Final season of Netflix's ‘Castlevania’ to air next month

castlevania.PNG

Netflix's popular video game-to-TV adaptation, Castlevania, is coming to an end. The 10-episode Season 4 will be its final one and will premiere this May 13.

And while the adventures of Trevor & co. is coming to an end, Deadline reports that Netflix is looking into ordering a new series set in the same universe but with an "an entirely new cast of characters".

The scripts for the final season were apparently finished by the animated series' veteran writer, Warren Ellis, before he faced allegations of sexual misconduct; allegations which he firmly denied. According to the Deadline report, he has had no further involvement in Castlevania and wasn't involved in the talks of the potential new show.

:arrow: SOURCE

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I’ve been literally checking religiously for this season, so I am hyped. I didn’t expect this to be a final season but I guess there aren’t really enough threads for more seasons.

Reactions: AlanJohn

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So are they planning a whole anthology series based on the rest of the Castlevania timeline?
That'd be fucking bollocks to watch for sure!

Better yet...
Bring the entire 90s war that saw the final demise of Dracula in series form!
That would be amazing to see in full detail and in-canon with the games.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Aria of Sorrow would be a good one to adapt if they are gonna keep it going. My boy Soma Cruz!

Still haven't seen the series. Is it any good?

It's not bad but the pacing isn't all that good, especially in the last season. I still enjoyed it and there is some pretty good fights here and there but it's very much a slow burn kinda show.

RyRyIV

Primitive Screwhead
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh. Unfortunate that it’s going to end here; I was hoping to see them touch on a bit more than Trevor’s story, and show Simon and Richter some love. Still, rather it end than get dragged out even further. The first season was very good despite how limited it was, but second and third had a ton of pacing and filler issues. Really would’ve rather they stuck to four high quality episodes per season, honestly.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The plot last season was dumb as hell, and the gratuitous sex scenes near the end didn't do anything to help. Don't really see much reason to believe that this one will be any better.

Reactions: Ace001

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are they planning a whole anthology series based on the rest of the Castlevania timeline?
That'd be fucking bollocks to watch for sure!

Better yet...
Bring the entire 90s war that saw the final demise of Dracula in series form!
That would be amazing to see in full detail and in-canon with the games.

*Dracula evil laugh in it being based on Trevor's bizarre adventure*

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your opinions. For me, I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait for the final chapter so I can move on. I don't complaint. Loved three seasons. The fourth season and a final. Whooo!

Reactions: PvD79

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best part of this announcement is hearing this'll be the final time they ruin every character in the Castlevania series

The dialogue was written by a four-year-old. It doesn't remotely fit the time period which is jarringly awkward. Basically none of the characters fit their real personalities. Without any spoilers, Alucard and Hector are definitely by far the most ruined. I'm also very confused how Isaac became a black dude when he very clearly was a freaky-looking white dude with red hair (wait aren't they doing the same thing to the little mermaid? Hollywood really hates redheads). Netflix has a bad history of woke-ifying series for no reason so that's probably why. Man I really wanted to like the series because they have some great action scenes, but it's just a slog. I'm just watching it due to sunk cost fallacy at this point.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best part of this announcement is hearing this'll be the final time they ruin every character in the Castlevania series

The dialogue was written by a four-year-old. It doesn't remotely fit the time period which is jarringly awkward. Basically none of the characters fit their real personalities. Without any spoilers, Alucard and Hector are definitely by far the most ruined. I'm also very confused how Isaac became a black dude when he very clearly was a freaky-looking white dude with red hair (wait aren't they doing the same thing to the little mermaid? Hollywood really hates redheads). Netflix has a bad history of woke-ifying series for no reason so that's probably why. Man I really wanted to like the series because they have some great action scenes, but it's just a slog. I'm just watching it due to sunk cost fallacy at this point.

My biggest problem is why the focus on Hector and Isaac in the first place? If this is about the third Castlevania game (and yes, I know Curse of Darkness is the sequel to Dracula's Curse...which sounds weird when put together), shouldn't it be more about Trevor, Sypha, Alucard, and Grant (srsly, have they even namedropped the dude, or did he get killed by LeChuck from the Monkey Island games offscreen?) and their struggles through Dracula's forces? I think they easily could have had a good four seasons of that, and the first season seemed to be setting up for it...but instead, we get drama between Dracula's commanders, who should be his second in command (which reminds me, where is Death?), and why Dracula is getting tired, Hector and Isaac's backstories, Trevor and Sypha looking through a library that hasn't been looted and is perfectly preserved and everything, etc..

I don't even think the Forgemasters should have even got a whole lot of screentime; I think at best, they should have been saved as the last battle for Dracula at the end of this season, maybe with Hector having a change of heart and severely wounding Isaac and giving Trevor some sort of special oakstake to kill Dracula with before running off or something.

For me, I stopped watching after the second season; they kill Dracula off at the halfway point, and Carmilla (who doesn't really appear in any of the games at all if you're not counting Curse of the Moon...which I do, but for IGA, it depends on what he had for dinner at night) is apparently the villain for the third season, and I don't know what happens at the end of season 3 other than apparently a bunch of sex scenes that even MercurySteam, for as much crap as their games get, never stooped to.

I just think adapting video games, especially older games who's stories were so important that, at best, you might get an intro crawl like in Castlevania 3, or nothing at all in the case of Mega Man 1, is just a losing proposition; a lot of those games back then were based on various movies, anime, comic books, and other media at the time of their conception that it's better to just watch the media that inspired the game than to watch what is ultimately a mish-mash of influences that don't always stay consistent from game to game.

As opposed to making a Metroid movie, just watch Alien and Aliens...and maybe Alien 3 if you want an ending that says "NO MORE SEQUELS!...until they screw it up with Resurrection"

Instead of making a Castlevania adaptation, watch one of the old Dracula movies.

For a Mortal Kombat equivalent (Even if MK 1995 was one of the less "that's not anything like the games" adaptations), watch Enter the Dragon, Bloodsport, or Big Trouble in Little China, of which Daniel Pesina himself said was the main inspiration for a lot of the first MK game!

For Contra, watch Rambo 1 and 2. The rest are kind of...eh.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After that abysmal third season, I'm not exactly excited for it. I'm more interested in that Resident Evil anime at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...