Files disappearing off my R4.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by constellation, Aug 31, 2007.

Aug 31, 2007
  1. constellation
    OP

Newcomer constellation Member

United States
    I've been having this really weird problem with my R4. It seems like the filesystem likes to corrupt itself quite a few times on me. I first had this problem when I used LilouFTP and DSFTP. I tried FTP'ing into my DS to transfer and back up my save files. Ironically enough, this caused me to lose most of my saves. When I turn on my DS, 5 or so of my games (out of 18) have completely disappeared, and all my saves have completely disappeared too. Putting the card in my PC, I can see that most of the files are gone, but they still take up the alotted amount of space.

Reformatting the card and starting from scratch didn't seem to help the first time, because my files randomly disappear again when I restart my DS. When this happened, I reformatted again, ran chkdsk, and re-downloaded the firmware and tried again. It worked perfect until today, when I tried to transfer a new game to it (Worms Open Warfare 2). Upon powering on the DS, 3 of my 18 games disappeared, with all their saves. Keep in mind that this is without using any homebrew applications, whatsoever. This is really, really frustrating.

I really have no idea what's the cause of these problems and I'm hoping someone out there has had similar experiences or anyone has any idea what the the heck is going on.

Using R4 1.11 firmware, and a Transcent 1GB MicroSD, if anyone is interested.

2. refugio

Member refugio GBAtemp Regular

United States
    cant help you with your problem but worms 2 doesnt work on the r4...yet

3. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I remember deleting files with an early version of dsorganize and it messed up the card like what happened to you, it might be due to the ftp homebrew you are using, messing about with file transfers would be the prime suspect, just backup your savs......and worms 2 works with r4ds

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I went on the Homebrew Database with Dsorganize and twice files disappeared off my SD card. It just froze and i reset the power both times. The first time the whole card was wiped and i lost my saves [​IMG] the second time only the _ds_menu.dat file.

5. constellation
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I do realize that using the homebrew apps are the prime suspect, that's why I don't use them anymore. But after reformatting, the same thing still happens to me. Although it happens randomly. In fact, it just happened to me again. I tried starting 42 All Time Classics, but I only got a white screen. Turned the DS on and off, and lo and behold, Mario Kart.nds is gone, along with like 12 SAV files. 42 All Time Classics works now, though. Argh, this is really infuriating.

I wish I had another SD card to test this on, just to see if it's a hardware or software issue. I sure hope it's not the R4 at fault, though.

6. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hmmm, yeah that is strange,
    if you are using windows to format, try using this instead:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=389
    fat16 64k clustars and all that....
    if not try getting a cheap sd 512 or less card to test on

7. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's probably an SD card problem, get a new one.

8. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    oh yes it does..

9. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    Yes it does.

10. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    It does, I was playing it last night.

11. constellation
    OP

United States
    Kind of an update. But yeah, it happened to me again. This time, it happened because I tried putting Worms Open Warfare 2 on my SD card. So I think it definitely was the culprit. The game works fine, (did the arm7 fix), but I dunno, I guess the dumped ROM just isn't compatible with my SD card or something.

Basically, everything was fine until I put the game on. Played a round or so of Worms. Turned DS off and on, tried playing a game, and it wouldn't load. Resetted DS again, all .NDS and .SAVs are gone. Wheee. Oh well. =\. I'll shop around in the next few weeks for a Kingston 2 GB and we'll see if the same thing persists. This is really weird as hell, though.

12. DarkMatt

Newcomer DarkMatt Advanced Member

Australia
    I'd suspect it's probably the SD card. Since it's happening without you using the R4 (when you're putting files on the card), I'd assume it's either a bad card, or it's been damaged by the card reader / R4. More likely to be the card or the reader though imo.

13. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Re-Format that junt.

That is very weird though.