FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Frequenting our IRC channel over Christmas it seemed not everybody knew there were only two Christmas films of worth (though it pains me to have to cover it again- Die Hard and Die Hard 2) and previously it turned out one of the people we had thought was alright had not seen back to the future. I am going to try imposing a limit of 5 franchises per post (feel free to say skip the ?st/?nd/?rd....) though it remains to see whether breaking the law will see the it be a case of "I fought the law and the law won" or not.

So then film (franchises) one really should have seen to be a considered a cultured individual, the definition of cultured is left to the reader to ponder. You can also say anything by director/writer/producer/choreographer if you prefer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think by "cultured" it means "films that have become so ingrained in our society that they are a part of our culture."

Star Wars (original trilogy) is the big one, it's probably one of the most culturally relevant works in the past fifty years easily. Same goes for Indiana Jones albeit to a lesser extent (as really Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only one you should see). Like I know a lot of people don't watch the movies I do or to the same extent but Star Wars is one of the only movies I will be shocked if someone hasn't seen. It doesn't have limited sci-fi appeal like Star Trek, Blade Runner, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, etc, it's a movie that's so broad in its appeal and so charming in its presentation that almost anyone from a hardcore film buff to a casual movie goer will love it all the same.

Here's a brief list off the top of my head:
  • The Matrix: While it doesn't have as broad an appeal, it's both an enjoyable action movie, enjoyable martial arts/wire-fu movie, and an enjoyable sci-fi movie. The sequels don't capture what the original brought but it both delivers a strong sci-fi movie with interesting characters, cutting edge special effects, and some good dialogue. It's a bit odd considering on the surface it seems a bit shit. The cast is pretty weak (Keanu Reeves is a mediocre actor and Laurence Fishborne is pretty average) and the whole "WE'RE ALL JUST LIVING IN COMPUTERS" concept seems like something written by a first year film student but it's put together really well.
  • Nolan Batman trilogy: Really one of the breakout franchises after its really rough start, the kinda strikes me as a modern day Star Wars. Really broad appeal, a lot of effort put into it, and it's a true blockbuster. Ironically it also kinda fits the same as the original trilogy. The first movie was good, the second movie was a ton better though, and the third movie is a bit divisive.
  • Jaws: One of the best filmed movies ever and also considered the first blockbuster. A lot can be credited to it. Not much else to say.
  • The Wizard of Oz: Well it's the Wizard of fucking Oz. Not a super deep movie but it's a movie that really sets color film aside from being a "gimmick". Really bright and vibrant and for its scope and setting, it aged quite well. A side note, I'm cautiously optimistic for Oz: The Great and Powerful.
  • Goldfinger: While you don't need to know the movies that well to get the Bond references (most of those are covered in Austin Powers), Goldfinger is the movie to see if you want the full experience. Its got the cars, its got the babes, its got the dastardly evil villains, and its got Sean Connery. A personal favorite of mine as well.
That's it off the top of my head for now. There's a lot more.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apocalypse Now

Now I agree everybody should have seen a slightly more downbeat war film but I have to ask would you accept Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill or possibly The Deer Hunter instead?

Re star wars. I am not so sure nowadays if it is truly necessary to have seen it. Had you hit your teenage years before 2000 then certainly, afterwards I am not so sure and right now I would probably just say "fair enough".

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Goonies - Family movies like these just aren't made anymore... The closest thing to it in recent memory was Super 8. Terrific ensemble cast of child actors and a fun story.

Memento - Fairly original story and method of telling it. Guy Pearce is a severely underrated actor (mostly because for every great movie he's in, there's an equally terrible one...) and Christopher Nolan before he was a house-hold name. Another terrificly casted movie.

City of God - No words... Just watch.

Toy Story (the first one...) - A milestone in computer animated motion pictures. There have been many great films since but Toy Story had a great story and very endearing characters. One of the first "kid" movies to really bring something to the table that parents could also enjoy.

Dune (the Sci-Fi channel miniseries... I know FAST6191... It's a made for TV minseries... Deal with it.) - Ignoring the low budget special effects and the painted backdrops (which are actually fairly well done and reminiscent of some early film epics) the Dune miniseries is the most accurate visual representation of one of the greatest sci-fi novels of the 20th century. As huge a fan I am of David Lynch, his 1984 version of Dune was atrocious... If you watch and enjoy this miniseries, the follow-up miniseries Children of Dune (which combines the second and maybe best novel, Dune Messiah, with the third novel, Children of Dune) is just as good.

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
Two Movies I like.
Beaches 1988 :- When the New York child performer CC Bloom and San Fransisco rich kid Hillary meet in a holiday resort in Atlantic City, it marks the start of a lifetime friendship between them. The two keep in touch through letters for a number of years until Hillary, now a successful lawyer moves to New York to stay with struggling singer CC. The movie shows the various stages of their friendship and their romances including their love for the same man.

The Rose 1979:- Bette Midler plays "Rose", an artist strikingly similar to Janis Joplin. The film follows Rose's career during her last tour. Her rock and roll lifestyle of Drugs, Sex, and Rock and Roll and constant touring lead her to an inevitable breakdown.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sci fi have a habit of releasing those miniseries things as full film (woe was me when I picked up their attempt at Earthsea thinking it might be a quick film before bed one evening) so I will let that slide- also I really liked those Dune miniseries (though I actually watched the Children of Dune first).

One day I will get around to watching Memento, as for Guy Pearce I did recently watch Lockout and although it was a bad sci fi film it was the kind of bad sci fi film I adore and can not get enough of so I will go that.

City of God - surprised me when I watched it one night (started with me playing on a GBA and that got closed off in short order). I could see it as being one of the films I looked for here.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Dune (the Sci-Fi channel miniseries... Ignoring the low budget special effects and the painted backdrops (which are actually fairly well done and reminiscent of some early film epics) the Dune miniseries is the most accurate visual representation of one of the greatest sci-fi novels of the 20th century.
It's the most accurate visual representation of Dune, until you see sietches open to the desert, people wandering around the desert without stillsuits, or camping out in the open in pretty, gauzy tents and pretty, gauzy pajamas. I half expected Paul to take a bath. The lack of water discipline annoyed me to no end. The series sticks to the letter of Dune, but not the spirit.

[/nerdrant]

I liked the Baron, though. The Baron was good.

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the most accurate visual representation of Dune, until you see sietches open to the desert, people wandering around the desert without stillsuits, or camping out in the open in pretty, gauzy tents and pretty, gauzy pajamas. I half expected Paul to take a bath. The lack of water discipline annoyed me to no end. The series sticks to the letter of Dune, but not the spirit.

[/nerdrant]

I liked the Baron, though. The Baron was good.
I said it's the most accurate representation of Dune, not that it was completely accurate ;) Was more a comment on how terrible Lynch's Dune was...

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Whenever I remember that movie this automatically springs to mind.

As far as the musical crowd is concerned I'd say Grease (not 2, DO NOT WATCH GREASE2!!1!) and the Rocky Horror picture show.

Grease 2 is pretty bad, but it rounds the corner from "argh, do not watch" back to "this is pretty enjoyable, why am I still watching this?"

Rock Horror Picture Show is pretty trippy and I still think it is the best for it's camp value alone.

My list: (contains many foreign films and a lot of indie weirdness)

Indie: Amelie - I don't know how to classify this, but maybe as a romantic comedy film? It's a not one by Western standards of comedy, but it's kind of fun. The character is Amelie Poulin and she tries her best at making people happy in their daily lives, and she eventually meets the "love of her life". It's pretty fun, and it's subject matter can get pretty dark in tone...dealing with death, loss and sexual matters. This movie will definately make you cry and laugh. (Also, it's a pretty fun date movie, if you and your date know each other pretty well.) Only thing is...subtitles if you don't speak a word of French. :D

Amelie Trailer:

Musical: Rent - I know, most people would dismiss this as glorifying "pseudo-hipsters". It's a pretty original broadway production and the characters are pretty interesting. Plus there is a love story for everyone, from the gay guys to the lesbians to the straight couple...and the music gets completely stuck in your head! I'd probably describe this as a story about a bunch of friends/lovers weathering good times and bad times in New York City. It's pretty fun and be prepared to shed a few tears at some points. (Also, I might be killed for suggesting this - the film version has better pacing and character development.) It's also about fighting the stigma of AIDS/HIV and it's a pretty powerful piece. There's only one dull moment in this - the scene with the spoken word performance...but if you like this kind of thing, you'd go for it.

Rent Movie Trailer:

Musical 2: Cabaret - Okay, okay, this is an extra musical, but it's still pretty well done. Set in a Cabaret at the beginning of World War 2. It can get pretty dark and pretty weird before it gets done. There was a broadway version with Alan Cummings in it as the MC. Pretty interesting. I would say it's more of a character driven piece in which characters are described with their own musical score. I love two songs in this - Two Ladies and Liza with a Z. It's racy, it's raunchy and it's fun - and you can see the characters desperately escaping their own mundane lives in the Cabaret.

Cabaret Trailer:

Big Budget: Star Wars (original trilogy) - Good and evil and the original father-son relationship drama, set to semi-religious connotations and in the future. Also because it showcases the talent and people who were behind the idea and the execution of the ideas! Features a few new ideas - like the lightsabers and very technically good....also good for the pop culture references. (Believe it or not, one of my nerdy/geeky friends hasn't seen this!)

Foreign: Drunken Master - Featuring a real fighting style and a really young Jackie Chan. The choreography is highly excellent and makes for a tense battle scene. Also, one of the first use of the Hong Kong style of "wire fu", a style that uses wires and grapples to pull actors and punches. Also, one of the better funny foreign movies. (The end fight is one of the best in movie history.) Some of the humor is pretty low brow, although - with Jackie's character refusing to practice the stances of the female "drunken god". (Also, one of the few martial arts movies that sounds like a fighting video game.)

Drunken Master 2/Legend of Drunken Master Trailer:

* Note: Trailer is from the more recent Drunken Master 2. The fighting style is similar, but not the same.

Classic: Citizen Kane - Yes, this film that is an essay question by every single university student. It's a great example of an introspective film. *It's the film equilivant of "The Great Gatsby" - just basically how a wealthy man gains power and prestige by working hard and finally realizing that he lost his soul or his personality in the pursuit of money and fame. It's pretty good, although the film's pacing is slow (probably on purpose), and the character development is plodding as well. Watch it with a great big tub of popcorn and you'd be able to have fun. (I had to watch this for the first time in first year university and I only sat through it with the help of snacks - 5 hour classes are so not good!)

Introducing the Characters in Citizen Kane:

Extra Credit: Bridget Jone's Diary - This is the ultimate example of a "chick flick". This is based on a book that spawned out of a relationship advice column in a UK newspaper. It's biggest achievement is completely capturing the spirit of every insecure moment of a woman's life...and what her thoughts were on the subject. I actually love this movie, despite the cheesy nature of that. (Also, I'm told that Hugh Grant and Colin Firth are completely attractive to those who like men.) :D Guys, watch this and you'd no longer wonder why women are pretty damn insecure! (Also...the lady who plays Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter is one of Bridget's friends.)

I'm actually ashamed to really like this, being a card carrying feminist as well. The character is pretty bad...kind of a ditz, airhead and completely weird. I would say this movie is Pretty Women rewritten from the female perspective and with a healthy heap of funny.

Bridget Jone's Diary Trailer:

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've noticed a disturbing lack of westerns. I shall try to alleviate this with...

3:10 to yuma: while the new version is more true to the book and is overall a better movie it has a terrible and unfulfilling ending. For that I recommend the classic one over it.

rooster cogburn: yes there is a newer one called true grit but that version had an overacting version of mr cogburn (the way the man spoke made me feel he was too drunk to do half the stuff he pulled off) Besides I would reckin' ya give tha duke a lil love at least once there pilgrim.

Reactions: astrangeone

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Vanilla Sky (or the spanish original Abre los Ojos): Tom Cruise and Penélope Cruz (or Some spanish guy and Penélope Cruz)... Great soundtrack, thought provoking film...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. For me, feels like the same "genre" as the previous film, again great score and love the plot and theme...
(Horrible trailer)

Mulholland Dr.: Made by David Lynch, need I say more? It's very fucked up, mind twisting and pretentious. Which equals to "you got to see it to be cultured" haha :)

The Phantom of the Opera (The 2004 version): Gerard Butler sings awesomely good in this musical... wonderful music (the same old songs we all know, but the production quality is great) and Andrew Lloyd Webber has been a big part of the production.

Se7en /or/ Fight Club: both by David Fincher, great movies... If you have to pick one... Se7en...

Honorable mention, as astrangeone already listed this: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain. It's a classic.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
There is also a lack of horror films....I've failed on this aspect of it:

Horror Film Medley:

1) Species - Alien species wishes to breed with humans. Alien species takes the form of a really hot girl (I don't remember her name at the moment), and almost gets it done. It's pretty nerve wracking because it plays off of every stereotype ever, but it also plays with human emotion (oh my god she's hot, and oh crap...she might just kill me).

2) Coffin Joe Series - Another really old movie, but pretty cheesy as well. It's a black and white spanish film with subtitles. The main character is named Coffin Joe and he's a coffin maker in a small very superstituous village. He desperately wants a child and he hates religion very much. This man is repulsive, if you saw him coming down the street, you'd run. Also...very good but slow paced. (I own two of the three movies - if I could just get my hands on the others, I'd be a very happy woman.) This is more of a character study as well - as you see the main character get progressively worse and more perverse.

3) Rosemary's Baby - Great idea, although it's dated as hell now. This concerns a couple trying to conceive a child and her husband is secretly part of a demon worshipping cult. He gets her pregnant with a demon child, and we never see the kid, but the idea of the parents slowly losing control of their lives and their child is pretty horrific. (Probably won't ever happen in this day and age - women are too well educated for this idea to spring to life again.)

4) The Exorcist - I would probably recommend the re-released version over the original, as it keeps some of the "deleted scenes" from the original. Also..the idea and execution is pretty good.

5) Paranormal Activity - Pretty good, and not really using the classic jump scares. I liked it, but the newer ones are...meh at best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?