Finally got my R4i Unlimited Upgrade..a little help.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nokeo, Jan 11, 2012.

Jan 11, 2012
  1. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    Hey everyone. I ordered my R4i from Asia at the end of November. They had made an update to work with the latest firmware. Thus delaying the process but giving me the new R4i.

I just wanted a quick link to the REAL kernal. The official websites suggests downloading FW 1.4 then upgrading again. Just want to hear the others opinions first. Thanks guys!

2. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What is the website printed at the bottom of the card?

3. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
  4. jimmyemunoz

United States
    Does your card have "unlimited upgrade" on the front sticker?

5. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    Yes, it looks just as it does on the picture. Box and everything. Silvery, Red circle under R4i and says unlimited upgradeable. (The actual card)

6. jimmyemunoz

United States
    Go here and download the v1.43f firmware under the language header "English" and also download the "upgrade firmware package" that is available directly above the first thing you downloaded. Extract both of the file archives (the 2 files you downloaded are referred to as archives, so use the program 7zip) and place them at the root of the micro sdhc card. Take your micro sdhc card out of your computer and place it in your R4i card and boot it up. Now, go to the upgrade file so it is highlighted on your DS screen and then press the "A" button. Let it update! When it's finished and says "Successful" go ahead and press the power button, turning your 3DS off. Turn your DS back on and make sure it updated. If it did you can take the update file off your micro sdhc card as it's no longer needed. To do that just attach the micro sdhc card back to your computer and select and then choose to delete the file(s) (I don't know for a fact if your card's upgrade firmware package has one file or two, so I added the (s) after file) but do not delete the 1.43f Kernel, leave that ON your micro sdhc card. You can make a new folder on your micro sdhc card and call it "Games." Put all your .nds files there! :D

On a side note, the card you have might be good to go on 3.0.0-6 and 1.43 firmware, but play it safe and update it so your card is fully up to date.

1 person likes this.
  7. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Is that the cart you got?

8. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    Alright thanks. So put in 1.4 Kernal, then right after copy the upgraded firmware to the root as well? No need to turn on 3DS after 1.4 is in?

9. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom

10. jimmyemunoz

United States
    No, once the "upgrade firmware package" has been added to the micro sdhc card you DO need to boot up the 3DS and actually run the file so it is applied to the r4i card bootloader.

***Please read my other post again as I added some more info there***

11. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    Thanks again all! I just wanted to be more safe than sorry. I know Nintendo is trying real hard to crackdown on us piraters. Also on a side note..should I turn off wireless capability and/or remove my connection from the Nintendo Internet Settings.

12. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    It's a clone card. I am sure of it. Shows up as the Spidewick Chronicles. It came on fine. I couldn't see the .nds file for the upgrade. Turned it off. Turned it back on. It doesn't even show up anymore. Alright..

13. jimmyemunoz

United States
    What do you specifically mean when you say you couldn't see the upgrade.nds file? In other words start at the beginning in your response to me telling me step by step. First step, I turned the 3DS on. Step two, the R4i showed up as the game Spiderwick Chronicles. Then.....

14. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    I went into the Spiderwick Chronicles. It shows up at the r4i menu interface. The three touchable button, the first one being the smiley where you go into the microsd and choose your files. As I recall correctly from the original R4 clicking R would manage the files in certain order. Anyways I didn't click R. I only saw a TSflash something and I knew that wasn't it. I turned it off. I remove both two files for the 3.0 upgrade. I restore them. I put it back into my R4i card and the ds does not recognize it as a game. It just shows up a blank box. I have removed all files and even restored the kernal and update. Nothing :/

15. jimmyemunoz

United States
    The TSflash was probably it because you put the upgrade program on the micro sdhc card and its duty, so to speak, is to "flash" your boot loader. I hope to God that the TSflash wasn't running. If it was you broke the biggest rule of all, don't ever turn your DS off while it is updating. I hope you saw just the file in a listing format. Was it listed like you could choose it or was it running on screen?

16. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    Nah, it's okay. I fucked up. I ruined the card. Just sucks to admit it. Yep, I broke the rule and broke the card. Can't return it can I?

17. jimmyemunoz

United States
    I PM'd you with instructions, go read them and send your friend code too. :)

18. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    You broke it. Of course you can't.

19. Nokeo
    OP

Newcomer Nokeo Member

United States
    It's funny. I wake up a few hours ago, comes in the mail and i bust it. Even have my original R4 that I had no trouble using. Ugh, I feel like a fucking dumbass.

20. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    It's a cheap enough card, you can easily replace it.