Gaming Final fantasy 7-9

DonLeon

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
XP
102
Country
Indonesia
Hello guys
i want to ask something
1.if squareenix would made the DS version of final fantasy 7-9, would u like it???
2.Is NDS capable of playing these games?? because NDS's graphic is very bad so i think it wouldn't be like the Playstation one
3.If squareenix would made them will NDS play it as good as in the playstation one?
i think final fantasy 8 needs more than 128 MB size because in Playstation it used 4 CDs
4.Is 128MB the highest/maximum size of NDS game? if not why did many game companies don't make it bigger ?

oh yeah i want to ask something
which one is better in graphic
NDS/PlayStation?
 

Hadrian

Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
16,978
Trophies
0
Age
40
XP
4,579
Country
United States
It is possible with a shit load of compression but I think it would be best not to, plus FF5 has yet to come out in Japan so lets say they do 6 next year, could be the last of the ports, and I'd guess that next year Nintendo will have the next DS announced so they'll just port it to that...perhaps.

NDS graphics very bad? For me its better than Playstation, just that developers don't really put as much time into their games as the devs on the Playstation but developers are finally getting to grips with the hardware, there are a lot of games to come that look a lot better than most good looking Playstation games.

Also there has been bigger than 128MB, ASH was 256MB.
 

Social0

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
533
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
154
Country
Belgium
the Playstation 1 could push more polygons than the NDS

1.if squareenix would made the DS version of final fantasy 7-9, would u like it???

A remake of Final Fantasy 7 would be in order yes. Or even 8, although it had a lot more graphical details. Don't think a port would work on any Final Fantasy from the PS One

2.Is NDS capable of playing these games?? because NDS's graphic is very bad so i think it wouldn't be like the Playstation one
No, not by a longshot. Not a straight port anyway. The Nintendo DS seems to handle Cell shaded graphics the best if we're talking about pretty graphics.

3.If squareenix would made them will NDS play it as good as in the playstation one?
How would we know?

i think final fantasy 8 needs more than 128 MB size because in Playstation it used 4 CDs
They could swap the cutscenes for in game cutscenes and build the game from the ground up for NDS, just like with FF3.

4.Is 128MB the highest/maximum size of NDS game? if not why did many game companies don't make it bigger ?
Game companies don't make it bigger because the larger the memory, the more expensive the card is to produce at the factory.
The smaller the game, the cheaper. That's why in the N64 days games like Conker costed a shitload because of the big memory.


oh yeah i want to ask something
which one is better in graphic
NDS/PlayStation?

Playstation can handle a lot more but the NDS has its benefits as well. While the specs of the NDS are almost better on every front compared to the Playstation, as said earlier, the Playstation can display triple the amount of polygons compared to the NDS.

It's truly a shame that the DS lacks texture filtering like the N64
 

woland84

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
75
Trophies
0
Age
37
Location
Warsaw
Website
Visit site
XP
142
Country
Poland
DonLeon said:
Hello guys
i want to ask something
1.if squareenix would made the DS version of final fantasy 7-9, would u like it???
2.Is NDS capable of playing these games?? because NDS's graphic is very bad so i think it wouldn't be like the Playstation one
3.If squareenix would made them will NDS play it as good as in the playstation one?
i think final fantasy 8 needs more than 128 MB size because in Playstation it used 4 CDs
4.Is 128MB the highest/maximum size of NDS game? if not why did many game companies don't make it bigger ?

oh yeah i want to ask something
which one is better in graphic
NDS/PlayStation?

It would be nice to have all final fantasy titles remade for DS, but doubt we will see 7-9.
NDS is capable of playing any games written for NDS. Of course they will look different from PS1 (or any other game system) but it doesn't mean they can't be made. Look at FF XII Revenant Wings
biggrin.gif



Games these days are so big because of graphic data (huge textures), movies(HD) and sometimes audio. On DS you don't need all this - you have 512kB texture memory per screen so they have to be small, movies are well compressed for 256 x 192 pixels, and audio doesn't have to be the best quality.

Maximum cart size is now 256MB, but maybe it can be more, only Nintendo knows
unsure.gif

Developers don't use bigger cards because they don't need to thats all.
 

airpirate545

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
757
Trophies
0
Age
28
Website
Visit site
XP
393
Country
United States
woland84 said:
DonLeon said:
Hello guys
i want to ask something
1.if squareenix would made the DS version of final fantasy 7-9, would u like it???
2.Is NDS capable of playing these games?? because NDS's graphic is very bad so i think it wouldn't be like the Playstation one
3.If squareenix would made them will NDS play it as good as in the playstation one?
i think final fantasy 8 needs more than 128 MB size because in Playstation it used 4 CDs
4.Is 128MB the highest/maximum size of NDS game? if not why did many game companies don't make it bigger ?

oh yeah i want to ask something
which one is better in graphic
NDS/PlayStation?

It would be nice to have all final fantasy titles remade for DS, but doubt we will see 7-9.
NDS is capable of playing any games written for NDS. Of course they will look different from PS1 (or any other game system) but it doesn't mean they can't be made. Look at FF XII Revenant Wings
biggrin.gif



Games these days are so big because of graphic data (huge textures), movies(HD) and sometimes audio. On DS you don't need all this - you have 512kB texture memory per screen so they have to be small, movies are well compressed for 256 x 192 pixels, and audio doesn't have to be the best quality.

Maximum cart size is now 256MB, but maybe it can be more, only Nintendo knows
unsure.gif

Developers don't use bigger cards because they don't need to thats all.

isn't that upcoming dragon quest for ds using like 3 or 4 cards because of its size? at least that's what I heard
 

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
2,052
Trophies
0
Age
36
Location
Vancouver, BC
Website
Visit site
XP
352
Country
Canada
Also if the developers tune down the graphics, 128~256MB should be enough to hold the game. Even PS2 game ports fit on DS carts. PS1 port like Front Mission is only 64MB even with extra contents. 3~4 discs would be about 128MB (because multiple discs contain duplicated data on every disc to run the game) or in worst case 256MB.
 

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,886
Trophies
0
Location
England
XP
270
Country
No no no no no, 8 and 9 would be terrible ported to a handheld. They're just too pretty for such a tiny screen.
 

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
1,221
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Right Here
XP
141
Country
Canada
Games that required a cd to hold the data might be too much for a DS cart.

But here is maybe a better question.

Would you require FF7 thru FF9 to be released as identical in the DS?

I greatly enjoy Age of Empires on the DS. And to be honest, I don't like the PC RTS version at all.

Now I am not suggesting quite that drastic an alteration of the FF titles. But some reduction in the visual experience would be likely required.

I don't think the DS has lousy graphics, I think some of us simply expect too much from a DS screen.
 

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
3,887
Trophies
0
Age
36
Location
Brazil
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
657
Country
Brazil
The DS could easily have a remake of one of these games.. the DS hardware is better than the PSX.

The biggest DS cart around is 256MB..

Yes, FF7,8 and 9 all had 3 or 4 cds.. but you have to keep some things in mind:

- By the time they were made, there was no good video and audio compression like today.. you could reduce their sizes in more than half using today's compression techniques.. also, the DS screen is smaller and has a lower resolution than a TV screen, so you would have to reduce the resolution of the videos, getting smaller files.

- The 3 cds had a lot of redundant information.. you could return to areas from the first CD anytime, so all the cds needed to have data about all the areas

Still.. I don't know if 256MB would be enough..
unsure.gif


EDIT: And I would prefer to see a DS remake of FF5 than 7, 8 or 9
tongue.gif
 

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
8,147
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Depths of Nuclear powerplant
XP
593
Country
Croatia
FF V & VI are already announced to get remake for NDS, so it's only matter of time..I don't believe they'll port any PS Final Fantasys, but I'd like to play VII on my DS..

1. I would LOVE FF VII port!!

2. NDS doesn't have bad graphics, for such innovative handheld it has great graphics (now, don't compare it to PSP)

3. It would play even better if they made controls with touch screen (something great like Ninja Gaiden, or Zelda)

4. It's been confirmed that NDS cart could have 512 MB of space (or even more), but the biggest game for now is 256 MB..

And for me, NDS has better graphics because it's a handheld, it's mobile, and I like it more..
 
D

Deleted User

Guest
Social0 said:
the Playstation 1 could push more polygons than the NDS

1.if squareenix would made the DS version of final fantasy 7-9, would u like it???

A remake of Final Fantasy 7 would be in order yes. Or even 8, although it had a lot more graphical details. Don't think a port would work on any Final Fantasy from the PS One

2.Is NDS capable of playing these games?? because NDS's graphic is very bad so i think it wouldn't be like the Playstation one
No, not by a longshot. Not a straight port anyway. The Nintendo DS seems to handle Cell shaded graphics the best if we're talking about pretty graphics.

3.If squareenix would made them will NDS play it as good as in the playstation one?
How would we know?

i think final fantasy 8 needs more than 128 MB size because in Playstation it used 4 CDs
They could swap the cutscenes for in game cutscenes and build the game from the ground up for NDS, just like with FF3.

4.Is 128MB the highest/maximum size of NDS game? if not why did many game companies don't make it bigger ?
Game companies don't make it bigger because the larger the memory, the more expensive the card is to produce at the factory.
The smaller the game, the cheaper. That's why in the N64 days games like Conker costed a shitload because of the big memory.


oh yeah i want to ask something
which one is better in graphic
NDS/PlayStation?

Playstation can handle a lot more but the NDS has its benefits as well. While the specs of the NDS are almost better on every front compared to the Playstation, as said earlier, the Playstation can display triple the amount of polygons compared to the NDS.

It's truly a shame that the DS lacks texture filtering like the N64

DS > PS1 in terms of graphics.
End.

However, the main problem is the space that the carts can handle. FFVII was about 1.5Megs (when compressed to EBOOT.PBP for PSP) on the PSOne.
Unless they'd do multicartidges? =\

Nah, they should make a proper remake of it for PSP. With Crisis Core graphics. Yum.
 

Antihero2007

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Messages
141
Trophies
0
XP
85
Country
I would like to see a DS version of FF7 and FF9, I don't like FF8 much (I've been waiting for a DS version of FF7 since I saw the DS's FF3). I don't really want it to have the PSone's graphics I'd rather they made it in the same style as FF3/FF4 on the DS, if I wanted to see the PSone game I'd play it on the PSone.
 

DonLeon

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
XP
102
Country
Indonesia
thanks guys for the comment althrough i can't understand some comments

and then i want to ask again
which is better? FF3 DS graphics/FF7 PS graphics?
because when i saw the opening movie of FF3 i thought that DS graphic is better
but ......... i don't know the fact !!

i would be happy althrough the picture size is small if the FF series are ported

i think FF series don't have to use the stylus
becuase stylus in FF i think is useless
because the gameplay are like the PS one

but it's still bother me wether the DS can load the graphic as good as PS or not
 

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
12,649
Trophies
1
Age
33
XP
6,281
Country
United States
those final fantasy's were almost 2.0-2.8GB
the ds would never run it unless they wanna make a 6-8 ds cart game d:
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I would Photoshop movie stars kissing donkey balls lol