Finding out what modchip I have

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wayt, Jan 31, 2008.

Jan 31, 2008

Finding out what modchip I have by wayt at 5:58 PM (836 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. wayt
    OP

Newcomer wayt Member

Canada
    I've read the topic about which modchip does what, and i am almost certain I have a wiikey, but i need confirmation. I bought this wii from china, so its a ntsc-j wii, it was pre-modded, and i do not know what modchip it is. I don't want to open up my wii fearing mistakes that I will make and the absence of tools that I have in order to open it. there are probably threads about this already, but search is disabled =(

I remember asking the person who sold it to me if i can play NTSC-U games and she said that it can. She also said that it is able to play any ntsc game. Is mine a wiikey? How do I check without opening it?

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Theres no really good way to find out.
    Try to put in the WiiKey update disc if it works then its a WiiKey.
    If it has a switch on it its a CycloWiz V2

3. wayt
    OP

Newcomer wayt Member

Canada
    i heard somewhere if you put the update disc and you don't have a wii key it will mess up.. and where would i see the switch?

4. beano311

Newcomer beano311 Advanced Member

United States
    No way to tell without bricking your Wii or opening it (that I know of). Safest way is to 1) open it or 2) ask the person who sold it to you.

5. wayt
    OP

Newcomer wayt Member

Canada
    alright thanks

6. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    It's not hard to open, just make sure you remember where the screws go when it goes back together and also don't drop any screws inside that u might not be able to fish out and you'll be fine.

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    the wlip site has a nice video showing how to open your wii

8. wayt
    OP

Newcomer wayt Member

Canada
    ugh, i don't have the tiny screw driver, and the tri-screwdriver either. I guess im just gonna have to wait until i have a copy of SSBB and pop it in and see what it does. someone should make some software to find this out -_____-"

EDIT: If I only put in the wii key update, does it tell me what version i have therefore confirming that I have a wii key? If i don't can't I just not update and my wii would not be bricked?
    Can someone answer me, if i put in the wiikey update disc, and i don't have a wiikey, what would happen?

9. Xandu

Member Xandu GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    Well I don't have a Wiikey and I tried the update, it just returns "update failed". Nothing happens to the Wii or the chip.
    I don't know what chip I have either :S.