FFV slowdown

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Irissama, Nov 17, 2006.

Nov 17, 2006

FFV slowdown by Irissama at 5:50 PM (1,870 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

Hey guys,

I have a supercard SD, updated to the latest firmware (1.7). I have downloaded FFV and I processed it through supercard 2.57 and... well, when you reach the first cave I notice there is a major slowdown and I can even see a little glitch in the dialog boxes.

Am I the only one? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

2. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    As someone that owns the original game, I can tell you that there is no slowdown at that point or glitches. Might be the settings you used?

3. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

Well... All I did was run the rom in the program. I did not modify any settings. Here they are:
    Enable Save
    Enable Saver Patch
    Enable Real Time Save
    Enable Restart

4. FranckKnight

Member FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I used default settings, no extras like save states and reset, and it worked fine at full speed from what I saw. I have a M3 Perfect.

I personally don't like using those 'extra features' in msot games, I leave them as they are.

5. miniCooperS

Member miniCooperS Advanced Member

United States
    I noticed a little slowdown when I put it on my G6Lite, so rather than play around with the settings, I put it on my old XROM 512 GBA flash cart and it works perfectly.

Maybe try some different settings?

6. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Irissama: RTS and Restart will cause slowdown with supercard (it checks for buttons being pressed every cycle). Try without those two.

7. miniCooperS

Member miniCooperS Advanced Member

United States
    Thats interesting. I didn't know that. Does that apply for the G6Lite as well?

8. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

That worked! It runs smoothly now and the glitch too is gone. Thanks a lot!

Apparently it slowed the battles too cuz now they are much faster as well...

EDIT: Well it still slows a bit when you hit a town or something like that with lots of moving sprites. But it's far from being as annoying.

9. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

...Well I just noticed another problem.

By removing these two options I do gain in speed but I suddenly cannot use the l+r+the other two keys I can't remember so I can save my game...

Whoops?

10. bionicspider

Newcomer bionicspider Member

United States
    Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? If you don't have the latest firmware try doing a QPC save. If you did upgrade to the latest firmware, you won't be able to save--or even do a QPC save if you have the new firmware--FF V unless you enable the "restart" and "saver" settings in the patcher, but, as you experienced, these settings cause major slowdown.

I got help in another forum to quell this problem; this is what I did. Run your FF V rom through your SC patcher with every setting turned off except the "saver" option. Now run the resulting rom file through the "fastrestart-v0.1" program.

You won't notice significant speed ups when too many sprites are on the screen, but the battles are now tolerable. When you want to save your game, do an in-game save, and then do a "L+R+Select+Start" to reboot to the SC menu; from here, navigate to the "saver" menu and select your FF V's .sav file and write it to your flash memory.

11. innercy

Member innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

erm.im using sc with all option turn on and it works fine...i use software 2.56 with fw 1.63.
    -battle mode work flawlessly.but some minor slowdown in town.

12. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

Yep, I have upgraded to the latest firmware but at worst I can always downgrade. But what is the Fast Restart v0.1 program??

13. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

Okay, well I found out that fast restart program by running a search here and it works like a charm! Here is what I did.

When I was just enabling the "enable save" option without running in through fast restart, strangely enough, I could not do the l+r+a+select.

But as soon as I ran it through the fast restart ,the key combination became available again and runs sweetly! So that's the only option I have. And it works just great, minus the slowdown in towns. It's better than the "restart" option where you can use lrselectstart because that way, you don't have to restart the game all the time by going to the SC menu...

So... YAY!

14. Nookadum

Newcomer Nookadum Member

Philippines
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know if pfpatch alleviates the problem with the slowdown in towns/dungeons/Mode7 effects on a SuperCard SD/MiniSD? I know they are very minor, but they are kind of an annoyance for me. [​IMG]

15. Irissama
    OP

Newcomer Irissama Member

It seems to work a *BIT* better with Pfpatch. But there are still slowdowns.

Either way I had this for my pfpatch test: enable Save, enable saver patch, enable restart.

If I just turn on the Enable Save, I'm unable to use the l+r+a+select to save my game to the SD, unlike with fastrestart.