Final Fantasy VII Remake to headline PlayStation Plus games for March 2021

EvJs8PvWYAAZ4Oz.jpg

Following the State of Play that aired yesterday, it looks like we'll be seeing more Final Fantasy VII Remake, as the game will be one of the free titles offered for PlayStation Plus users. The PlayStation Netherlands page accidentally jumped the gun on the reveal, posting the full set of free games for March before deleting the post shortly thereafter. Of course, as this is the internet, plenty of people backed up the post and the image, which shows the four games on tap: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Farpoint, Maquette, and Remnant from the Ashes. There's also a disclaimer about the PlayStation 5 upgrade of FFVIIR; if you get the game for free through PS+ on PS4, you won't be eligible to get the free PS5 upgrade, which is limited to those who purchased a retail copy. All four games will be free from March 2nd until April 5th.

:arrow: Source

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it’s dumb but I doubt many people are gonna fork over for the ps5 version when the ps4 one is bundled with a sub

I certainly won’t. Also - with ps5 one not coming until late June and this one early March, that’s almost 4 months where ps4 is all there is

glad I sold my ps4 copy in the spring when the game was still hot , before BF price slashes
Setting the new bar

Even worse that Sony's too damn stupid to make more PS5s.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also a disclaimer about the PlayStation 5 upgrade of FFVIIR; if you get the game for free through PS+ on PS4, you won't be eligible to get the free PS5 upgrade, which is limited to those who purchased a retail copy.
Sad. But what if I am getting it through PS+ on PS5?
"Please note the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake available to PlayStation Plus members is not eligible for the PS5 digital version upgrade." nail on the coffin from https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...maquette-remnant-from-the-ashes-and-farpoint/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can see someone buying a PS5 digital edition because it's cheaper, or because scalpers bought up all the disc versions, lol.
How about the disc version looks ugly?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been meaning to get this game for a while now so this is neat.
But it's still bullshit how digital copies don't give you the PS5 upgrade later on.
Like come on Sony/Squeenix.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been meaning to get this game for a while now so this is neat.
But it's still bullshit how digital copies don't give you the PS5 upgrade later on.
Like come on Sony/Squeenix.
The only digital copies that are ineligible for the upgrade are the free ones claimed through PS+. If you bought and paid for the game you can upgrade it to the PS5 version for free.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Sony keeps impressing me with their PS Plus offerings, this one takes the cake. I had no intention of playing Final Fantasy VII remake, but how can I not give it a go now?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They sure know how to fuck over PS4 Pro owners, who expected this entire remake to stay on PS4.
I expect PS4 pro to be mainly a HW upgrade, the name already indicate this or it would have been called PS5. For now PS5 work mostly as a HW upgrade too with a better future :)

The game is not a real remake and trolls fans of the original so no thank you.
I played recent port of FF7 (not FF7R) and the magic (from the memory of the original) wasn't there, I expect FF7R to be vastly better than those port, whether it match or exceed the memory is going to be different for different people. Not reusing asset of the original is by definition a remake and I suppose FF7R is a real remake by that measure.

Odd choice not allowing for the PS5 upgrade. Guess they didn't want the physical disc owners rushing to trade it in all at once. Remnant is awesome, but I already beat it multiple times on PC. Very underwhelming month if you own these two already.
No free upgrade is not he same as no upgrade path.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No free upgrade is not he same as no upgrade path.
It straight-up says it's not eligible for upgrade on the Playstation blog, the word "free" isn't used.

"Please note the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake available to PlayStation Plus members is not eligible for the PS5 digital version upgrade."

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of Square Enix's biggest dick moves since All The Bravest. They tease us with story DLC we've been begging for, they make it exclusive to a next gen upgrade on a system difficult to find and afford, in the middle of a pandemic where anyone with any sense is holding off to save money for emergencies and thus couldn't justify the expense even if they had the cash and opportunity to buy a PS5, then they make the base game free to all last gen users and give them a big fat middle finger to spin on by saying it's some kind of special dick move version of the game that won't upgrade.

I've seen river beds less scummy than this.

I for one am getting sick of this shit in modern gaming. By all means have an optimized version for PS5. Not a bad idea. But to lock all the last gen users out of content they state outright is important to the story? DICK MOVE. And of course they'll get away with it because of all the moronic braggarts who own a PS5, likely because of some trust fund/unsupervised around daddy's credit card scenario, they all leap to the defense of their overpriced white brick and say the dumbest shit about how we should all get jobs and how they totally earn 700 bucks a day. People so young they still recall what breast milk tastes like, never worked a day in their lives, always wearing douchebag sunglasses in their profile pics and bragging about being 420 and gangsta. Y'know, dipshits. And Square Enix/Sony will use their BS as justification to keep doing shit like this.

Remnant looks okay though.
They probably calculated that by the time it is ready the bulk of the money is coming from PS5 owner and the income from PS4 owner can't justify the effort. After all despite your anger you are still a customer?

There is also the possibility the management it totally out of touch with reality and make mistake.

This is a good way to get free games with a subscription! But I do know of a better way...

.......pirating arrrrgh.
There are many free games on PC. Twitch and Epic are giving out free game very regularly. PS+ games are not free, you pay subscription fee unless you consider getting your money's worth just being able to play online. I subscribe for the games and almost never play online.

It straight-up says it's not eligible for upgrade on the Playstation blog, the word "free" isn't used.

"Please note the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake available to PlayStation Plus members is not eligible for the PS5 digital version upgrade."
Didn't they also said VI instead of VII before? Don't give the writer more credit that it deserves. Pay full price is also a upgrade path, unless you really believe they will ban your account from buying the game. I think it won't be full price but only time will tell.

Thinking from the perspective that many employees are involved there is the "I am not authorized to give this away", "boss didn't reply", "I will decide later" and "they didn't commit to give it away and I want to cover my ass with a disclaimer" possibility.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16