Final Fantasy VII Battles Are Action-Based, Confirms Director Tetsuya Nomura

Capture.JPG

In the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu, Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura gave additional details about the highly anticipated remake:

Because there was an imperfection in the interpretation of an interview we did at the site [of MAGIC 2017], I will explain here.

“Battles are not command-based, they’re action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it’s seamless, I showed that there can be actions in response to various scenes.

“The Guard Scorpion battle has map destruction and a great number of attacks that weren’t in the original, so it has become a significantly flashy battle. If you look closely, I think that you can see that there are a number of missiles are coming down.”

So what do you think of this decision for the battle system?

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,
D

Deleted-379826

Never played the original but I have played FFXV. FFXV's battle system is a lot of fun and it's good. I don't see the problem, they're just changing the system, if done right this remake can be better than the original.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The RPG purist in me hates this and wants the original turn base system. But then I remember how slow and clunky old FFs battles were and I welcome some changes.... but still... :unsure:

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The RPG purist in me hates this and wants the original turn base system. But then I remember how slow and clunky old FFs battles were and I welcome some changes.... but still... :unsure:
I think it's because of the shift towards Action RPGs for the Final Fantasy franchise. I think it fits VII's theme and mood a bit better than the original.

If you want turn based just play the original. You can get it on most modern systems anyways.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean a system already designed that would use the same assets as the current game. Obviously your degree is in hyperbole and not game design.
You can't just say "Oh, the art and animation are already done, so it'd be a breeze to add in a totally different gameplay style." It being an action game now means that things like obstacles (the cover mentioned in the quote), distance, and that sort of thing would all have to be calculated into the turns. I can't see them making an action game that ends up also being turn-based without it then turning into a tactical RPG, which is another huge change. "Okay, Cloud is 10 units away from the enemy, but his super long sword has a range of 3 units. That means he can either run up to the enemy without being able to attack or move forward slightly to cover." I can't imagine that sort of system would be simple to make. Then again, they announced this years ago and said "the game's closer to release than you think" so maybe if they end up releasing it years from now it'll be possible.

Also... why do people insist on saying that HD graphics are not conducive to turn-based games? Maybe not in the overworld, but FF7 had one of the best-looking (if not the best-looking) graphics during battles at the time. Why would the graphics being that much better affect your ability to enjoy the game if it were turn-based? I've preordered Persona 5 for the PS4, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to "be appalled and throw up" when I can make out the character's details during combat.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just say "Oh, the art and animation are already done, so it'd be a breeze to add in a totally different gameplay style." It being an action game now means that things like obstacles (the cover mentioned in the quote), distance, and that sort of thing would all have to be calculated into the turns. I can't see them making an action game that ends up also being turn-based without it then turning into a tactical RPG, which is another huge change. "Okay, Cloud is 10 units away from the enemy, but his super long sword has a range of 3 units. That means he can either run up to the enemy without being able to attack or move forward slightly to cover." I can't imagine that sort of system would be simple to make. Then again, they announced this years ago and said "the game's closer to release than you think" so maybe if they end up releasing it years from now it'll be possible.

I did just say that. It would be a breeze to simply paste and copy a turn based mode when they already have all the art assets. Turn based combat isn't any more complex than the card mini games or crafting they implement routinely. If it gets a PC release I bet they mod it to do precisely what I said, they will probably use the assets and port them in to the old engine.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did just say that. It would be a breeze to simply paste and copy a turn based mode when they already have all the art assets. Turn based combat isn't any more complex than the card mini games or crafting they implement routinely. If it gets a PC release I bet they mod it to do precisely what I said, they will probably use the assets and port them in to the old engine.
The question isn't whether or not turn-based combat is complex. The question is how do they add turn-based combat to a system already in place and make sure everything one can do the other can? Again, there is no movement in the original FF7. The only semblance of "distance" is the rare occasion of a boss battle where the boss is flying and/or far away and melee characters cannot attack them, but that's probably as simple as a flag on each enemy stating whether or not they're in melee range. You'd have to pretty much build an entirely new turn-based combat system to incorporate all the things that action games allow. There is absolutely no way they can just "paste and copy" the original combat system.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's not news to you might be news for others. And it appears to be the case here, considering the comments (other than yours). Nevertheless, a little reminder does no harm.

Did you know Obama became president in 2009?
Can I get front page plz?

What might not be news to you is news to others. My news is relevant.

Reactions: Roxe__

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only company that really seems to get turn-based right anymore is Atlus. SE is very wise to ditch it for a more modern system.
So turn-based is not actually archaic if at least one company does it right is it? Besides there's banner saga 2 or the very FFT1 being superior to pretty much every main turn based final fantasy title's battle mechanics. Also, ditching it because you can't do it well? Well, when you bring up FFXV's action system, I'll show you DMC3's and Bayonetta's combat to tell you it's also terrible in comparison. Perhaps they could work on improving it instead of just ditching entire subgenres for no real reason.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really since we already knew the combat would be action based as stated months ago near the games announcement.
Not sure what misconception there would be when he just confirmed what was confirmed months ago. There was already a huge uproar and petition to change it from action to the traditional system.

I never said devs don't use it, just their games are worse for it. Dragon quest is pretty damn boring. But it does have a large following from back when it was relevant. Pretty much why I never touch it. Atlus is the only one currently doing turn based right. Granted Bravely Default/Second are also pretty solid but only because they happened upon a pretty interesting and unique mechanic that hadn't been done before. If you removed it it was a very bog standard turn based RPG and would've failed.
While FF7 was one of the best final fantasys because of materia, it still was pretty bog standard and boring as hell by todays standards. We already have the original to play for the boring turn based system. Might as well try something new and modern in the remake.

I can't tell if this is a troll or just an opinion you are convinced is factually true? Never understood why a far more limited action combat was somehow the future...but if you like it and prefer thats fine, but saying games are worse off for using it/the gameplay style is dead is ignorant at best. Not only is DQ still huge but series like Persona (or anything SMT) have only gotten more popular....hell pokemon just had one of its most successful games ever last year. SE to this day is still using it constantly and only really went action for KH and 15. Every mobile game they have (as much as i dislike mobile stuff) handheld series are still doing very well and they dont seem to be stopping. Just look at their new switch RPG and the fact they made the "Tokyo RPG factory" team that seems to be purely focused on turn based RPGs.

The gameplay type is far from dead. Both types can exist and constantly mix elements from one another. Most people can easily tell SE is just trying to get the most from their FF15 engine and assets (after how much they spent it should shock no one) so it really will feel like a variation of FF15 with a 7 skin. I might try the game but if its as shallow as ff15s combat was then i will pass on it and just be happy the original version exists on dozens of platforms at this point and can be played easily.

....now can we get a proper FF Tactics please?

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I guess they don't care if they sell more PS4s. No chance this is worth buying a console for now, might as well just wait for the PC release like FF15.
Well have fun waiting till 2018 for a FFXV PC release lol. Probably 2019-2020 for a VII Remake release.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's worth it the wait, might as well have 60+ FPS and higher resolutions given the gameplay is just so-so.
I guess that's your opinion then. Personally I think gameplay is top notch when it comes to action RPGs IMO. When the PC edition comes out I'll probably just pirate it because I did buy the Ultimate Collectors Edition and feel a little bit entitled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE