Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I wonder if anyone knows, but there is a place in my country (Uzbekistan) called Samarkand. It was once in ruins, now rebuilt as a city. It is a very beautiful, and exotic city. The archietectures from FFX's Zanarkand Ruins seem to resemble that of Samarkand. The picture are not that good, but I've been there when I was 3, and I still remember being amazed by the pure beauty of it. It is said that both civilizations (Zanarkand and Samarkand) were the beacon of all civilizations, not sure what it means... Besides, the name sounds almost the same.
tongue.gif

samarkand-center.jpg

c_samarkand_02.jpg

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, that's pretty neat. It's not impossible that Zanarkand in some small way was inspired by this Samarkand area. Final Fantasy developers have been known to look all over the world for inspiration in their games. It's not far fetched to believe that they would also look to your country for said inspiration.
smile.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It is quite strange being the fact that my civilization is not known by too many people. I told many people that I was from Uzbekistan, they all reply with either an "uh, huh, sure and I come from lala land", or "Pakistan?"
wtf.gif

Oh and Samarkand seems to be one of the oldest inhabited places, adds a little mysterious feeling to it.
Here's a link, if anyone is interested.

cribby08

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thread brings back fond memories of FFX
smile.gif
......that was my favorite FF.

BTW Samarkand looks magnificant! The pictures makes me want to visit.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I admit I don't know much about your country, but it's fairly well known that with each new installment in the Final Fantasy series the developers looked to the various areas of the world for inspiration. It's obvious that they looked to Europe when designing Final Fantasy XII, for example. And I believe they looked to Asia mostly when it came to Final Fantasy X. Of course, they never just look to any one part of the world, instead they draw inspiration from all over.

EDIT: And after learning the location of your country, the name of that area, and that it's known as one of the oldest cities... not to mention how the ruins look similar to ancient Zanarkand; I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that they were indeed inspired by Samarkand.
happy.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I admit I don't know much about your country, but it's fairly well known that with each new installment in the Final Fantasy series the developers looked to the various areas of the world for inspiration. It's obvious that they looked to Europe when designing Final Fantasy XII, for example. And I believe they looked to Asia mostly when it came to Final Fantasy X. Of course, they never just look to any one part of the world, instead they draw inspiration from all over.
Asia was the primary source of inspiration for Final Fantasy X, as far as visuals go anyway. It would not surprise me however if Zanarkand was modeled after the city mentioned in the original post; it is fairly obscure and makes for an interesting concept.

And on the note of FFX, it's (imo) the best written and most enjoyable of the Final Fantasies. One last hurrah, before its decent into darkness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly