maz-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xblackoutx said:
I need some tips on how to defeat that sand monster thing (the pearl hunting quest). It keeps sucking my guys in and replenishing its health.

I haven't attempted that quest yet, but I'm near that point in the story..what are your characters' levels? Maybe they're too low.
Also, what's your party like? Jobs etc.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been hearing that you want four people with Counter to go in swinging for melee, as well as two White Mages/classes with curing magic for the battle. Have your four tanks jump in immediately and start attacking, and anytime it uses the wide-range attack and hits all four people, they should immediately Counter it one after the other pretty much destroying the boss in little to no time.

I haven't gotten there yet though it's the next story mission I have to do. I just got myself AP^ 3 and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
biggrin.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, now that you mention it...I'm pretty sure Sidewinder would do massive damage since it's still a monster, right? If you have a lot of Humes or somehow have Grias before that battle, a ton of people with Sidewinder mastered (and put on the secondary A-slot) could probably make the battle a lot faster.

I've also heard that you should generally ignore the other antlions since they respawn immediately anyway. Just work on the big boss first and it'll all be over.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't level the abilities themselves, just that having a large number proves helpful, or having the right combination, etc...

All you can do is get AP that goes towards Mastering each ability so you can permanently retain it across equips and jobs.

chelbyluo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The counter thing doesn't work - I tried but for some reason counter doesn't work against not-physical-attack. This thing just isn't working for me and I can't lvl up any more cos I've run out of quests to do!

frown.gif

What lvls where people when they did this quest? I'm getting really frustrated with it.

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so i'm confused, can you just leave one monster remaining on any battle and have your party beat each other up to earn experience? or not... otherwise I am screwed for this quest just like you guys
frown.gif

alfa01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took me a couple of tries, but I was finally able to do it by using characters that have heavy physical attacks like my dragoon and paladin and putting them right next to the monster. Ignore the other enemies and move near the bottom and focus on the sand monster since the other enemies regenerate and he can deal damage from any place on the screen. I also clumped my characters together around a white mage to cura all at once and I had regen as my ability. I had a dragoon, soldier, two people with black magic ability, an archer and white mage (although 2 people had white magic ability). Hope that helps.

Dumb newbie question, off topic: how the heck do I equip phoenix downs?
blink.gif
I haven't figure out how to use them yet.

Archenyte

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xblackoutx said:
I need some tips on how to defeat that sand monster thing (the pearl hunting quest). It keeps sucking my guys in and replenishing its health.

keep a klot of people near him with counter so if he uses gravity flux he can be hit back with like 3 attacks. Use many phoenix downs to keep a weak ally so he can't drain a lot of hp and try reviving your fastest allies to attack him before he can swallow you. keep some tank to keep the ants busy and try not to kill them but blind them or status debuffs

SchuchWun

Trophies
Website
videogamehackers.ca
XP
Country
Canada
I too am stuck on this monster. I got him down to 183 but he keeps on sucking all my characters into him and stealing 88 from my stronger characters who can only do about 35-40 damage/round. How do I level up my characters or at least get them better jobs.

gamefaqs has a few things for this game but none are very good yet....

maz-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alfa01 said:
Dumb newbie question, off topic: how the heck do I equip phoenix downs?
blink.gif
I haven't figure out how to use them yet.

Equip Phoenix Downs? You do know that they're useable items like potions, right? Just use one when one of your party members is down Oo

What level are the characters of you guys? I'm about to attempt this quest now and my average party level is 24.

Suspicion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
camx said:
so i'm confused, can you just leave one monster remaining on any battle and have your party beat each other up to earn experience? or not... otherwise I am screwed for this quest just like you guys
frown.gif
You've probably found out by now but no, you can't. Characters earn xp based on their level and the levels of their opponents after battle, from what I've noticed, plus some bonus xp depending on what they do in battle, but the bonus xp doesn't get very high, so yeah.

The best way to grind levels is to just quickly go through a billion job offers. If there are no offers you want at the moment, check out Lezawhateverthehell's hut on the map. After you do it twice (once to find out he's not there, and then another time) you can sleep, the first option makes you sleep for 20 days, the second for 50 days and the third for 200 days. That makes it simple to go do repeatable, easy quests to grind.

Though the best way to grind, truly, is just doing all the quests you can, not sleeping so you can repeat ones.

Edit: For the record guys, I had one Black Mage/White Mage on healing detail just using black magic when he didn't need to use Cure and the stupid ass Thief who can't do shit for damage as my Potions master (bought about 30 hi-potions just in case, for the fight.)

The only issue I had is with his recovering health, but I could deal out more than he could heal, so all he did is delayed the fight sometimes. So yeah, you probably need two people on healing.

tdwtomcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat him by equipping a bunch of guys with Air Render. The monster is weak against air attacks. Also, the monster seems to use its pull in attack on the guy with the lowest health. If you keep reviving allies then it shouldn't be able to get much health back. Don't kill the antlions because worse ones respawn.

maz-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SchuchWun said:
How did you get them up to 24??? What classes/jobs are your characters?

I'm only like level 10 with 9 hours into the game...

Well, I just did all quests that were available, nothing special. My party looks like this, after 16 hours put into the game:
Luso: Paladin/Items
Nu Mou Black Mage/White Mage (working on Time Mage/Illusionist)
Viera Sniper/Archer
Bangaa Dragoon/White Monk
Hume White Mage/Black Mage
Adelle: Thief/Items (about to promote to Ninja)

Generally speaking, try to go for a good balace of melee, ranged and spellcasters.

Rehehelly

Trophies
XP
Country
xblackoutx said:
Hey everyone post recommendations for a good party. I think my jobs are all a bit out of balance.

I'm pretty far into the game, and not failed a single battle quest with these guys:

Luso: Fighter/Items
Bangaa: Gladiator/White Monk (air render + exorcise ;D)
Hume: Fighter/Soldier
Adelle: Hunter/Paladin
Moogle: Fusilier/Black Mage
Nu Mou: Illusionist/White Mage

Got others in my clan that I don't use primarily in battle. Such as the Bard, Hurdy. A Ranger (haven't got decent enough equipment to use him well tbh.) Cid aswell, but my Bangaa is actually stronger.

I found having counter on all melee ones works well. ..unless they get attacked from a distance haha. I like to have my melee fighters with ranged attacks (such as Aurablast for fighters, Air render for White Monks etc), so even if they can't get in close, they can still take HP.

I don't actually use potions either, I just use regen on the big battles, then cura/curaga if needed.

To those stuck on the pit monster thing:

Have two ranged characters stay back, and the melee ones just going in close (preferably with melee/air render)
I had a dragoon performing jump, and the rest just pounding. If they got hit, they'd counter. Don't worry about the small monsters, just go in for the big one. Air render seems to do way more damage than a normal attack, so use that, with the ranged characters just attacking and healing if needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: +1