Few questions from an uninformed person

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Pawn, Apr 29, 2011.

Apr 29, 2011
  1. Pawn
    OP

Newcomer Pawn Newbie

Canada
    So I know diddly squat about all this jazz. I don't even own a DS, I'm looking into this for one I potentially may "borrow" from my sister. Been looking around and this site seems to be informative on this R4 business. Trying to figure out all I would need. My sis has a DS lite... not sure what firmware but the thing is like, a year and a half old or so and likely hasn't been updated since I set it up for her back then. By the looks of things I would need one of these R4 cartridges, a microSD card and the firmware stuff. I have several microSD cards kicking around so would these two things be all I need to get up and running with commercial roms? Or is there something else that I'm not seeing. If there is a guide hiding somewhere on the internet a link would be appreciated [​IMG]

http://www.bestdscard.com/supercard-dstwo-...xlll_p4245.html
    http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm

Friend told me I should buy a DS and pokemon black or white but I dun want to spend that much money on something I won't use a lot of the time. thought it would be cheaper to hijack my sisters one DS (she got an XL for her bday) and spend the $30-$40 on one of these things.

Thanks a bunch,
    Pawnty

2. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    First things first, a Supercard =/= an R4
    They're completely different animals, but I can see why some people use the term R4 in place of Flashcart.

It looks as though you've chosen to purchase a Supercard DSTWO. I have to congratulate you on that choice. It's one of the best flashcarts available, and well worth the price.

This FAQ should help you in setting up a DSTWO.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    DS + Flash Cart + MicroSD + Computer that can read the MicroSD.

All you'll need.

4. Pawn
    OP

Newcomer Pawn Newbie

Canada
    K well, I've got them all. Though I assume naturally that a MicroSD card with a higher class would be better since you are reading the games off of it? All my MicroSD cards are class 2 but I'm looking into buying an 8 GB class 6.

All in all with the DSTWO and the 8gb class 6 microSD card it would cost about $50.

5. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    higher classes don't matter that much for playing DS Games, it will however, make transferring files over to your microsd card much faster

and that FAQ Vulpes linked to is quite outdated, i'd recommend taking a look at this updated one

6. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    A flashcard/flashcart is a generic term for a custom DS game cartridge that runs unsigned code that otherwise wouldn't be able to run on the DS (including game backups).

First off, it's a DS Lite so you don't need to worry about firmware updates. Only the DSi gets those.

Second, there's a ton of flashcarts, and the R4 is one of the oldest, hence why people tend to refer to flashcarts as R4s. However, the Acekard and DSTwo are the most popular ones.

The DSTwo is indeed a great cart, arguably the best as long as you can afford it. It's also good for newbies such as yourself as it has built-in anti-AP measures so you don't need to patch your ROMs.

7. Pawn
    OP

Newcomer Pawn Newbie

Canada
    Oh, so an R4 is essentially a specific flashcart like the DSTWO is a specific flashcart, I see now.

That sounds very handy [​IMG] I could probably figure out how to patch roms if I needed too though, can't be too difficult.
    This all sounds a hell of a lot easier than back in 2006 when I modded my psp with exploiting lumines and various complicated procedures haha.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Even PSP hacking has gotten easier, you can not just run the hacking program from the memory stick menu...

9. Pawn
    OP

Newcomer Pawn Newbie

Canada
    Yeah haha, ever since Geohot found the keys for the ps3 and psp. I used a pandora battery for mine.

10. Pawn
    OP

Newcomer Pawn Newbie

Canada
    One More question. The OS from the DSTWO, does it install onto the DS and replace the original OS or does it boot seperately off the flashcart?

11. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    All flashcarts handle things within the flashcart itself. The console is NEVER modified unless you decide to look up the old flashme sort of stuff or if you have one of those shitty N5 clones that could actually blow out a fuse in your DS.

12. Terminator02

United States
    basically it loads the DS menu like normal and then you launch into the flashcart's menu like you would launch into a standard DS game

13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Everyone talks down FlashMe (understandable due to bricking risk). But I don't quite get why, because if you're not an idiot its super easy to do. I did it first time through without even plugging in my DS Lite, then did it on my brother's as well first try. Just for the simple point of removing the health warning.

14. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    If you are willing to risk bricking something that cost you a considerable amount of money to skip a screen that would normally taken a press of a button to skip anyway you are either incredibly retarded or incredibly lazy. No offence, but it's true.

15. Terminator02

United States
    and plus that voids your warranty, and people can tell you've been messing with it, flashcarts leave no trace