Finally ditching my R4.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by War, Jul 27, 2008.

Jul 27, 2008

Finally ditching my R4. by War at 3:50 AM (3,145 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    One of my friends isn't allowed to buy things online, and wants a slot-1 solution, so I offered to sell him my R4DS + 2Gb Kingston for 50 bucks. (Sue me -w-) Anyway, with 50 bucks, what do you guys think I should go for? I looked at all the GBAtemp Official Reviews, and I can't decide which cart I want... the Supercard looks pretty good, since it has a lot of neat features and can also run DSTT and SAKURA firmware... I also keep hearing great things about the CycloDS Evo, but the thing is, it's a pretty big difference between buying a Supercard + 1Gb memory card for $32 than buying a CycloDS by itself for around $53 (plus shipping if RHS doesn't have free shipping...) What do you guys think?

I'm mainly looking for a good card hat will allow me to play NDS backups (duh), has a good team behind it that updates a lot, (at least more than the R4DS...), and those neat little side features would be a huge plus (especially in-game text reader, real time saving, more than one save per game, cheat support, etc)

2. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With the features you want, the cyclo ds evolution or the supercard ds one would probably be best. If you want to save money you could go for something cheaper without all of your wanted features. Many cheap cards are available.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, it's not like I can afford many carts... or to buy a new one every couple of months or so. So when I buy one, it has to be good, has to last me a long time, and has to have good support. (All things which the R4 fails at)

4. Dragoon709

Member Dragoon709 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I really like my m3 real. There is no gba support without a slot 2 expanion but other than that it has just about all the features you are looking for (no in game text reader that I know of). it also has support for the sdhc cards. [​IMG]

5. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I would get a CycloDS Evolution. It has the best support.

6. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    -sigh- I guess I might just have to dish out the extra 20 bucks. The only thing that sucks is that when I sell my R4, I'm gonna give my friend my second SD card... leaving me with just 2Gbs for ROMs.

7. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    2 GB is a lot if you trim roms. I got 30+ roms on my 2GB Transcend, GBA and DS and I've yet to have to delete anything. If you are going to add music and movies then I guess you might have a hard time.

8. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    The R4 fails? Wow, I remember when it was the freaking rage of the DS world and everyone loved it INCREDIBLY. Last a long time? That R4 will probably last years if it's taken care of well. Your friend will probably prove this. Has to have good support? The R4 team has like every single game working, I think there is like one random game exception but so what? They R4 has pretty much perfect compatibility and has great cheat support and everything. It obviously fails. What was I thinking?

Anyway, as for the actual topic at hand, I say if you want the most for your money go for the supercard and a MicroSD package. You can get a bunch of stuff for $50 and it really doesn't matter if you get a cyclo or not because it seems you are more focused on the money than the features since I doubt the features matter the $20 extra to you. Go for the supercard.

9. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    The R4 sucks. Get over it. Most budget cards surpass it in features, ROM compatibility, and support.

On topic: I suggest you just get a DSTT or an Acekard 2, and use the extra ~30 dollars on an 8GB Micro SD. I have a Supercard DS One, and I just boot the DSTT firmware on it anyways. The Supercard's extra features aren't really useful to me, (who the hell wants slowdowns in their games? [​IMG] ) Plus, it's cheat system pretty much sucks. Only good features I see in it would have to be the built-in Moonshell, and and the Real Time Saving. Other than that, I prefer the DSTT over it, and I suggest you get one so you'll have enough money for a good sized Micro SD.

10. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    For the guy who asked, I actually do like to have a lot of ROMs at once, because I don't always have access to the computer like I do now... But I have it for ROMs and GBA games, which is why i need more than 2Gbs. Besides, if you think about some DS ROMs like EBA, Ouendan 1&2, Soma Bringer, those are around 100MBs+

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I know that a lot of people recommend Team Cyclops for their quick support, but what I think matters is long-time support. Supercard Team has proven that they offer excellent long-time support as they still create new updates for their oldest flashcarts.

12. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I don't even own an R4 but I know it doesn't really suck. How quick people change their opinions.......

Anyway, I have been meaning to ask someone with a supercard, how exactly is the cheat system? Is it the same thing everyone loves using, Narin's usercheat.Dat file, and extremely easy to do cheats? Is it even compatible with it? If it is I don't see what the problem is. Also, slow down is a VERY handy feature in some games.

13. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    STAY ON TOPIC. FKSAKES.

Narin also includes the .SCC (Supercard Cheat) files for his cheat database now.

On-Topic: There's two cards that I find worthwhile, CycloDS and the SCDS1. I have both of them, and I like them both equally. Although the original SCDS1 firmware's GUI is slow, but at least you're able to activate 'individual' cheats in-game.

14. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Also, doesn't the SCDS load the Sakura firmware? How good is that? Because I keep hearing everyone raving over the Sakura firmware, and I wanna know if it's better to get a SCDS with Sakura firmware or spend 20 more bucks and get a Cyclo.

15. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    the SCDS just can load a hacked version of sakura which cannot play commercial games and homebrews afaik. this version should be even able to run on your R4

16. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    I wouldnt suggest getting the sakura firmware @ all!! it doesnt even play games if you use the hacked one [​IMG] anyways, team ak game me an ak2 to review at my site dstemp.com , It was a very good card and was highly skinable, and yes it can run sakura hacked [​IMG] but it lacks RTS

17. Nintenterd

Newcomer Nintenterd Advanced Member

Canada
    "I'm mainly looking for a good card hat will allow me to play NDS backups (duh), has a good team behind it that updates a lot, (at least more than the R4DS...), and those neat little side features would be a huge plus (especially in-game text reader, real time saving, more than one save per game, cheat support, etc)"

If ur looking for all those things, The CycloDs Evo is the right one for you,

Team Cyclops Updates their firmwares more frequantly then The R4 team, the CycloDs Evo Has an in game text reader(recently added), has a real time saving function, cheat support.

The Cylco Ds also Has diffrent types of speeds that You can Run ur games in, and Can play In black and white colour (i think)

AND (this one is a biggie) The CycloDs Evo supports connecting to the Wii! So you can connect Pokemon to ur wii Via Wii ware(my pokemon Ranch) or pokemon battle revolution

Unlike the R4(which i have -.-) Lacks of connecting to wii..-.-

18. superdude

Member superdude GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you should get you flashcart from dealexetrem.com you can get a supercard for $30

19. James B.

Member James B. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Cyclo DS, all the way. They have the best team around, and the most features.

20. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Well, the point is, don't tell those features when you're telling somebody what should s/he buy, since they're not needed

Although, CycloDS is a good flashcart, I agree, but tell us more useful features next time, 'k?