're severely weakened, I wouldn't be surprised if Snails or Ants ate you up... :wtf:

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Lol who? This is the first time ever in my life that I'm reading about Amelia Earhart?? Eh? Hmm getting eaten by crabs is lulzy but when you're severely weakened, I wouldn't be surprised if Snails or Ants ate you up... :wtf:
You've never heard of Amelia Earhart?

You either need to Google it or read a history text book.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lol as much as I love reading about History I think i'll pass on this one. The article has stated the obvious though...she was the first "woman" pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic....details may be concise, however, in my opinion they are enough.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SamAsh07 said:
Lol as much as I love reading about History I think i'll pass on this one. The article has stated the obvious though...she was the first "woman" pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic....details may be concise, however, in my opinion they are enough.

She had a cock?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt