Filthy Pirates At It Again: Emulation Possible on Vita

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Staff edit. Please try a bit of original writing.
Gameplox are reporting that the Vita has had emulators appear in public.
So far it is something of a proof of concept work using the PS Suite (a semi open developer platform using a fairly restricted setup in terms of available hardware and software practices that is still in late but open beta for the Vita). Being fairly restricted the frame rates are quite low even on the NES (a fairly easy to emulator platform) but proof of concept becomes fairly functional quite quickly.

There is no word from Sony yet if this troubles licensing conditions either through copyright concerns (Handhelds and consoles in general see many ports of old works or that it is technically allowing unrestricted user code (Apple shut down and restricted emulators there on similar concerns).

Sample of source post.

While most people assumed it was only a matter of time until emulators began appearing on the Vita, and likely through the surprisingly open PS Suite, I am sure many doubted they would be out so soon.
One of what will soon become many NES emulators was made available for the public. For now, it only runs at 15 frames, but imagine the horror when it becomes fully functional, or worse: GBA and SNES ones become available.

Source

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't see a big deal about emulating old games from the nes,snes,gba era but thats me,i'm sure companys just love continuing to try to get people to buy old software for more $$$...

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would this lead to increase in sales? Everything else can already emulate everything as it is...3DS'll get there eventually. Most phones can already emulate anything up to PS1/GBA. I doubt the Vita is powerful enough to perfectly emulate N64/Gamecube/anything else. So...no, I don't think this will make any kind of big deal.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wtf look at this and the 3ds still hasn't been hacked yet?? :hateit:
To be fair, the DS can already emulate nearly every well-known 2D machine around (assuming you have a Supercard DSTWO that is), so basically the 3DS is currently superior to the Vita in terms of emulation.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
This will never get approved for whatever Indie market they have. Sony is not stupid enough to let it through and incur the lawsuits therafter.

Well Apple and Google have approved them in their respective stores so why SONY can't other than Nintendo is their main competitor(handheld). It could rise the sales of the Vita.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This will never get approved for whatever Indie market they have. Sony is not stupid enough to let it through and incur the lawsuits therafter.

Well Apple and Google have approved them in their respective stores so why SONY can't other than Nintendo is their main competitor(handheld). It could rise the sales of the Vita.
I might be mistaken, but as far as I know there is no GB(A) emulator in the App Store. The are a few available via Cydia if you have a jailbroken iPhone, but that's not Apple's fault. From Googling a bit, it seems they are not allowed in the App Store because you can't have apps that execute code from outside the app itself (ROMS). The Android Market doesn't have this limitation, so there are emulators available there. I'm not sure if Sony is willing to take the risk of having emulators on PSN, though.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

There is a Commodore and ZXSPectrum emulator on the AppStore but they'll have been created with official approval of all parties. As for the Google Market they're walking a fine line, didn't a few get taken off a while back?
Besides as old as the NES is, would you want people playing your competitor's games on your own console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE