Apple FINALLY Making the switch to smartphones

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the past several years I've had an old slider phone, mainly due to liking the physical keyboard (and also having a lower cell bill). However I've decided it's time to finally make the switch to a smartphone. Due to the easy to use interface, and supposed better audio quality, I'm going to buy an IPhone. However I'm debating whether to get an Iphone 6s plus or 7 plus.

I have a few questions for people familiar with iphones:

-I've read the speaker quality is better with the seven. Is this noticeable? I would be streaming a lot of video, and would listen via the speakers, so speaker quality is very important.

-The seven has a significantly better chipset and RAM. However since I would mainly be using the phone for streaming video, such as MLB at bat and WWE network, would I really need the seven's improved RAM and chipset?

-The 7 no longer as a physical home button. Was this due to some sort of hardware issue making a physical button a reliability.

-The 7 has a hissing noise when the fan starts to run at a high speed. Does this occur often when streaming video and is it distracting?

-Since both the 6 and 7 have a 64 bit interface should they both be capable of running the latest IOS for years to come?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I own a 6S+. It’s a fantastic phone, and I love it. I own an iPhone X, as well, but I still use my 6S+ as my main phone. I’m not entirely sure about what the 7 has over the 6, but the speed of the phone is still good, and while it’s not OLED, the screen looks nice, as well.

I would advise against upgrading to the latest iOS version, though. I would say perhaps, if you’re lucky, you’d be able to install the next major upcoming iOS version (13, iirc), but even then, that might be a stretch. I’ve kept my 6S+ on iOS 10, and it works fine. I’ve heard some negative stories from others who upgraded to 12, because Apple might or might not have a tendency to slow down its phones once they’ve gotten a tad dated.

My only gripe with the 6S+, is the battery. It’s a bit short lived, these days, but it’s still a lovely phone.

(It works nicely for watching MLB streams, and having a physical home button is nice)

Reactions: Prior22

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For the past several years I've had an old slider phone, mainly due to liking the physical keyboard (and also having a lower cell bill). However I've decided it's time to finally make the switch to a smartphone. Due to the easy to use interface, and supposed better audio quality, I'm going to buy an IPhone. However I'm debating whether to get an Iphone 6s plus or 7 plus.

I have a few questions for people familiar with iphones:

-I've read the speaker quality is better with the seven. Is this noticeable? I would be streaming a lot of video, and would listen via the speakers, so speaker quality is very important.

-The seven has a significantly better chipset and RAM. However since I would mainly be using the phone for streaming video, such as MLB at bat and WWE network, would I really need the seven's improved RAM and chipset?

-The 7 no longer as a physical home button. Was this due to some sort of hardware issue making a physical button a reliability.

-The 7 has a hissing noise when the fan starts to run at a high speed. Does this occur often when streaming video and is it distracting?

-Since both the 6 and 7 have a 64 bit interface should they both be capable of running the latest IOS for years to come?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
I'm pretty sure none of the iPhones have a fan.

I'm not an iPhone user, but in my experience they have pretty good speakers. My brother is an iPhone user and has had multiple models and they always go louder and have better speaker sound quality than my Android phones. I think that's changed a bit now though as Samsung have started to put in stereo speakers.

I would recommend an Android device as you get far more bang for your buck, and the phones are more open letting you do what you want without many restrictions, for example you can download emulators straight from the Play Store and many things that would require jailbreaking an iPhone can be done on Android without rooting.
iPhone overall is simpler in functionality and use, but you would have no trouble with using Android either, it's very good these days.
My mom has been both an Android and iPhone user. She started out with Android and is now an iPhone 6 Plus owner, but she says she prefers Android and might be going back to it with the next phone she buys.

Also, the home button was removed in order to fit a bigger screen. Android is headed the same way with most phones now having onscreen home/back/recent apps buttons (which can be hidden), but Apple instead decided to make it gesture controlled. Up to you which one you prefer.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a 6S+. It’s a fantastic phone, and I love it. I own an iPhone X, as well, but I still use my 6S+ as my main phone. I’m not entirely sure about what the 7 has over the 6, but the speed of the phone is still good, and while it’s not OLED, the screen looks nice, as well.

I would advise against upgrading to the latest iOS version, though. I would say perhaps, if you’re lucky, you’d be able to install the next major upcoming iOS version (13, iirc), but even then, that might be a stretch. I’ve kept my 6S+ on iOS 10, and it works fine. I’ve heard some negative stories from others who upgraded to 12, because Apple might or might not have a tendency to slow down its phones once they’ve gotten a tad dated.

My only gripe with the 6S+, is the battery. It’s a bit short lived, these days, but it’s still a lovely phone.

(It works nicely for watching MLB streams, and having a physical home button is nice)

So you own two iphones, but use the older one as your main phone? Any reason in particular you find the 6S+ superior to the newer X?

When you stream video do you use earbuds or listen via the speakers? And if it's via the speakers is the sound close to that of the x?

Also when it comes to IOS versions I personally would have no problem staying on an older firmware. However don't a lot of key apps require new firmware? Particular video apps?

I'm pretty sure none of the iPhones have a fan.

I'm not an iPhone user, but in my experience they have pretty good speakers. My brother is an iPhone user and has had multiple models and they always go louder and have better speaker sound quality than my Android phones. I think that's changed a bit now though as Samsung have started to put in stereo speakers.

I would recommend an Android device as you get far more bang for your buck, and the phones are more open letting you do what you want without many restrictions, for example you can download emulators straight from the Play Store and many things that would require jailbreaking an iPhone can be done on Android without rooting.
iPhone overall is simpler in functionality and use, but you would have no trouble with using Android either, it's very good these days.
My mom has been both an Android and iPhone user. She started out with Android and is now an iPhone 6 Plus owner, but she says she prefers Android and might be going back to it with the next phone she buys.

Also, the home button was removed in order to fit a bigger screen. Android is headed the same way with most phones now having onscreen home/back/recent apps buttons (which can be hidden), but Apple instead decided to make it gesture controlled. Up to you which one you prefer.

https://www.businessinsider.com/his...eird-hissing-noise-owners-say-buzzgate-2016-9

Would this be the sort of issue that would be resolved with newer 7 Plus releases?

I know launch models of any sophisticated electronic are prone to issues. So perhaps this is just a case where the newer batches fixed whatever the problem was.

Also when it comes to iphone emulation would I have to root just to use emulators like epsxe and mupen?

Last edited by Prior22,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So you own two iphones, but use the older one as your main phone? Any reason in particular you find the 6S+ superior to the newer X?

When you stream video do you use earbuds or listen via the speakers? And if it's via the speakers is the sound close to that of the x?

Also when it comes to IOS versions I personally would have no problem staying on an older firmware. However don't a lot of key apps require new firmware? Particular video apps?

https://www.businessinsider.com/his...eird-hissing-noise-owners-say-buzzgate-2016-9

Would this be the sort of issue that would be resolved with newer 7 Plus releases?

I know launch models of any sophisticated electronic are prone to issues. So perhaps this is just a case where the newer batches fixed whatever the problem was.

Also when it comes to iphone emulation would I have to root just to use emulators like espxe and mupen?
I don't know. It's probably coil whine, which can certainly be a problem on some devices, haven't really heard of it being an issue on phones before though. Anyway, coil whine usually isn't very loud at all so you'd probably be able to ignore it easily.

You can do some emulation on iPhone without rooting. It's pretty sketchy though. Apple have made it so that you can install/run apps outside of the App Store in more recent iOS versions, but they have to be signed specifically for your phone, and the signed apps expire in 1 week IIRC. The way you have to do it is you download a sketchy looking app from App Store which works as a middle man and lets you install SOME non-Apple-approved apps including some emulators and automatically signs the apps for you. But they have to be reinstalled once they expire, in order to sign them again for another week.
The less sketchy but not as easy way of doing this is through Cydia Impactor (and this is what you will have to use anyway if you want apps that aren't available through the easier way): http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/
Android on the other hand lets you sideload apk files easily (which most of the time you won't even need to do as almost anything is allowed onto the Play Store), rooting is also generally easier than jailbreaking an iPhone is, but the vast majority of users won't need to root as it's mostly for doing power user stuff like modding parts of the system to add features.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
find the 6S+ superior to the newer X?
I'm not really a fan of the X's style. Holding it feels less comfortable, and I've just grown too accustomed to the way the 6s feels. Plus, the lack of a home button still feels weird.

I use bluetooth headphones, though I've used the speakers, which are a tad quiet for me, but completely serviceable. I play podcasts to fall asleep to, leaving the phone on a nightstand, and I can definitely hear it. If you're in a room with a lot of background noise, though, it might blend in.

I've gotten away with everything still working on my lower FW, though that could change in a few years. MLB At Bat, YouTube, Overcast, every major app I use still has a legacy or older fw compliant version.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Prior22
Relevant video:

Edit: And just to be impartial, here's the iPhone counterpart:

Interesting that iphones have the advantage in terms of being usable for longer periods of time. I'd like to be able to get at least three years, if not more, from a 500 or 600 dollar purchase.

That combined with the speaker quality and easy to use IOS makes a 500+ dollar purchase easier to justify. The only downside, for me at least, is not being able to run emulators without rooting or other methodology.

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
I thought you meant you were making your Nintendo Switch into a smartphone. I am much less confused now.

i thought the same thing.
i need to go to bed.

i used to have the T-Mobile Sidekick and the LG Voyager

Interesting that iphones have the advantage in terms of being usable for longer periods of time. I'd like to be able to get at least three years, if not more, from a 500 or 600 dollar purchase.

That combined with the speaker quality and easy to use IOS makes a 500+ dollar purchase easier to justify. The only downside, for me at least, is not being able to run emulators without rooting or other methodology.

i used to have the T-Mobile Sidekick, the LG Voyager, and the Palm Pixi.
but that was eons ago..
in a different time..
a different land..
a different life..
:shit::whip:

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What sort of case do you use with your iphone? I'm looking at the Otterbox Defender. The kickstand feature is a nice perk.

Only thing that worries me is the screen protector. Do you find that it makes texting tougher to accomplish?

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
iPhones (and no smartphones in general) has any fans inside but there you is a hissing issue in since of them.
They switched newer models to no Home button as the next big thing from them and to stretch screen size only.
I advise against getting an iPhone and would rather recommend getting a mid-range or high-end Android phone as it'd fit your needs at much lower cost.
Namely, I recommend the Pocophone for you.

EDIT: Android has the overall advantage of tinkering with the entire phone and getting one with a lot of development is a considerable advantage.
A high-end one would mean that it's completely updatable no matter how old it gets (assuming you got a maimstream one like Samsung's).
Some mid-range phones also get much attention due to how able the phone is and other conveniences (among the best of examples: the Pocophone).

You could go to XDA developers website to research the phone you intend to buy beforehand for deeper reviews and perfect fit to your needs.

Last edited by Super.Nova,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
What sort of case do you use with your iphone? I'm looking at the Otterbox Defender. The kickstand feature is a nice perk.

Only thing that worries me is the screen protector. Do you find that it makes texting tougher to accomplish?
Spigen case + 15$ Amazon tempered glass screen protector. Works perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse