Hacking Few questions about Playstation 1 and PSP on PSVITA

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey folks,

Just bought a PS VITA (delivered tomorrow morning, can't wait !).
I've been a huge fan of the hacking scene of PSP since its beginning and my favourite games are PS1, PSP and Gba games. It is why my PSP was perfect, I could play perfectly to these games.
But, I learnt very soon that the PS VITA could emulate PSP (and so PS1) through ADRENALINE, so I bought it ! (Thinking (legitimately?) it was just a better PSP)

I have some questions about Adrenaline:

- Running Adrenaline to play PS1 or PSP games drains battery life faster than, if I can say NORMAL use of the PS VITA ?
- Is there any other way to play Plastation or PSP games without Adrenaline, and is it as fluid and fast ?
- I hacked my 3DS and installed RetroArch to emulate a lot of supports => Are there specific emulators (for snes, nes, gba...) or is it better to install RetroArch and play through it ?

Bonus question: All I want is to play PS1 and GBA games, is it perfectly fluid on Vita ?

Thanks guys !
See you soon.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Adrenaline should use less battery than your average Vita game if anything. Its not really emulation, its running the old PSP processors at their original clocks.
- You can run PS1 games under PCSX-rearmed in Retroarch, though many games will have mild to severe slowdown. 2D stuff like SotN seems to run fine. Don't see much reason to use over adrenaline though. Again the PSP CPU seems to be at iteration on PS1 so with Adrenaline its more like backwards compatibility into backwards compatibility, no emulation of CPUs going on so its highly efficient and accurate.
- gPSP under retroarch is the fastest GBA emulator running most stuff fullspeed, although its not compatible with all games, particularly 3D ones. VBA is also built into Retroarch and you can also download mGBA as a standalone, these tend to be more compatible but may run a number of games a bit slow.
- as for other standalones, Dedaleusx64 is a fairly promising N64 emulator. UAE4All2 is great for Amiga. FBAlpha/Neo organizes your arcade stuff and later versions include necessary frameskip. VICEVita was recently released for C64 emulation. For the most part your emulators are in Retroarch though, not a ton of advanced bespoke homebrew on Vita compared to PSP.
- You can always run the huge library of PSP homebrew via Adrenaline for more bespoke emulators, caveat that under Adrenaline these only have access to PSP CPUs and resolution.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much !

Do you know if playing a playstation 1 game through Adrenaline gives the same perfect experience as running it on a PSP?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part yes, its still emulating PS1 using the same method the PSP does. Fortunately it does also take the Vita resolution into account and you can also map the touchpad or touchscreen to PS1 buttons.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part yes, its still emulating PS1 using the same method the PSP does. Fortunately it does also take the Vita resolution into account and you can also map the touchpad or touchscreen to PS1 buttons.
There is a plugin for the rez called sharpscale that does a fine job

Reactions: NeoGranzon

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a plugin for the rez called sharpscale that does a fine job

Far as I've figured out this has a *very* narrow use on handheld vitas: displaying PS1 resolutions != 320/640px wide in square pixels. (which does enable 1:1 integer scale in select games) If you want 4:3 resolutions and especially blown up it doesn't really offer anything unique.

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much for your answers guys.
I should be receiving my first ps vita this afternoon (ordered two 2000 models).

Here is my plan: I know one of them is on 3.61 official FW. So I will upload it to 3.65 to downgrade it to 3.60 then install the permanent 3.60 CFW.
If I want to play to all my gba games and Psx eboots I should install adrenaline, right ?
I definitely have to find a process to play Vitagames .

Thanks again guys

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your answers guys.
I should be receiving my first ps vita this afternoon (ordered two 2000 models).

Here is my plan: I know one of them is on 3.61 official FW. So I will upload it to 3.65 to downgrade it to 3.60 then install the permanent 3.60 CFW.
If I want to play to all my gba games and Psx eboots I should install adrenaline, right ?
I definitely have to find a process to play Vitagames .

Thanks again guys
The downgrade app will tell u the minimum fw for all u know that 3.61 may have an older factory fw

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is the downgrade app ?
Something I can run on my official firmware vita ?

Sorry, im very new to that vita modding scene.

Thanks a lot.

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just hacked my Vita, adrenaline works fine and GBA and PSX Games too.

Just a problem: Adrenaline crashes every first time I launch it but works perfectly the second time. Any fix ?

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just hacked my Vita, adrenaline works fine and GBA and PSX Games too.

Just a problem: Adrenaline crashes every first time I launch it but works perfectly the second time. Any fix ?
This plugin
b796b315bdfac9ce17e368238af7896f.jpg

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, just went in Autoplugin to install it.
Something is wrong: The circle is yellow and when I go in my plugins manager, the line:
ur0:app/pspemucfw/sce_module/adrenaline_kernel.skprx is orange and it says "the plugin is missing".

EDIT:

Ok, just modified the line

ur0:app/pspemucfw/sce_module/adrenaline_kernel.skprx

into

ux0:app/pspemucfw/sce_module/adrenaline_kernel.skprx

And it works fine. Adrenaline is running without any pbms or lags.

I just need to find out a plugin that fixes the resolution of native PSP because the screen seems kinda blurred and zoomed.

Last edited by Andorin,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While in Adrenaline hold the PS button to bring up menu, then settings. That should get you Adrenaline menu options. Go to the tab with graphic settings. PSP X and Y should be 2.0 which means perfect 2x integer upscaling (this should be the default), full PSP screen should be displayed with nothing cut off. You can also scroll through the scale filters to adjust how "blurry" it looks. Bilinear or sharp bilinear (no scanlines) with smoothing off should already be zero blur, but you can make things appear even sharper/more distinct with the sharp bilinear (scanlines) and LCD options. Also note you can shave off a frame of lag by using the Original setting which disables Adrenaline filters, but then you will have to go to Official Settings (from Adrenaline Menu) for a game and disable bilinear filtering in there if you don't want blur.

If you want to try and run PSP games in the Vita's native resolution there is ge_patch, but frankly it doesn't run that well in many games and completely breaks some.

bluefox9er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey folks,

Just bought a PS VITA (delivered tomorrow morning, can't wait !).
I've been a huge fan of the hacking scene of PSP since its beginning and my favourite games are PS1, PSP and Gba games. It is why my PSP was perfect, I could play perfectly to these games.
But, I learnt very soon that the PS VITA could emulate PSP (and so PS1) through ADRENALINE, so I bought it ! (Thinking (legitimately?) it was just a better PSP)

I have some questions about Adrenaline:

- Running Adrenaline to play PS1 or PSP games drains battery life faster than, if I can say NORMAL use of the PS VITA ?
- Is there any other way to play Plastation or PSP games without Adrenaline, and is it as fluid and fast ?
- I hacked my 3DS and installed RetroArch to emulate a lot of supports => Are there specific emulators (for snes, nes, gba...) or is it better to install RetroArch and play through it ?

Bonus question: All I want is to play PS1 and GBA games, is it perfectly fluid on Vita ?

Thanks guys !
See you soon.

Retroarch is a fail for GBA and a few others, it won't even load Atari vis ROMS when you load the Atari Stella core. Try and use stand alone emulators. Funnily enough the best GBA emulator runs from adrenaline...and emulator running from an emulator, if you will.

Retorarch is bestir suited for pi enthusiasts, etc, it's not well suited for the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn