'Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children' movie 4K HDR remaster releasing this June

ff7 advent children 4k.jpg

Not only games but also movies get remasters these days. Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that the 2005 Final Fantasy VII CGI spinoff movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, will be re-released this June 8th as a 4K HDR remaster version. To celebrate the announcement the first 10 minutes of the movie was made available on YouTube (although only at 1080p):

Continuing the storyline based on the hit Playstation® game Final Fantasy VII, two years have passed since the ruins of Midgar stand as a testament to the sacrifices made in order to bring peace. However, the world will soon face a new menace. A mysterious illness is spreading fast. Old enemies are astir. And Cloud, who walked away from the life of a hero to live in solitude, must step forward yet again...

This 4K remaster will apparently include the extra 25 minutes of footage and revised scenes from the 2009 re-release Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete. The 4K remaster is already available to pre-order on Amazon for $30.99.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when the first bluray release came out, the original scenes that were on DVD had to be upscaled which showed some noticeable blurriness in the image quality for most of the movie. The extra 25 minutes of extended and revised scenes were obviously rendered at 1080p so they looked clear and crisp compared to most of the movie.

Now that they're releasing this in 4K at this day and age, I'm wondering if they just nabbed the original Bluray release from 2009 and just took every frame and used AI upscaling. I heavily doubt they re-rendered the whole movie or kept the original assets to do so.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will we be getting a 4k rerender/remaster of spirits within any time soon?

Anyway might give it a look. Only time I saw the original was a crazily compressed xvid on an old 4:3 screen.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Having looked at the 10 minute trailer I'm pretty sure they re-rendered almost all of the scenes, the industry leader in ai upscaling (topaz) can do a great job at upscaling videos but it woul probably miss many details up close which can be seen in the trailer... cant wait for this to come out and see if I was correct :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol