Final Fantasy VII Battles Are Action-Based, Confirms Director Tetsuya Nomura

Capture.JPG

In the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu, Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura gave additional details about the highly anticipated remake:

Because there was an imperfection in the interpretation of an interview we did at the site [of MAGIC 2017], I will explain here.

“Battles are not command-based, they’re action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it’s seamless, I showed that there can be actions in response to various scenes.

“The Guard Scorpion battle has map destruction and a great number of attacks that weren’t in the original, so it has become a significantly flashy battle. If you look closely, I think that you can see that there are a number of missiles are coming down.”

So what do you think of this decision for the battle system?

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally I'm gonna be passing on this just like I passed on the last 5 Final Fantasies. They don't feel like Final Fantasy to me anymore. The tone has gone all dark and has no self awareness to it, the art styles have gone all soulless like the majority of the AAA industry and honestly the direction that SE is taking their series just isn't for me. I grew up on turn based battles and feel like in a lot of cases they open up many more options for strategy than an action based system would. Sure there's good action games but when I think FF I think turn based combat. So I'll be sticking with replaying the old games and picking up anything that comes out that picks up the look/feel/tone of those early games (Bravely Default/Second, Legend of Legacy, Dragon Fantasy, etc.). I'm glad there's people excited for the remake but I'm personally not a fan of what they're trying to do with it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was being facetious, but I'm afraid of them breaking it up too much.
To play the devil's advocate, we don't know the scale at which they're making the remake. We've already seen the streets of Midgar in the gameplay trailer, which are full-scale and can't be traversed in 2 seconds like in the original. If they include every area of the original into the remake (and they better) that would translate to a huge undertaking.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to buy a ps4 just fir this game. Now, buying a switch instead. Screw the decision to make this amazing game action based.
Considering there's no Switch-exclusive turn-based games out there, you might as well still get the PS4 for Persona 5 and FFVII:R when your anger dies down.

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to buy a ps4 just fir this game. Now, buying a switch instead. Screw the decision to make this amazing game action based.
In fairness if you wanted to get a system just for turn based jrpgs I would hold off on the switch for a couple of years and pick up a 3ds for now if you don't already have one. There's quite a few really solid turn based games on it in all kinds of different sub genres. Give the switch some time to build a bit of a library of games first.

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not because of the turn based games at all. It's because I didn't care about any other game for the PS4 other than the FFVII remake. But now that they have made the mistake of not making it turn based, I have no desire to spend money on it. So I will spend it on something else I know I will enjoy. The Switch has Breath of the Wild and I am Setsuna and I love both of these games. Plus it will have Mario Odyssey and plenty of other games I know I will enjoy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't care about any other game for the PS4 other than the FFVII remake. But now that they have made the mistake of not making it turn based,

Though it is not a trivial decision, and ignoring the ATB stuff I mentioned earlier, don't we have to wait to see it in action at least before calling mistake?

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though it is not a trivial decision, and ignoring the ATB stuff I mentioned earlier, don't we have to wait to see it in action at least before calling mistake?

Obviously, this is my opinion. I cannot stand the fact that Square Enix switched to this stupid action based system. Turned based is the only way to go for me.

Reactions: player594

Shining Greninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. It's like playing Chess. SE should actually do a re-do of classic chess but with a action system.
You fanboys are fucking annoying, there's already an enhanced port on the PS4 with the time based system, if you like it so much then buy that and quit complaining. Action based is far more fun then the stupid turn based system and that retarded time limit

EDIT
Not gonna lie that action based chess game sounds pretty fun

Last edited by Shining Greninja,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chess boxing is a thing.
Also time based chess is a thing. It is called blitz chess, fast chess and a few others with slightly different rules.

Also it apparently never made it stateside owing to some trademark thing but have a look at battle vs chess if you did want a computer game with all sorts of rule tweaks and variations.

Turn based vs action is a fundamental change, however it is not like FF7 was ever a game that benefited from it (do normal attack, heal, use magic enemy is weak against, maybe steal, maybe do summon if you are going to town and can spare the mana. If you are thinking 10 moves ahead then that is about 7 or 8 too many for a boss battle. If there is a pause button within battle then I guess I feel sorry if you are disabled and need the menu time, otherwise peh I will wait to see how it plays out. It could still be bad but it is something I will have to wait and see about.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn based vs action is a fundamental change, however it is not like FF7 was ever a game that benefited from it (do normal attack, heal, use magic enemy is weak against, maybe steal, maybe do summon if you are going to town and can spare the mana. If you are thinking 10 moves ahead then that is about 7 or 8 too many for a boss battle.
Yeah... people seem to forget the fact that the majority of FFVII could be easily done with just spamming attack, though the same could be said for many Final Fantasy RPG games. And, to be frank, FFVII isn't even a true turn-based game. I imagine most people used ATB at which point it's no different from any other game that requires you to have some kind of cooldown between attacks (ATB "turns"). If you went to the bathroom during a fight and forgot to pause then the enemy would have attacked you several times without you doing anything, which doesn't sound very turn-based to me (unless we're talking about Digimon Cyber Sleuth on Hard in which case it's the exact same thing).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On a somewhat related note if people find the idea of mixing up battle styles to be intriguing then I should say go have a look at a game called Eternal Sonata. The PS3 version is held to be superior but the 360 plays just fine.

You unlock more and more real time elements as the game goes on (though you can always select what you like). It changes how battles play out quite a bit -- it is area based, and enemies get bonuses or negatives in the arena for being in places so when you change from having the ability to decide the perfect route and perfect attack to having to take what you can and then make the timing on the attack it gets interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?