'Final Fantasy XVI' development delayed by nearly 6 months; big reveal expected in Spring 2022

ff xvi.JPG

News regarding the next Final Fantasy installment, Final Fantasy XVI, will have to wait as development has been affected due to COVID-19 related reasons. “When we last spoke, I promised I would have more information on Final Fantasy XVI sometime later in 2021,” wrote the game's producer Naoki Yoshida in a statement. “However, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to keep that promise, as complications from the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic have delayed the game’s development by almost half a year.”

However, the producer does give more details regarding when we can expect news of the game. More specifically, he plans to have the next "big reveal" in Spring 2022.

You can read Naoki Yoshida's full statement in the official tweet below:

:arrow: SOURCE

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
expected with how quiet it has been around it. still very much looking forward to it, although I will be waiting for the pc version to play it
From what I remember, the last numerical game, 15, had been in dev hell for near-on a decade. First it was 13 Versus, or such, for the PS3, before that dev hell had it moved to the PS4 and renamed to 15.

What I'm trying to say is that I personally wouldn't be surprised if this takes a while to come out; there's precedence already, for FF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I couldn't play much of 15 back in the day because I just did not like its combat system; hopefully they use something else. I'd like to see 12's system return, but that's definitely a subjective option; I do see why someone wouldn't want it back.

Also, 15's story wasn't done well, and neither was the worldbuilding, and so was 13's (14 is an MMO, so it can be skipped). Hopefully this one's better.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Pup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured something like this would happen after months of silence. Oh well, I'm not too stressed about it. I will still pre-order.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, they can only stretch so far, with the recent debacle of FFVII PC port.
I thought they would start later, actually.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Glyptofane sent me a link to an article about this delay last night I think it was. I'm somewhat looking forward to the game, I'll probably buy it, but final fantasy xiii is the last one I played. never really got into xiii-2 or 3. xiii wasn't exactly terrible, but it didn't seem epic. the one thing I don't like about current rpgs is that there's no overworld. I guess I feel like the hallway method of rpgs now makes the games seem less epic and more enclosed. I did buy final fantasy vii remake intergrade, but I haven't started it yet. and, final fantasy xv royal edition is free on the ps5 if you're a psn+ subscriber. lots of pretty good games on there including ratchet and clank, god of war, and persona 5 royal iirc, all free as long as you're a psn+ subscriber.

Reactions: Glyptofane

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah yeah not looking forward so use whatever excuse you want (since COVID is the excuse of the decade), since it will be available for PC after 1+ year on PS5 then maybe 1+ year on epic games so whatever.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Glyptofane sent me a link to an article about this delay last night I think it was. I'm somewhat looking forward to the game, I'll probably buy it, but final fantasy xiii is the last one I played. never really got into xiii-2 or 3. xiii wasn't exactly terrible, but it didn't seem epic. the one thing I don't like about current rpgs is that there's no overworld. I guess I feel like the hallway method of rpgs now makes the games seem less epic and more enclosed. I did buy final fantasy vii remake intergrade, but I haven't started it yet. and, final fantasy xv royal edition is free on the ps5 if you're a psn+ subscriber. lots of pretty good games on there including ratchet and clank, god of war, and persona 5 royal iirc, all free as long as you're a psn+ subscriber.
I have sort of a love/hate relationship with the FF series. I still consider IV-VI and IX to be masterpieces, III and VII to be pretty good, and have at least some sort of appreciation for some of the others. I've been warming back up to the series as a whole again lately, but don't think it'll ever be quite as exciting as before. I'll almost undoubtedly get XVI someday, not finish it, and contend that it isn't that bad, much like XIII and XV.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have sort of a love/hate relationship with the FF series. I still consider IV-VI and IX to be masterpieces, III and VII to be pretty good, and have at least some sort of appreciation for some of the others. I've been warming back up to the series as a whole again lately, but don't think it'll ever be quite as exciting as before. I'll almost undoubtedly get XVI someday, not finish it, and contend that it isn't that bad, much like XIII and XV.
I need to start playing my ps5. I've been hung up on nso with the n64 for weeks. just beat the water temple in oot, which is like the 7th dungeon, so not much more to beat. though, I doubt I can get 100% without a guide. I did find and get all skulltulas in the water temple, but finding all 100 sounds like a major task. I haven't used a guide at all, and thankfully, it's not that long between dungeons, though I have like two medallions to get, and I have no idea where they could be after going to the main areas. I also got the second hammer in paper Mario. I have like 8 or 9 hours in that. I'm loving the game. the fact that I've learned qte sort of stuff with the dkc games has made timing stuff easier, but I'm not perfect at it. haven't died yet, and I did manage to beat that one room with those 12-15 pokeys. I didn't get anything for my troubles though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, @Glyptofane , I plan to play final fantasy xv royal edition at some point. I downloaded it on the ps5 for free as you know. I haven't played final fantasy xv at all, even on my exploited ps4 when I have it. I'm hoping it's at least decent. I noticed that ratchet and clank and bloodborne are on the ps4 collection for free on the ps5. I have both games. I dumped both on the ps4, even added the 60fps mod to my bloodborne dump, but I kinda regret buying them, since I can get them for free now.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually kind of looking forward to FF16 given it's Yoshi-P who's producing it. At least an apology from him feels more sincere, and at least he's willing to take the hit saying that the decisions come down to him. Not often enough that you see hire-ups taking some degree of fault. I'm sure he's already seen a lot of pressure with the number of issues that have plagued FF14 as of late.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I remember, the last numerical game, 15, had been in dev hell for near-on a decade. First it was 13 Versus, or such, for the PS3, before that dev hell had it moved to the PS4 and renamed to 15.

What I'm trying to say is that I personally wouldn't be surprised if this takes a while to come out; there's precedence already, for FF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I couldn't play much of 15 back in the day because I just did not like its combat system; hopefully they use something else. I'd like to see 12's system return, but that's definitely a subjective option; I do see why someone wouldn't want it back.

Also, 15's story wasn't done well, and neither was the worldbuilding, and so was 13's (14 is an MMO, so it can be skipped). Hopefully this one's better.
The producer of this is the same guy who's been in charge of FF14 and that game has almost entirely kept to its fairly tight schedule for the past 8 years until covid happened, so I don't think this will be anywhere near as bad as XV in terms of development time. Also, 14 has one of the best stories in the FF series.

• Wow
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Deleted member 577889

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Sony will try to push them to release the game in November to counter Xbox's Starfield. Though, it seems like Sony is being very liberal about treating developers fairly and giving them enough time to finish the game. Look at the current drought, how much time it took them to release a patch for Returnal and how Horizon was delayed, having missed the Christmas sales.

If they let Square Enix miss the 2022 Fall release date, Xbox is going to get a huge advantage. The hardcore audience Sony has been trying to get since the PS5 launched, they (we?) love RPG. Of course, FF has enough of a following to secure good sales but this really makes me wonder...

The chip shortage is supposed to continue until 2023, and the political issue with Taiwan isn't making things better. Unless Sony makes the console available in stores, I don't see how will they get good sales. Even if they somehow managed to get a massive shipment of consoles and stock up every electronics store, scalpers are still going to play their game. The current situation has a chance to give Sony a huge boost of console sales, but the actual game sales might take a massive hit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i know this isn't the place but does/did anybody have the same issue as me?