1. 2,349

Front-page
    castlevania.PNG

Netflix's popular video game-to-TV adaptation, Castlevania, is coming to an end. The 10-episode Season 4 will be its final one and will premiere this May 13.

And while the adventures of Trevor & co. is coming to an end, Deadline reports that Netflix is looking into ordering a new series set in the same universe but with an "an entirely new cast of characters".

The scripts for the final season were apparently finished by the animated series' veteran writer, Warren Ellis, before he faced allegations of sexual misconduct; allegations which he firmly denied. According to the Deadline report, he has had no further involvement in Castlevania and wasn't involved in the talks of the potential new show.

:arrow: SOURCE

tyrantnyx, RyRyIV, Xzi and 5 others like this.
  2. Discussion (23 replies)

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The first season was pretty ok, not amazing but also not as awful as I expected.

I wasn't a huge fan of pretty much everything after that though, I'll probably still watch this one though just to finish off the series.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Weeb Snake™ Snek

Antarctica
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I’ve been literally checking religiously for this season, so I am hyped. I didn’t expect this to be a final season but I guess there aren’t really enough threads for more seasons.

AlanJohn likes this.
  5. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

United States
    This is one of the best Game to Show adaptions I've ever seen in my opinion! Hopefully we will get more shows of this caliber that represent games.

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    i wonder how they'll ruin Hector this season.

Ace001 likes this.
  7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    So are they planning a whole anthology series based on the rest of the Castlevania timeline?
    That'd be fucking bollocks to watch for sure!

Better yet...
    Bring the entire 90s war that saw the final demise of Dracula in series form!
    That would be amazing to see in full detail and in-canon with the games.

8. Anon_Cypher_

Anon_Cypher_ GBAtemp Regular

Lebanon
    Still haven't seen the series. Is it any good?

9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    a lot of it is good, some of it is soso, certain decisions were more than questionable though

Silent_Gunner and Anon_Cypher_ like this.
  10. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan God
    Contributor

United States
    I think Aria of Sorrow would be a good one to adapt if they are gonna keep it going. My boy Soma Cruz!

It's not bad but the pacing isn't all that good, especially in the last season. I still enjoyed it and there is some pretty good fights here and there but it's very much a slow burn kinda show.

Silent_Gunner and Anon_Cypher_ like this.
  11. RyRyIV

RyRyIV GDDM
    Reviewer

United States
    Huh. Unfortunate that it’s going to end here; I was hoping to see them touch on a bit more than Trevor’s story, and show Simon and Richter some love. Still, rather it end than get dragged out even further. The first season was very good despite how limited it was, but second and third had a ton of pacing and filler issues. Really would’ve rather they stuck to four high quality episodes per season, honestly.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  12. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I only saw the first season of this show, not anything after that.

AlexMCS likes this.
  13. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    I’m intrigued to see what they will do with the new series ,obviously there is a demand for it which is great

14. McPringles

McPringles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The plot last season was dumb as hell, and the gratuitous sex scenes near the end didn't do anything to help. Don't really see much reason to believe that this one will be any better.

Ace001 likes this.
  15. Louse

Louse go play rez

United States
    but that was the beeeessst paaaaaart man.

16. tommikinder

tommikinder GBAtemp Regular

Gutted this is the final series, it's been so good... Oh well, looking forward to the Tomb Raider anime next!

17. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    *Dracula evil laugh in it being based on Trevor's bizarre adventure*

18. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    For your opinions. For me, I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait for the final chapter so I can move on. I don't complaint. Loved three seasons. The fourth season and a final. Whooo!

PvD79 likes this.
  19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The best part of this announcement is hearing this'll be the final time they ruin every character in the Castlevania series

The dialogue was written by a four-year-old. It doesn't remotely fit the time period which is jarringly awkward. Basically none of the characters fit their real personalities. Without any spoilers, Alucard and Hector are definitely by far the most ruined. I'm also very confused how Isaac became a black dude when he very clearly was a freaky-looking white dude with red hair (wait aren't they doing the same thing to the little mermaid? Hollywood really hates redheads). Netflix has a bad history of woke-ifying series for no reason so that's probably why. Man I really wanted to like the series because they have some great action scenes, but it's just a slog. I'm just watching it due to sunk cost fallacy at this point.

20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    My biggest problem is why the focus on Hector and Isaac in the first place? If this is about the third Castlevania game (and yes, I know Curse of Darkness is the sequel to Dracula's Curse...which sounds weird when put together), shouldn't it be more about Trevor, Sypha, Alucard, and Grant (srsly, have they even namedropped the dude, or did he get killed by LeChuck from the Monkey Island games offscreen?) and their struggles through Dracula's forces? I think they easily could have had a good four seasons of that, and the first season seemed to be setting up for it...but instead, we get drama between Dracula's commanders, who should be his second in command (which reminds me, where is Death?), and why Dracula is getting tired, Hector and Isaac's backstories, Trevor and Sypha looking through a library that hasn't been looted and is perfectly preserved and everything, etc..

I don't even think the Forgemasters should have even got a whole lot of screentime; I think at best, they should have been saved as the last battle for Dracula at the end of this season, maybe with Hector having a change of heart and severely wounding Isaac and giving Trevor some sort of special oakstake to kill Dracula with before running off or something.

For me, I stopped watching after the second season; they kill Dracula off at the halfway point, and Carmilla (who doesn't really appear in any of the games at all if you're not counting Curse of the Moon...which I do, but for IGA, it depends on what he had for dinner at night) is apparently the villain for the third season, and I don't know what happens at the end of season 3 other than apparently a bunch of sex scenes that even MercurySteam, for as much crap as their games get, never stooped to.

I just think adapting video games, especially older games who's stories were so important that, at best, you might get an intro crawl like in Castlevania 3, or nothing at all in the case of Mega Man 1, is just a losing proposition; a lot of those games back then were based on various movies, anime, comic books, and other media at the time of their conception that it's better to just watch the media that inspired the game than to watch what is ultimately a mish-mash of influences that don't always stay consistent from game to game.

As opposed to making a Metroid movie, just watch Alien and Aliens...and maybe Alien 3 if you want an ending that says "NO MORE SEQUELS!...until they screw it up with Resurrection"

Instead of making a Castlevania adaptation, watch one of the old Dracula movies.

For a Mortal Kombat equivalent (Even if MK 1995 was one of the less "that's not anything like the games" adaptations), watch Enter the Dragon, Bloodsport, or Big Trouble in Little China, of which Daniel Pesina himself said was the main inspiration for a lot of the first MK game!

For Contra, watch Rambo 1 and 2. The rest are kind of...eh.

Meepers55 and BitMasterPlus like this.
  21. Meepers55

Meepers55 Flintstones Regular

United States
    After that abysmal third season, I'm not exactly excited for it. I'm more interested in that Resident Evil anime at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - ‘Castlevania’, Netflixs, season