Final Fantasy VII remake thread

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm too fucking lazy to post tons of videos regarding this remake so I'm gonna link to the trailer and let everyone else discuss their wishlist for this remake. Yes I know it's half assed but I'm frankly surprised there isn't a thread about this yet.

Trailer:

It's coming to the PS4 first, then the PC as far as I've heard.

Personally, I hope they give us a dual audio option since Japanese games usually have shitty English VAs, and I hope it's still ATB-based. Maybe make it kind of like Chrono Trigger and have all battles be on the field and add new combination attacks, but keep the core ATB-based battle system intact. Keep the story the same but improve the translation, and don't add a bunch of nonsense from the side games; keep the original story intact, just with amazing visuals, new superbosses and improved sound/atmosphere.

Basically, don't fuck with it too much but polish the core game as much as possible. Thoughts?

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, well man...
At least post it as embedded media.

As for me, I hope they add a joke side-quest for saving Aerith like all those rumor-fantasy ultra complicated hoax methods that troll Walkthroughs and shady forums suggested back in the day. At least for the lulz.

Reactions: Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edited, but thanks. I put spoiler tags on it because having tons of videos directly linked in a thread can crash peoples' browsers, but yeah I rushed out the OP too quickly.

To durther the discussion, we all know FF7 is SE's sacred cow and that they're gonna throw EVERYTHING at this remake because they know if they fuck it up, it might as well be over for them. FF7 was most peoples' first FF game(6 was mine so I'm not quite as nostalgic as many) so this remake is the most important game SE has announced for a LOOOOOONG time.

However, Sakaguchi is gone and imo FF games haven't been very good lately, so there's a good chance they'll fuck it up. I hope I'm wrong and I'm pretty hyped, but I think it's important to temper your expectations and don't get your hopes up too much. This is the same company that made FFXIII and its shitty sequels, but they have to know how important it is for them to get this one right.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
People really misunderstand what a 'remake' and what a 'remaster' is. Remastered would be if they polished the graphics and left it as is. IT's a remake, they're remaking it all, battle system included. It's a given materia will be there as a staple of the core game but I actually welcome an FFXV style battle system. Turn based might make everyone orgasm with nostalgia, but it's not something you'd put into a modern AAA release.

Also, people are underestimating how much they'll change. I'll play it to see how they handle things like mini games (if they even include them). Can you see the modern SE designed cloud riding a chocobo or crossdressing? Can you see that emo doing any of that? I certainly can't. The old game he was sarcastic, snarky and full of one liners - the modern interpretation is nothing like that and he's become more depressing in recent years, in Kingdom hearts and other spin offs, like advent children, crisis core etc. I can see this game being gritty and more adult in nature - people need to stop fooling themselves that it will be 'the same game with shinier graphics'.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
People really misunderstand what a 'remake' and what a 'remaster' is. Remastered would be if they polished the graphics and left it as is. IT's a remake, they're remaking it all, battle system included. It's a given materia will be there as a staple of the core game but I actually welcome an FFXV style battle system. Turn based might make everyone orgasm with nostalgia, but it's not something you'd put into a modern AAA release.

Also, people are underestimating how much they'll change. I'll play it to see how they handle things like mini games (if they even include them). Can you see the modern SE designed cloud riding a chocobo or crossdressing? Can you see that emo doing any of that? I certainly can't. The old game he was sarcastic, snarky and full of one liners - the modern interpretation is nothing like that and he's become more depressing in recent years, in Kingdom hearts and other spin offs, like advent children, crisis core etc.
For the sake of Jenova, that scene with Don Corneo hitting on the cross-dressed Cloud must be there!
It is classic FF7, one of the most funny parts of the game.
Also:

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, people are underestimating how much they'll change. I'll play it to see how they handle things like mini games (if they even include them). Can you see the modern SE designed cloud riding a chocobo or crossdressing? Can you see that emo doing any of that? I certainly can't. The old game he was sarcastic, snarky and full of one liners - the modern interpretation is nothing like that and he's become more depressing in recent years, in Kingdom hearts and other spin offs, like advent children, crisis core etc.

That's what I'm worried about. It's more than possible to keep it turn-based/ATB based but still polish it up enough to keep modern gamers interested. Get rid of separate battle screens and make the battles Chrono Trigger like, add combo attacks, new spells/materia, but keep the turn-based core. They don't need to completely change the game because that would alienate a LOT of old-school fans, and I think SE knows this is their last chance to get their fanbase back after the FFXIII trilogy.

It's still FF7, so keep Cloud the way he was in the original but completely retranslate it to make it more accurate to the original script, and naturally add voice acting. I really fucking want dual audio; this is important to me although not essential.

EDIT: Yeah, the crossdressing part was hilarious and it'll be even funnier with modern graphics. I agree that it must be there, and make it even sillier. Keep the nut chopping references there as well. Don't censor the game at all.

Also I know I'm a broken record on this subject but no day 1 DLC bullshit or microtransactions! If SE pulls that kinda shit I'll have to download a "backup copy" of the PC version. I want this remake badly but I need to stick to my guns on that subject as well.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I'm worried about. It's more than possible to keep it turn-based/ATB based but still polish it up enough to keep modern gamers interested. Get rid of separate battle screens and make the battles Chrono Trigger like, add combo attacks, new spells/materia, but keep the turn-based core. They don't need to completely change the game because that would alienate a LOT of old-school fans, and I think SE knows this is their last chance to get their fanbase back after the FFXIII trilogy.

It's still FF7, so keep Cloud the way he was in the original but completely retranslate it to make it more accurate to the original script, and naturally add voice acting. I really fucking want dual audio; this is important to me although not essential.

EDIT: Yeah, the crossdressing part was hilarious and it'll be even funnier with modern graphics. I agree that it must be there, and make it even sillier. Keep the nut chopping references there as well; don't censor it at all.

I just can't see it. Remember that most of SE is a different company from when they were making PS1 games, they don't seem to remember how to make games like that anymore. I can't see them making him the same as the original, not entirely anyway. Sure, he had a spiral in the middle of the game but for the most part he was a misanthropic yet snarky asshole. The modern interpretations of him are much more depressing, gloomy. I can see that he's probably going to crossdress, but they really need a miracle to pull it off in a way that fans will like.

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just can't see it. Remember that most of SE is a different company from when they were making PS1 games, they don't seem to remember how to make games like that anymore. I can't see them making him the same as the original, not entirely anyway. Sure, he had a spiral in the middle of the game but for the most part he was a misanthropic yet snarky asshole. The modern interpretations of him are much more depressing, gloomy. I can see that he's probably going to crossdress, but they really need a miracle to pull it off in a way that fans will like.

The other interpretations are from different games, and while I agree that they may fuck this up big time, they also have to know that if they do change too much, there will me MASSIVE outrage. FFVII is SE's sacred cow and the fact that they're remaking is imo a sign of desperation to get back on track and win their fans back. SE certainly is a different company and Sakaguchi and much f the original team's absence is a huge blow, but if this remake sucks, it's all over.

It's a remake, sure, but I'd like to hope SE knows better than to completely fag up Cloud's personality and generally fuck with the original story too much. I am skeptical that modern SE can do the original justice though so I agree with your statements.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also I know I'm a broken record on this subject but no day 1 DLC bullshit or microtransactions! If SE pulls that kinda shit I'll have to download a "backup copy" of the PC version. I want this remake badly but I need to stick to my guns on that subject as well.
Actually, I would join the dark side and say that this "Aerith revival joke side quest" I suggested would be perfect for a DLC.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
The other interpretations are from different games, and while I agree that they may fuck this up big time, they also have to know that if they do change too much, there will me MASSIVE outrage. FFVII is SE's sacred cow and the fact that they're remaking is imo a sign of desperation to get back on track and win their fans back. SE certainly is a different company and Sakaguchi and much f the original team's absence is a huge blow, but if this remake sucks, it's all over.

The problem here is not the gameplay. Lets be honest, the gameplay is as mediocre as any turn based J-RPG from the last 25 years. It's the damn same. PEople don't know what they want because that isn't what they're keeping so sacred. It's the image of growing up with that particular game, the characters and storyline. People have this sacred image of the game, that to be honest probably can't be bested.

People love the motorcycle scene, chocobo racing, massive boss battles like jenova, crossdressing. The battle system isn't wehat people love, it's the same damn system as all of them, and the materia system is so shallow that every character becomes exactly the same. Can you see the current SE doing the minigames in a way that fans will like? I certainly can't.

Last edited by G0R3Z,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I actually think it would be better if the game is not the same kind of ATB as before.
I would prefer a new idea that gives the same level of tactical planning but doesn't feel as outdated.
I can't exactly point out how the system should be but my keywords would be "tactical like ATB" and "modern".
The problem with most current battle systems is that you don't have good control on all your characters.
I think this game could be a turning point for Square(fuck enix)soft, if done well it could return trust to fans.

PS: Yes, I always hated enix.

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem here is not the gameplay. Lets be honest, the gameplay is as mediocre as any turn based J-RPG from the last 25 years. It's the damn same. PEople don't know what they want because that isn't what they're keeping so sacred. It's the image of growing up with that particular game, the characters and storyline. People have this sacred image of the game, that to be honest probably can't be bested.

The battle system is solid and easy to understand, but I agree it's not as good as, say, CT. That's why I'm suggesting a CT-style battle system where you can see enemies on screen(no random battles), fight them on the field without having to load a separate screen, and add tons of new spells/materia as well as combination attacks like Chrono Trigger. It would still be ATB but it would be modified and polished. I disagree though; if SE makes it an action game, people who loved this game in '97 will be PISSED. Sure there's plenty of nostalgia about growing up with it, but people don't want a completely different game, they, for the most part, want FF7 remade for modern consoles, which means not fucking with the formula too much.

Polishing it up is one thing but completely changing everything would do nothing but piss people off. FFVI was my first FF and I played IV after, so while I love VII, I don't have the type of nostalgia for it that some people do. However, I think SE should keep as much of the original intact as possible but polish it up. A CT style battle system would be awesome, and it wouldn't alienate older fans like me.

sark: Why the Enix hate? The DQ games, especially V and VIII are really fucking good imo.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
The battle system is solid and easy to understand, but I agree it's not as good as, say, CT. That's why I'm suggesting a CT-style battle system where you can see enemies on screen(no random battles), fight them on the field without hacing to load a separate screen, and add tons of new spells/materia as well as combination attacks like Chrono Trigger. It would still be ATB but it would be modified and polished. I disagree though; if SE makes it an action game, people who loved this game in '97 will be PISSED. Sure there's plenty of nostalgia about growing up with it, but people don't want a completely different game, they, for the most part, want FF7 remade for modern consoles, which means not fucking with the formula too much.

Polishing it up is one thing but completely changing everything would do nothing but piss people off. FFVI was my first FF and I layed IV after, so while I love VII, I don;t worship it like some fans do. However, I think SE should keep as much of the original intact as possible but polish it up. A CT style battle system would be awesome, and it wouldn't alienate older fans like me.

They going to alienate people just by using a modern style. People don't know what they want because they don't want a remake. They want a remaster with voice acting and that is something they're not going to bloody get.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sark: Why the Enix hate? The DQ games, especially V and VIII are really fucking good imo.
Back in the day I felt like there was a rivalry between Enix and Squaresoft, and I totally sided with the Squaresoft side.
I felt Squaresoft games had in general way more detailed and well executed story lines and characters.
And then, after the merger, the quality of Square games had only go down in my own eyes. So... nope, no likes for Enix.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Back in the day I felt like there was a rivalry between Enix and Squaresoft, and I totally sided with the Squaresoft side.
I felt Squaresoft games had in general way more detailed and well executed story lines and characters.
And then, after the merger, the quality of Square games had only go down in my own eyes. So... nope, no likes for Enix.

Completely agree, their quality have been spiraling downhill for years, ever since the merger. And the problem isn't just the company, it's partly the fans who buy their games. They seem utterly convinced that the games are masterpieces. I know people who like FFXIII and I instantly lose respect for them as a gamer. Those games were junk RPGs not fit to be in any best of list in any article, anywhere. Nowadays their games are more looks than substance. And a pretty, dolled up FFVII isn't going to help them because that isn't good enough.

I don't like the look of a remake, because people don't want that. They want a 'from the ground up' remaster. They want the same damn game but everything brought into the modern age. DO You know how much work that is?! They can't use 18 year old assets, they have to literally make the game from scratch. It won't be the same soundtrack, gameplay or surroundings. FFVII was such a simple looking game, even for the time it was made that people wouldn't know what to think of a modern midgar.

It'd be a massive undertaking and I think SE are biting off more than they can chew, just so they can spit it in their fans mouths. And you know what? Die hard fans will scoff it down because it's a remake. Real gamers who see games for what they are technically will see right through it.

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
G0R3Z: I'm kind of in the camp that wants a remaster with voice acting but I'd love to see the CT-style battle system I suggested, new spells, new bosses, new items & a better translation. Naturally they can't please everyone and people are going to be nitpicky assholes but SE hasn't exactly been well regarded lately and fucking with FF7's original formula too much would be the final nail in the coffin for them in my opinion. Polish it, make the visuals amazing, improve the translation and add dual audio voice acting but make it recognizable as FF7. I am worried SE's gonna botch this big time though, and whatever they change, as long as it's a fun, highly polished game I'm cool with whatever.

I was always more of a Squaresoft guy too but I respcted Enix for their DQ games. Terranigma was a masterpiece as well although I know Enix just published it and Quintet did most if not all of the work. I totally agree that the merger damaged Square, but I'm not sure if it's fair to blame Enix. Sakaguchi and many other talented people leaving the company is what I think hurt SE the most, but I don't know many of the details. It's hard for me to believe modern SE has the talent or passion to do the original FFVII justice. I hope this remake turns out to be amazing, because remaking FF7 was/is SE's trump card, so they're desperate to get back on track/get their good reputation back. This is a massive gamble, and if this turns out to be a great remake, it'll make SE even more money than the original.

Prove me wrong, SE. Make this remake fucking awesome.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
G0R3Z: I'm kind of in the camp that wants a remaster with voice acting but I'd love to see the CT-style battle system I suggested, new spells, new bosses, new items & a better translation. Naturally they can't please everyone and people are going to be nitpicky assholes but SE hasn't exactly been well regarded lately and fucking with FF7's original formula too much would be the final nail in the coffin for them in my opinion. Polish it, make the visuals amazing, improve the translation and add dual audio voice acting but make it recognizable as FF7. I am worried SE's gonna botch this big time though, and whatever they change, as long as it's a fun, highly polished game I'm cool with whatever.

That's the problem - when was the last time SE had an RPG that was highly polished?

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the problem - when was the last time SE had an RPG that was highly polished?

Can't argue with you there man, which is why I'm worried that they're incapable of doing the original justice. I know the original's battle system is archaic by today's standards but it's still very fun/playable for me, but getting rid of random battles is a much needed change imo because there's no excuse for them to exist with the hardware they have available. I'm concerned that they're gonna spend way too much time on the graphics and ignore everything else.

edit:

I need to see just one battle before I can have any feelings about this remake.

Agreed, and excellent point.

I hope they make the game harder, but with the direction modern gaming is headed I doubt they'll do that, and they may even make it easier. The final boss should be on the same level as, say, Zeromous. Safer(is it supposed to be Seraph?) Sephiroth is WAY too easy much like Kefka and is really just a ripoff of Kefka with a really long, cool looking supermove that blows up the solar system.

If SE changes a lot of stuff, I won't mind unless it's for the worse like adding day 1 DLC bullshit, making it easier, fucking with the story/characters too much(especially censorship) or rushing it out without ironing out bugs and such. This remake means a lot to a lot of people so it needs to be made with the utmost care and respect.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People really misunderstand what a 'remake' and what a 'remaster' is. Remastered would be if they polished the graphics and left it as is. IT's a remake, they're remaking it all, battle system included.
Untrue. We're not going to be seeing the exact same character models as we've always seen are we, I suspect we'll get a complete graphical replacement, which is enough to use the word 'remake' in itself. Technically they only need to change the graphics and still call it a remake: they could still leave the battle system entirely the same as it was. ;) I'm not saying we'll see anything remaining as is of course, guess we'll just have to see... I care not about this game yet anyway, don't think we're gonna see it until Holiday 2016 at the very earliest...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: