Fight sticks

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonicslasher, May 13, 2009.

May 13, 2009

Fight sticks by Sonicslasher at 9:50 PM (1,106 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Sonicslasher
    OP

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    I have searched high and searched low. Read guides, FAQs, comments across the internets. All to try to figure out which fight stick (or arcade stick, whatever you want to call it) to buy. The decision is really about whether I should get the Hori EX2 or the Madcatz SE (Standard Edition . I will present to you the pros and cons I have discovered so far.

Hori EX2:

Pros:

- It's cheap. Well, cheap-ish anyway. With a retail of $60, it costs $20 less than the Madcatz SE.

Cons:

- The stick makes a very noticeable and annoying clicky sound when used. I don't mean like a regular clicking sound you hear on other sticks, I mean a rather loud click. Search on youtube to know what I'm talking about.

- From what I hear, the buttons are not very clicky.

- It's not easy to mod. Well, what I mean be that is, you need to know how to solder to mod it. Right now I'm looking into the future. I'll definitely want to replace the stick with a bat top and might replace the buttons if need be in the future.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, in order to replace the buttons, you will need to know how to unsolder the old buttons and solder the new ones on.​

- With soldering tools coming to around $20, that makes the entire purchase go up to around $80.

Madcatz SE:

Pros:

- It has 8 buttons. While most people may not use the extra two, it will come in handy when using it on emulators.

- The stock stick is nicer. While I want to mod it later on, I still want to get the most use out of it I can.

- Easier to mod. No soldering skills needed at all, just unplugging and plugging in.

[​IMG]
    Easy as pie!​

Cons:

- $20 more than the Hori EX2.

- Washer problem in some units. Due to the washer sometimes being loose, it scrapes against the stick PCB and after a while some moves stop registering. Although Madcatz has said that there will not be that problem in the upcoming units.

- If I do decide to mod it, it would cost around $60. The more I look around, the more I see that the stock parts are shit. Maybe I should wait a good while before getting a fight stick :|

If you own a fight stick, I would like it if you could post here and tell me about your experience with either of these fight sticks. I'm trying to make a decision on what fight stick to get.

2. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States
    As much as I don't want to, I'm going to bump the topic. I really want to know if there are problems with this batch of Madcatz SE sticks before buying one.

3. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    To be quite honest, I'd be surprised if anyone here knew a lot about fight sticks.

I don't have a Madcatz fight stick myself, but I doubt they would actually make something good rather than a cheap alternative that your asshole of a friend buys for you to use while he gets the better controller.

Try another forum, Sonic. You'll most likely get more answers there than here.

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Madcatz don't tend to use the best hardware/components/plastics even to make their stuff in general! ... so maby avoid them from the start!

5. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Don't get either of them, they're both expensive and a waste of time.

6. pika3000

Member pika3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got the Madcatz SE and love it so far but this is also the first arcade stick I've used in years and thus at the moment better with some SF2 characters on the 360 controller. I'm not sure if I should recommend it as others have had troubles with it such as main PCB issues and the washer issue you mentioned. Markman, a Shoryuken forums user who made the stick says that the washer is fixed in any sticks purchase mid April+ but some still report having the problem which means that pre April sticks could still be out there, if you do get one with a bad washer there are tutorials on Instructibles (Although one step is about why you shouldn't) and Shoryuken forums on how to fix it, though your 90 day warranty will be void. You may want to search posts (don't post or you'll be flamed and told to search) on Shoryuken forums before deciding to get it.

7. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I wouldn't say that. I greatly prefer the feel of an arcade/fight stick than a typical controller. Although many of them are overpriced, there's a few good ones for the PS3 (Can't find any cheap 360 ones yet) at under 60 bucks.

EDIT: Unless you mean as just those two, and not fight/arcade sticks overall.

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I really wonder why 360 arcade sticks have been out of stock/overpriced this entire time.

9. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    The sticks are always out of stock because they simply don't produce enough of them. Some silly executives crunched the numbers and figured that demand wouldn't be high enough, making it a niche product. Big mistake. There's a huge market for cheap arcade sticks.

You see, people complain about these sticks being expensive, but they cost nothing compared to say, a proper X-Arcade stick. The only problem with X-Arcade is they can't get Microsoft to allow them to produce a 360 adapter. You can get it working on 360 using the X-Arcade PC USB, PC PS/2 or PS2 adapters with an XCM Sniper and a wired 360 controller, but honestly, that's way too much cost and effort. (I know only because I did it.) Nothing beats a proper arcade stick, however not everyone can afford the cost or is able to store the silly thing.

If you HAD to choose between the two sticks you mentioned, I'd choose the HORI. It's a better third party brand than MadCatz, and their controllers are fairly good quality for the price.

10. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States