final fantasy tactics a2 problem

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by spkeyhdgehog, Jun 30, 2008.

Jun 30, 2008
  1. spkeyhdgehog
    OP

Newcomer spkeyhdgehog Newbie

United States
    didn't think i'd be needing help this soon, but here goes (btw, if i've posted this in the wrong forum, sorry. seemed to be the most appropriate place to ask)
    i got my hands on an r4 a little while ago (friend gave it to me and I wasn't gonna say no) and things were all good for a while, though I noticed whenever there were voice overs in Megaman ZX Advent, the video would lag significantly and Final Fantasy IV liked to freeze on me. I just figured I'd buy those games and move on. Then i tried out final fantasy tactics a2...no problems until i try to enter the auction house for the first time. Screen fades to black....and stays black. I only bring it up because i don't think i've ever come across anyone else with the issues i've got on my hands. the r4 is currently up to date with the 1.18 kernel and i'm using a sandisk 2gb microsd. so, are there any fixes i can try? or do I owe my friend a punch in the eye for pawning off a dysfunctional r4 (and making me replay a couple hours...gotta remember to save more often)

thanks. and again, if I've posted in the wrong forum, my apologies.

2. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You could try a different microsd card, sandisk cards are sometimes known for bad speeds and crashes.

If possible, try to get you hands on a Japanese kingston card and try it through that.

This way, we can rule out a bad R4.

3. spkeyhdgehog
    OP

United States
    little update: i worked around the freezing by going to the camoa auction house instead of the grazston auction house. game still freezes if i try entering the grazston one though. i'll try to get my hands on a kingston microsd and update again. quick question though, is it still generally held that the 1gb is better than the 2gb? thanks for the help.

4. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    i have an R4(1.18) and a kingston card(2gb)

Just did the 2 auction houses for the first time
    and the game did not crash

so it may be the memory card

5. sliverofshadows4

Newcomer sliverofshadows4 Member

Canada
    For me, I use a Norcent 2GB SD card. There's nothing wrong on my end, though.

6. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    sandisk 2GB micro.

No problems whatsoever, whever full or not. not that that has anything to do with it lol

try fragmenting the card or something

7. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I haven't had a problem with it.

8. spkeyhdgehog
    OP

United States
    ok, so my japanese kingston 1gb microsd card came in. put all the necessary files on it and loaded up tactics a2 again to try the grazston auction house....no joy. screen fades to black, music fades out....and stays that way. think the rom's the problem?

9. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    most likely yes, try downloading it from another source (you're not allowed to ask where from on this forum btw)

10. spkeyhdgehog
    OP

United States
    ok, tried out a dump from a different website....and still no go. unless it's just the same file but from a different site, i'm out of ideas. any suggestions?

11. ravagekd

Newcomer ravagekd Member

United States
    you playing the (U) release or the (E) release? I read that the saves are compatible, so if you have the (E) dump you could try a (U) dump. At least you'd know for sure that it's actually a different rom.

wish i could offer more advice, but I don't have the problem myself....

12. spkeyhdgehog
    OP

United States
    grr...tried everything i could think of replacing rom dumps and the microsd but all the problems i mentioned still persist. i don't think i've noticed any other single person having this many problems so i'm thinking the r4 itself might be the problem. any suggestions for a replacement?

13. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Your R4 is the problem, you sure you got the real R4? Fake R4s has low quality, these kind of thing can happen.

Well, you might not owe your friend a punch in the eye, he might not know it's a fake or he gave it to you because he knew it's a fake, if so, you owe him a kick in the balls [​IMG]

I have an R4, v1.18 and no game has escaped my clutches (no errors, thankfully [​IMG]), including FFTA2