OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
500x_fro.jpg

The obsessives over at Digital Foundry, who do this kind of thing for a living, have compared the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Final Fantasy XIII in agonising detail. The results? Not so good for 360 owners.

While acknowledging that the most important thing - that game itself is the same (of course) - and that in some instances cinematic sequences are better than expected, in many other areas the 360 version "isn't anywhere near as impressive as it is on PlayStation 3".

Making things worse is DF's assertion that it didn't have to be this way; that much of the 360 version's (relatively) poor performance in CGI sequences is down to "amateurish" video encoding on the part of Square Enix, with around 1GB of storage space left unused on two of the game's three discs that could have been put to work improving the look of the game's cutscenes.
Things aren't all bad for the 360 version. Digital Foundry notes that the game's framerate is consistently smoother on Microsoft's console, the 360 better able to stick to the game's target of 30 frames per second than the PS3.

Words can of course only describe so much, so for the full details on the breakdown and a big collection of comparative galleries and in-game clips, hit the link below.
Face-Off: Final Fantasy XIII [Eurogamer]
Source.

Oh dear.

Also, enter fanboys.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
luke_c said:
Things aren't all bad for the 360 version. Digital Foundry notes that the game's framerate is consistently smoother on Microsoft's console, the 360 better able to stick to the game's target of 30 frames per second than the PS3.
It figures a lot of games on ps3 have framerate problems.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
purplesludge said:
luke_c said:
It figures a lot of games on ps3 have framerate problems.
Yeah, I've noaticed this too in the games I've played, The framerate isn't always consistent, but whatever, it's not all that bad.

Though it does get kind of annoying for me when I play Ground War in Modern warfare 2.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Meh, I haven't see all those differences.

It looks like Sony paid someone to badmouth 360's version
rolleyes.gif

If you look at the test they ran, you can clearly see that the 360 version suffers from whatever compression they used. There are clear fuzziness and artifacting on edges. It does have better framerate though.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly who cares

people seem to always try and find a way to complain about ports

i'm apparently one of the few people barely even interested in the game, i could care less if one version isn't as shiny as the other

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
360 was always gonna look worse than the PS3 version, just be glad it actually made it to the 360 in a very good port rather than never coming at all.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
How the hell do people notice these little differences??

A few frames definitely matter. Its actually very noticeable if you play on any kind of multiplayer-competitive-games (FPS, fighters, racing, etc). The smallest amount of frames are noticeable.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sylar1 said:
i'm apparently one of the few people barely even interested in the game, i could care less if one version isn't as shiny as the other

QUOTE(Sylar1 @ Mar 5 2010, 01:06 PM) i could care less if one version isn't as shiny as the other, because i'm apparently one of the few people barely even interested in the game
Fixed.

Of course you won't care about the differences between versions of something you have barely any interest in.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people saying they dont care are just pirating it anyway. If you were to spend your own real hard earned money, you'd be buying the ps3 version. Seeing as how most of the people here are filthy pirates (myself included), 360 version is fine since its free. That doesnt make the 360 one any less crappy, since its a non-hd final fantasy game!!!

p.s. - I have FF13 on PS3 pre-ordered too.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I looked at screens of each, and while the PS3 one is much sharper, I prefer the lighting/color scheme on the 360 version. SO subtle though, you couldn't notice unless they were side by side. And if you have both consoles to put side by side, you could have just bought the one you preferred from the start
wink.gif

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
Most people saying they dont care are just pirating it anyway. If you were to spend your own real hard earned money, you'd be buying the ps3 version. Seeing as how most of the people here are filthy pirates (myself included), 360 version is fine since its free. That doesnt make the 360 one any less crappy, since its a non-hd final fantasy game!!!

p.s. - I have FF13 on PS3 pre-ordered too.

Not really, since i don't pirate 360 games, i buy them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning