OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
184_11580_phil fish.jpg
"Your games just suck."
-Phil Fish

Phil Fish, the indie games designer who broke onto the scene with his unpublished platformer Fez, today sparked anger by publicly deriding the work of Japanese games developers in front of a packed audience at GDC.

Following a GDC screening of Indie Game The Movie – a documentary about games design that Fish heavily features in – the Canadian Polytron developer took part in a Q&A discussion with the audience.

A standing ovation for the movie itself set the tone for an open and positive discussion about indie games with the audience, yet when an unknown Japanese developer took to the mic to ask a question, the mood visibly turned.

The Japanese developer praised the movie and said he was pleased to see how many independent developers had been inspired by games such as Super Mario Bros and Zelda since their childhood.

But when he asked what the panel thought of modern Japanese video games, Phil Fish (pictured) immediately replied “your games just suck” – a comment that sparked an audible reaction from the crowd, though some were cheering.

Others looked on awkwardly as the Japanese developer was then subjected to a string criticisms about game design flaws in his native country. The developer nevertheless thanked the panel for their response and returned to his seat.

After the Q&A many attendees were heard to be privately criticising Fish’s comments, though some went public with their complaints.

http://www.develop-o...your-games-suck
More at link.

Bitch needs to sit his ass down.

Reactions: 5 people

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the man should be entitled to his opinion, but to openly criticize the games of an entire country in such a rude and public way is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: 5 people

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Another retarded North American who thinks Japanese Devs make Loli RPGs all day. Holy Shit. Go shove shove your dick in your XBOX and play Call of Dodo.

Reactions: 10 people

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's better than playing the same shit RPG every few months.
It's not about what he said, it's how he said it. Japanese games are not exclusively RPGS either.
You're exactly right. IMO, A lot of Japanese games have many flaws that have been around for years, however, I also feel like there is a lack of innovation in Western video games. Not necessarily a bad thing for some franchises (CoD is fun every year) whereas in Japan developers like Platinum Games and Grasshopper are churning out games like Anarchy Reigns and Lollipop Chainsaw that look awesome.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dude's an ignorant douche. Generalizing an entire countries games as if they were all the same is pretty moronic, voicing said opinion in public is just retarded. It's like if someone generalized all western games to being shitty, repetitive, no-story FPS'. If this guy actually releases a game, I bet it's going to see sales losses because of this.

It's not about what he said, it's how he said it. Japanese games are not exclusively RPGS either.
You're exactly right. IMO, A lot of Japanese games have many flaws that have been around for years, however, I also feel like there is a lack of innovation in Western video games. Not necessarily a bad thing for some franchises (CoD is fun every year) whereas in Japan developers like Platinum Games and Grasshopper are churning out games like Anarchy Reigns and Lollipop Chainsaw that look awesome.

Wow it took 5 words to completely destroy your opinions credibility.

Reactions: 3 people

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

Wow it took 5 words to completely destroy your opinions credibility.
I guess you haven't played a Suda51 game.

Reactions: 2 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suda51 games feel different and at the same time fun. How can you dislike them?

Anyway, I didn't see how he can say that,really.

I kinda wanted to know the flaws they have stated.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Japan games industry – which to many is the spiritual home of the modern games – has in recent years become the subject of criticisms both from overseas and domestically. Infamous ex-Capcom producer Keiji Inafune surprised onlookers at TGS in September 2009 with a damning appraisal of the nation’s development sector. After perusing the games line-up on the TGS showfloor, Inafune lamented the lack of high-profile Japanese titles and progress the sector was making as a whole.

“Personally when I looked around [at] all the different games at the TGS floor I said ‘Man, Japan is over,’” he said.

“We're done. Our game industry is finished.”

The infamous quote caused many across the global games industry to re-evaluate the value of Japan’s contribution to the medium.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Japan games industry – which to many is the spiritual home of the modern games – has in recent years become the subject of criticisms both from overseas and domestically. Infamous ex-Capcom producer Keiji Inafune surprised onlookers at TGS in September 2009 with a damning appraisal of the nation’s development sector. After perusing the games line-up on the TGS showfloor, Inafune lamented the lack of high-profile Japanese titles and progress the sector was making as a whole.

“Personally when I looked around [at] all the different games at the TGS floor I said ‘Man, Japan is over,’” he said.

“We're done. Our game industry is finished.”

The infamous quote caused many across the global games industry to re-evaluate the value of Japan’s contribution to the medium.

But this guys not Japanese so it makes him "xenophobic" or "racist" instead of "insightful" or "revealing".

While I won't agree with such a sweeping statement, I'd be lying if I thought the ratio of good games to bad games coming out of Japan was favoring the good games part.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
Another retarded North American who thinks Japanese Devs make Loli RPGs all day. Holy Shit. Go shove shove your dick in your XBOX and play Call of Dodo.

You're just proving my point that most North Americans treat Japanese people as sterotypes. Did you know that there are actually Japanese people who don't like RPGs? Is your mind blown yet?

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're just proving my point that most North Americans treat Japanese people as sterotypes. Did you know that there are actually Japanese people who don't like RPGs? Is your mind blown yet?

But they make a lot of RPGs. An overwhelmingly large amount of them. And a lot of them fall victim to similar faults.

I certainly would never say I enjoy Japanese games over western ones. BUT THAT MAKES MY XENOPHOBIC.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country

But they make a lot of RPGs. An overwhelmingly large amount of them. And a lot of them fall victim to similar faults.

I certainly would never say I enjoy Japanese games over western ones. BUT THAT MAKES MY XENOPHOBIC.

LOL There's nothing with prefering western devs over eastern devs but when you say that all eastern devs make shit games is not opinion. It's just plain incorrect.

Reactions: 2 people

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's easy to criticize him. Yea he generalized a lot but here you have a guy who tries to make games and lives like poor just bring out this game and he does it to show that games can be more than just toys or silly teenager stuff. Then he sees the japanese devs coming out with silly shit like Lollipop chainsaw or "Moshi Moshi Titty Bouncy! Everyone Vagina Schoolgirl!!" of course he is mad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.