Final Fantasy Gaiden (DS) website open and screens

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Jul 6, 2009.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    So we knew what this game was a few days ago thanks to a magazine leak. Now the website for Final Fantasy Gaiden- 4 Warriors of Light. So, I give you the goods-

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/hikarino4sensi/

[​IMG]

Gotta love that artwork and how it paints itself! [​IMG]

And the new clean non-scan quality screens-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT- a few more poor quality scans that are new:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1225600_1124.html

I'm impressed by the style. Especially the first screen. Very unique, yet similar to 7th Dragon for DS. Has an interesting and eye catching style of cel-shading. Also, some technical details for those of you who have missed out so far-

First the developer details-
    Producer: Tomoya Asano
    Character design and art director: Akihiko Yoshida
    Sound director: Tomohiro Kamiya
    Developer: Matrix
    Director: Takashi Tokita

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367297

And the earlier details we got from an IGN impression-

- Title is Hikari no Yon Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden, or Four Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden
    - Nintendo DS RPG in which players take control of a 14-year-old boy tasked with saving a princess
    - The game kicks off on your birthday as you're summoned by a King whose daughter has been kidnapped by a witch.
    - Standard menu-driven turn based RPG
    - No MP, but ability points that even normal attacks consume. "Store/build" button to build back up AP.
    - Equipment changes to your characters result in changes to physical appearance.
    - Final Fantasy Gaiden hits Japan this Fall.
    - Artwork designed by Akihiko Yoshida (FF Tactics and FF12)
    - No relation to the Mana games (which was referred to as FF Gaiden when first released)

Well, now we know the basics. I'd like some video footage to see those unique graphics in action! [​IMG]

2. itsRANDELL

Member itsRANDELL GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nice, I noticed in the Spec section of the website, it mentions something about 1 - 4 players?

3. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    it reminds me a bit of zelde

idk why

anyway nice topic [​IMG]

4. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Pretty neat.

And the art style looks like some kind of nicely done painting.

5. El Blacksheep

Member El Blacksheep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what the hell is wrong with today's game makers? i'm tired of all these "pre-pubescant teen fights to overcome acne and save the world before his balls drop" games... whatever happened to these games featuring adults as the protagonists?

6. faith696

Newcomer faith696 Newbie

Indonesia
    Yes, u're right. So, we can do wireless play with our friend?

7. granville
    OP

United States
    You need to chill out instead of judging a game you've not played. Good grief. Judging a game before it comes out = lame. Seriously, all of the NES Final Fantasy games had teen heroes too. This game looks to bring back some of that classic style.

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i think they changing everything to make it simple and fun
    characters look like mysims or enchanted folk but the background looks totally different like a painting
    looking forward to the game from the screenies... please don't be too childish

9. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    holy shit!
    this looks awesome!!

10. concealed identi

Member concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

Japan

I agree...just once I'd like to play a game where I'm not either a 'roided-up space marine or a whiny 13-year-old. I don't play RPG's though, so I can't really complain about this game in particular, so who knows, maybe it'll still end up fun and you'll be able to enjoy it.

11. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    thought it was a mix between ninja gaiden and final fantasy
    XD

12. granville
    OP

United States
    @anyone who says they don't want to play a game like this- don't play it. Simple as shit. If you play a game you know you will hate, that's pretty stupid anyways.

@DarkRey- Haha, Ninja Gaiden isn't the only game with Gaiden in the title. Gaiden is simply a Japanese word meaning basically "side story". This is a spinoff FF game, a side story.

13. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    This is one to keep an eye on. Hopefully it won't be a let down like some other games in the Final Fantasy franchise. ~crosses fingers~

Wonder when we will see a release over here. [​IMG]

14. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    I've played lots of RPGs and I can say I do see a point on those comments you so dislike. Not only the turn based system (which is probably slower in this case with that MP thing even for regular attacks), which ends up getting you tired and that very very very few games of the genre have succesfully overcome (Grandia series and very few more) but, also, the plot. Saving the world is fine. I mean, you need some serious motivation to go through 40+ hours of slow gameplay, some good art, too, cutscenes... But, hell, they could change some of it at least, couldn't they? I mean, I bet there'll be like 3 or 4 times when someone will mention the power of friendship/love, how it is more powerful than all the nuclear weapons in the world and will eventually wipe the badass guys' from planet Earth (or similar) in a flash of light so blinding that you'll have to turn your face away from your DS screens.

That said, I may even give this a go. It looks good, but I too am tired of the repetitive theme used a 1000 times before. I don't think that's a crime, huh?

15. granville
    OP

United States
    It's not a crime to dislike those kinds of games. But it's still pretty hypocritical to play those games when you already know you won't like them. That's like saying you are sick of pizza but you continue to it anyways. It makes no logical sense to do things like that. Same can be said about smokers who constantly complain about their addiction. They don't have to do what they are doing.

Lets face it- this is still a new game. It has a unique art style and still LOOKS fun even if the gameplay is derivative. We don't even know enough about the game to criticize it yet. And it's probably better than porting Final Fantasy 1 or whatever.

16. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Thanks for the post Granville, looks great [​IMG]

Looks/reminds me of Zelda

17. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Well, the only part of the game that's been criticized is the plot, which is, incidentally, nearly all we know from the game. Also, I think it's completely normal to criticize something you like. Take for an example wives/husbands/girl/boyfriends. You stick to them even though they snore, and you keep telling them every single morning to stop the sh*t.

In my case, I do enjoy these games, but the plot is simply pathetic. I also go to the movies and enjoy punch-explosion-bang-hotties-THE END movies, but that doesn't mean I objectively rate them as good. I extend this to the other users' statements. It's that, or they're into sadomasochism.

For example, I love Golden Sun. I was so stunned at such graphics on a GBA, the colourful and detailed sprites, the amazing sound fx and music that I didn't give a damn about the plot. It was OK. Basically the same as this one "teen to save the world" but with some spicy add-ons (same goes for the forementioned Grandia series, or Chrono Trigger). But, yeah, the plot is not only "meh" but tirelessly repeated through the history of RPGs.

Edit:

Sorry, with all this I forgot to comment on-topic [​IMG]

The game does look good and yeah, kinda reminds of Zelda (PH). First impression was actually that it resembled "Animal Crossing"... lol

18. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll have to agree with the "nice a new FF game" but also the "crap another kiddie looking game" statement, or as I'd rather put it "Oh crap, another game I'll have to play, but just where no one else can see me" statement.

I'll game on the bus on the way to work, but while the perception might be bad enough, a 30ish guy playing on a DS, I just can't bring myself to play a "cute" game in public... Enjoy the heck out of it at home, just not where the screen can be observed.

At least I have my ebooks formatted to use on moonshell for the bus ride....

Someone confirm me so I can go back to lurking.....

19. granville
    OP

United States
    I found a couple of new scans. They're really poor quality, but make what you can of them-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    kewl a new FF. should be entertaining