Final Fantasy XIV Pay Period Starts On January 6, 2012

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

After a year of free play and tweaking, Final Fantasy XIV will revert to a pay to play online game. Square Enix announced the cutoff date is January 5, 2012.

Beginning January 6, 2012 the PC game will cost $9.99 a month for a 30 day subscription. That’s a discounted $6.99 monthly service fee plus a $3.00 character fee. Square Enix’s original plan was to charge $9.99 for monthly subscription plus a $3.00 character fee for a total of $12.99 per month.

Users will also be able to purchase a 90 day subscription for $17.97 (or $5.99 per month) or a 180 day subscription for $29.94, which breaks down to $4.99 per month. Less than other MMORPGs, but Square Enix may change the subscription rate whenFinal Fantasy XIV version 2.0 comes out (and after its free trial version) in January 2013.

Source: Siliconera
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/05/final-fantasy-xiv-pay-period-starts-on-january-6-2012/

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This game is still even alive?

Holy hell is it bad. I don't think they're gonna like the playerbase drop when people actually have to pay monthly for it.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Users will also be able to purchase a 90 day subscription for $17.97 (or $5.99 per month) or a 180 day subscription for $29.94, which breaks down to $4.99 per month. Less than other MMORPGs, but Square Enix may change the subscription rate when Final Fantasy XIV version 2.0 comes out (and after its free trial version) in January 2013.

Aside for addressing the obvious issue that the game sucks, and people weren't that into it even when it was non-paid service (I even watched FFXIV account sales for a bit a few months ago when a Pay to Play transition was announced (but no prices or specifics) very little profit was made even when the accounts had thoroughly developed characters)..

...The bulk sub rates are quite reasonable. $4.99/mo puts it at the same price I paid for my Phantasy Star Universe sub before Sega pulled the plug on PC/PS2 PSU service.
Still not too interested in the initial investment given that the game sucks. If you could transition from free trial to subscriber without a full retail license, I might be susceptible XD

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel sorry for the person who will actually pay for this shit.
If I had a decent PC, I would.

It looks better than it did when it first started and people are liking it a lot more now. Stop judging?

There were a lot of things wrong with the game, but the biggest was the core combat gameplay.
I highly, highly doubt they changed it, or changed it enough to make it even passable.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the next day after the change senx discover they have a shitload more hdd space and the server is no longer lagging...than they realize everyone has deleted their accounts :rofl:

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devante from TheNakama on Valefor in FF11 here (try saying that 3 times fast).

All of us from Nakama were excited to rejoin for FF14. Once we got there, we realized the game was still in almost early alpha mode!
Now it's more like beta but still, to charge for people using it as beta.

Then again, it's more or less what FF11 was like when it first started out and FF11 turned out to be the best MMO I've ever played (I've tried almost all of them).

I understand also that they can't leave it free forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision +1