Finding a cheap modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Zarxrax, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Zarxrax
    OP

Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2005
    United States
    I'm looking for a good modchip for as little cost as possible. It appears that there are some very cheap wiikeys out there. I was wondering if anyone can comment on whether these look legit, or point me towards another good deal. I don't particularly care if its a wiikey or something else, so long as it's a pretty good chip.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/BRAND-NEW-ORIGINAL...ntendo-23093287
    http://blujay.com/item/WiiKey-MODCHIP-FOR-...5060200-1672393

Also, I understand that I need a special screwdriver to open the wii. Where can I find one of these cheap? Thanks.

2. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    mod-chip.com carries both the screwdriver and a couple of mod-chips (including the WiiKey originals and clones).

3. Zarxrax
    OP

Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2005
    United States
    They don't seem terribly cheap... Heck, they charge $10 just for the screwdriver! [​IMG]

4. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    True they aren't very cheap (though the WiiKey clone they sell; 1 US$ 9.95 CA$ 11.87 AU$ 13.12) however I have never had ANY problems with them.

5. Zarxrax
    OP

Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2005
    United States
    Alright well... they seem to offer a low price guarantee, so I'll check into that [​IMG]

6. apb407

apb407 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2007
    United States
    heh i dont see the goldcoaster (sorry dont know the website too well though i might buy a wiikey or chip) guy any where near [​IMG] surprising

7. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Heh, well if you're like me, you could see if you can pull it off without spending a dime via WiiFree and other variations of readily available firmwares for some easily obtainable chips. I ordered 3 compatible chips from sample.microchip.com, which was completely free to do. The box they came in even made a nice place to store my spare notebook hard drive. Of course it's just a chip with no program on it so you'd have to build, buy or gain access to an appropriate programmer for the chip. Which is something I should have access to at my college I would think.

First hand though, I haven't installed or programmed the chips yet as I just got them for safe keeping. I don't actually plan on modding my Wii for a good long while. Plus I don't think these firmwares can be upgraded via DVD yet, but I could be wrong.

8. Goldcoastr

Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2007
    goldcoast,AU
    We have good price on complete pack for wiikey install
    included is wiikey chip screw driver set not just a tri-wing

+ 1 m Kynar wire for installation

for over sea's buyers maybe not so cheap cause shipping is little high but for aussie's yes good prices enjoy

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice