Gaming FF 4 Heroes of Light vs Dragon Quest IX [buying consideration]

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone ^^

I recently .. ehh, picked up a backup copy of Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light to see whether I liked it or not to decide whether to buy it or not upon it's release in Australia. I I DID quite like it, however there were one too many downsides, IMO :'( [I have deleted it within 3 hours of downloading it already.]
1. No quick save
2. No targetting enemies
3. Far too limited item slots
4. Missing characters all the time [and apparently, they don't all join up again until near the end/ the final arc? D=]
5. Apparently, monster's stats increase to match your parties, making grinding useless [this is only 'apparently,' zero confirmation so far and a test I did with a max stats code disproved that, but such stat's are impossible to the test might have been invalid, since it might only handle 'possible stats'].

So yeah, I'm not so sure whether to buy it now, as I might regret is like 20 hours into the game or something, XD. I'm wondering whether I should buy DQ IX instead, which seemed pretty good after testing a friend's copy at school. Or, I'd settle for any good DS RPG, if people are willing to recommend me some ^^

Ones I've finished already are FFIII , FFTA 2, TWEWY, amongst others. I would avoid traditional turn based ones, but I'd make some exceptions depending on the game :L

Thanks in advance,
Justin
smile.gif

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'd seriously go with DQ:IX

has quick save
targeting
lots of item slots
you make your own chars, they never leave unless you say so.
all monsters own stats...
Great multiplayer
great afterstory
80 hours of gameplay here and still counting!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a good old-school RPG that actually challenges you, go for FF.

DQIX is more of an entry into the RPG craze. I like FF a LOT more.
smile.gif

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, thanks heaps for the quick replies
smile.gif
!

That's almost all I needed to hear. I've never been disappointed with DQ games that I've tested, and I'm sure once I get into it on a LEGIT copy, I'll be completely engrossed =Dakin

edit: WOAH slyakin you posted during my reply
tongue.gif
Yeah, I like that about FF too, and it shows up in both FFIII and FFIV, but, it's just that, this most recent release seems to be a somewhat rushed job to make some money >

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
if you're looking for a good challenge you could try Etrian Odyssey III. i've been playing it for the past two weeks (about 30hrs in) and i have not seen any disappointments yet. Game play is pretty solid, lots of fun in this game. I've played DQIX pretty good game, too much back-tracking though. Have not tried the new FF yet but it looks pretty simple, a bit too simple for the average gamer. But i've yet to try it. if you're gonna buy you best go with solid game play EO III(the only thing that sucks is story) or the all-round DQIX (nothing to complain about)

all in all good games, have fun man!!!

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'd go with DQIX =] For some odd reason this new FF has way too many problems and pacing issues. Plus a huge lack of direction. Trust me, im a huge classic gamer and they fell pretty short of classical quality. But dont get me wrong, its still a good game (If not too simple). DQIX is just so much better and has so much more going for it =] I played that game for so long and STILL have more to do in it lol

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Dragon Quest IX is by far the better game. Even though both feature character customisation, Dragon Quest IX's is vastly superior since everything you equip outside of accessories shows up on your character. There's a lot more do to outside of the main story, as well, with DQIX offering literally hundreds of extra dungeons and secret bosses on top of hundreds of quests that range from returning with a specific item to defeating a boss monster.

The story is better in Final Fantasy and I liked the wide variety of characters a lot more, but there's no way to dismiss that it feels like Matrix Software was trying too hard to take what made Dragon Quest IX such a great seller and convert that into their own game. A completely pointless exercise, since I think Nostalgia and Avalon Code (their other two non-remake DS RPGs) are incredibly good games that prove Matrix Software don't need to copy another's success to achieve their own.

So yes, all in all, buy Dragon Quest IX. It's definitely the better game.

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Definately DQIX. FF 4 Heroes of Light is not that "Final Fantasy". They screwed the art style, the fight mechanics are too weird (for me that is, dont know about others) and overall it felt like an really limited game. Go with DQIX, better multiplay and single play. You wont be disappointed.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i like ff but on this id say DQ all the way just because its a better bigger game than four warriors of light, but if you want good final fastasy like game play wait for SAGA2 later this month it was original called final fantasy legends 2 in america and i loved the that one.

justing943

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the responses everyone! ^^

My good friend helped me pick up a copy of DQIX for me yesterday, and I'll be playing it by this afternoon after school, yay!

And yeah, if the FF game was closer to games like FFIII on DS, I'd go for it for sure even if more people recommended DQIX =/. For me, this FF, to my taste, just had too many setbacks for my liking >

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"