Final Fantasy I & II : Dawn of Soul - Duplication Glitch

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by FranckKnight, May 1, 2015.

1. FranckKnight
    OP

FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2006
    Canada
    Montreal
    Gotta love finding some glitches that appear to be undocumented over 10 years after the original release.

I have written the FFI PSP Equipment Glitch Guide back in 2008, mostly after other people found the glitch, I simply went around and documented all potential results.

The PSP glitch is more broken as it allows to create, due to the way it handles items : Weapons and Armors are given the same numbers, but in two different lists. So using the glitch, if #4 in armors is Leather hat, and #4 in weapons is Judgment Staff, you can get Judgment Staves as soon as you get a Leather Hat (as early as Chaos Temple). It also allows to equip the weapons and armors to the wrong classes (Black Mage with Excalibur) and even wrong equipment slots (Knight Armors on Head, Body and Accessory all at once).

We had a few discussions on the possibility of the glitch existing on the GBA version, since the PSP game was apparently based off the GBA version of the game (same extra dungeon and features). I had tested it, and found that the glitch did exist, but only resulted in a graphical glitch. Using the same glitch was showing the wrong weapon list, but equipping anything on the list still went to the correct character.

Until, 2 days ago that is.

I was bored and decided to plug in my old copy and check the glitch again, call it curiosity. 7 years later after writing the PSP guide. I fiddle with it, equipping Black Wizard with a Judgment Staff that I had in my inventory, while the icon&stats was showing Knight, like I had tested long ago. Black Wizard was getting the staff, nothing special there. I tried armors too, same deal.

I was going to turn off the game, curiosity sated, when I suddenly noticed that I had *2* Judgment staves in my inventory. But that's impossible, there's only one in the game, a boss drop from the new dungeons, a one time reward like Sage Staff and Ultima Weapon.

I repeat the glitch, 3, 4 Judgment Staves. The glitch does work, but a different end result. It seems the glitch does not remove the item from the inventory when equipping it, so you end up with duplicates : the equipped one and the original one in your inventory.

Some part of me is surprised that the glitch was unknown until now, considering how much data digging and code diving some people do. I tried to search for it, even the FFWiki page had no mention of it (if you look now, I added it yesterday), yet the original PSP glitch is there.
    So I guess I just wanted to share the finding. Most of the forums dealing with these old games are dead, I guess maybe this one will still give a damn about findings like these :)

BlackWizzard17, Margen67 and VinsCool like this.
  2. RoryExtraLife

RoryExtraLife Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2015
    Hey Franck, signed up so I could comment on this!

As someone looking into speedrunning the GBA version of FF1, this glitch interests me. If I can duplicate equipment (say, Mythril Sword) then it means that gil won't be an issue for the run, something that I'm trying to figure out.

However, I can't seem to get the glitch to work. I've tried on emulator and console, also tried both English and Japanese versions too but cannot seem to get it to work.

Is there any reason you can think of that would mean it wouldn't work? Maybe I'm not performing it properly? I get the graphical glitch, but not the duplication, sadly!

Alternatively, a video would make it a lot easier for me to figure out how it works, and how I can tell when it has worked!

3. FranckKnight
    OP

Mar 9, 2006
    Canada
    Montreal
    I'm using the actual cartridge on the actual GBA, so unless there was a revision of the game, I don't see.

Let me use an emulator and record it.

4. FranckKnight
    OP

Mar 9, 2006
    Canada
    Montreal
    Sigh... Apparently this is a bust. I already had 4 Judgment staves in my inventory so I tricked myself with this. How the hell do I even have 4 Judgment Staves to begin with? Guess this trick doesn't work at all. Talk about a let down.