Finding a Legit Pokemon Emerald

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Wire, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    I have been searching for Pokemon Emerald for several weeks and I had no idea if any on ebay are legit. I have found one but the pictures aren't too great and was wondering of my fellow tempers could help me out.
    Here is the image of the cartridge.
    smallImage

Last edited by Wire, Nov 24, 2015

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    How about a smaller image? I can't see it properly.

Ammako and TinyRick like this.
  3. TinyRick

TinyRick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Ummm. You do realize you put up a picture of an image that is super tiny right?

4. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    [​IMG] Here is a small image.
    Here is a big image.
    BIg

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sorry, fixed that.

5. TinyRick

TinyRick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Looks pretty fake to me. Label doesn't look shiny like it's supposed to, but that might be the camera angle. Depending on asking price and such, you're more than likely looking at a fake.

Nusdogg likes this.
  6. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    I only have a budget of $20, so its kind of tight(?) but I have no idea what it will take to get a legit cartridge. Thanks for letting me know that its fake, definitely will not be getting it from there. Also, would it be safe to assume its fake if the seller is selling multiple all at one time?

7. TinyRick

TinyRick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Yes that's a good indicator that they are selling fakes. Good luck trying to find a real one at that price... That might prove to be difficult.

8. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Well thanks for your help. Wish the budget wasn't an issue though.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Could this one be real?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Totally! My Emerald cart is identical, and is of course real!

10. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Thanks! I will most likely be ordering that one. Thank you for all the help. I just needed to make sure its real although a little above my budget, but hey its got to be done to be safe. ;)

11. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    I have a question, why the need to buy a phased out cartridge? Would it matter if it was fake or real? The same problem would exist, the battery had to be a good one to keep your save.

I'm just curious is all.

12. Wire
    OP

Wire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    I wanted to get Pokemon emerald so that I could complete my collection up to gen 5. I have all of the main games through black/white 2. I don't have a 3ds yet or I would be getting gen 6.

Misledz likes this.
  13. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    That's a pretty awesome dream there to collect all. Good thing to show the next generation what good handheld gaming was all about

14. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    I bought a bundle of Pokemon games on eBay last xmas for $40 which included Emerald, Sapphire, Leaf Green, Ruby, Fire Red.

Right after I paid, the auction suddenly disappeared and eBay sent me a message that I didn't have to pay. Nevertheless, the seller sent me a tracking number and the games arrived in about a month from China and appear totally legit, near mint condition, shiny labels and all.

My Emerald game plays fine and looks exactly like the one cited above as legit. Did I get a bunch of good fakes? Are there subtle indicators of fakes? Maybe wrong serial numbers, differences in the pcb?

15. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    Hard to say without a picture. I'd say that the shipment from china is a giveaway that they are fake.

16. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Front side almost identical to the one above. I think the only difference is the tiny yellow R to the bottom right of the Nintendo seal. EDIT: I notice there is also "09" above the seal on the one above.

Attached Files:

Last edited by romanaOne, Dec 6, 2015
  17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Those two look totally fake to me.

FireRed is dead obvious, this is what the insides of a legit one should look like:

And you should probably open up your Emerald too:

(Sorry this is the best quality camera I really have.)

You will also find that:
    - The (Nintendo) Logo is written really weird on yours;
    - The ® at the bottom right corner of the Official Nintendo Seal has a white background on yours, which shouldn't happen (makes the ® pretty much invisible on my Emerald, if it's even there at all, but you can see it on FireRed);
    - The AGB-BPRE-USA on your FireRed looks to be written in a slightly different font than on mine;
    - The "GAME BOY ADVANCE" thing at the top of the cartridge looks to be printed very crudely. I couldn't get a good picture directly from my Emerald or FireRed because the cartridges are see-through and my phone isn't good enough to get a good picture, but I got a picture from another GBA game:
    (I made that when I was like 12 okay x3)

You only showed Emerald and FireRed but I'd assume the others are fakes too.

Also the ones you showed don't seem to have any numbers/letters imprinted into the sticker which should be there on legit cartridges.

Last edited by Ammako, Dec 6, 2015
    cearp likes this.
  18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I honestly say, if you have a local game store that sells classic games, check them out first. I have a store in my town that actually goes through and checks to make sure their games are legit before buying/selling them.
    I do end up paying a little more for them, but paying the extra dollar to ensure I get a legit Pokemon game is worth more to me, then going cheap and getting a fake one.

19. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    I'm actually not fcsked up about their being fakes...was just curious. I've played them all a lot and they seem to work fine so no big deal. If real ones cost 20+ USD even after they look like someone played hockey with them, I'm content with mint $8 knock-offs, LOL.

20. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Have you actually beat the Elite Four on any of them?